BlueAngel

Cheapest (but safe) DZ To Rack Up Jumps?

Hey all :)

Just wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can rack up as many jumps as possible as quickly and cheaply as possible. i'm looking to get 200 jumps done out of the way as quickly as I can, but need to find a DZ which is reputable and cheap to get them done... can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm happy to travel anywhere in the world given the cost of this endeavor, so yeah, any suggestions gratefully received :)

Thanks in advance :)

"Get 200 jumps OUT OF THE WAY"??????

you might rather want to Savor those jumps...

do them at a pace which will allow you to get the most outta each one....

LEARN as much as you can..
That takes pre-jump planning... inclusion of targeted learning objectives, Post jump debriefs, and ASSESSMENT of the accomplishments or lack thereof,, for EACh jump.....

are you trying to "build numbers"????
or " build knowledge"?..

"reputable and cheap" don't often go hand in hand...
I want Cheap... when i'm buying a lawnmower, or getting gasoline, or shopping for groceries... NOT when i'm going skydiving....

good luck[:/]

jt
A 3914
POPS 3935
D 12122

Ah, I'm quite keen on learning to use a wingsuit and other advanced skills, but I want to do it as safely as possible. For this I need to do a course and I need a minimum of 200 jumps before I can do any of the reputable courses. Hence the requirement for 200. Sadly I don't really want to spend too much time skydiving itself, as, for me, it is a means to get the skills I need to do what I want, rather than an end in itself. Also, I'm a firm believer in getting things done as quickly as is reasonably practicable in order to make sure the experience is best used (i.e. no month long periods of inactivity).

Many thanks jimmy, I fully agree with what you are saying, I certainly didn't mean to suggest I wanted to rush through the jumps at the expense of learning how to skydive, rather get them done as fast as possible with the objectives you mentioned fully accommodated for. As I mentioned, I appreciate after you replied, I'm not skydiving as an end in itself, but rather as a necessary skill I need to master to move on to what I specifically want to to. Still, I fully agree with what you said, and fully accept that reputable and cheap are not usual bedfellows, but still, given that I don't want to sacrifice safety, what are the cheapest options available to me?

Apologies for not making this clearer in my original post.

you found the place already!

its HERE!

oh wait, you said jump-, not post-numbers..

i think your post made a couple of people decide to make TIME IN SPORT just as important as numbers alone.. :S

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I went scuba diving with a guy once who was looking to log a large number of dives as quick as possible for a master diver challenge.

One saturday we went out to a quarry and he would go down to 20 feet and sit there for 20 minutes before coming up. Rinse and repeat.

Let's just say that if I am ever on a trip and I have the option between a dive master who has done the minimum required number of dives but they have been real dives, more than just the 20 minutes at 20 feet, I would choose them over the 20 feet for 20 minute guy any day.

200 jumps is not just a quantity of jumps, it is a quantity of experience.
blog: http://www.pwlk.net/blog

FYI...the 200 jump minimum for wingsuiting is an "experienced based" requirement, not solely a jump number requirement.

Do you think doing 200 Hop and pops will prepare you for a wingsuit? Do you think never having done any RW will "benefit" you in doing wingsuits?

The 200 jumps are there for you to have experienced a wide variety of scenarios before getting yourself tied into a wingsuit. And I say "tied" for a reason.

But hey, who the hell cares right? No need to have any respect for safety oriented minimums in skydiving.

As for cheap jumps...I heard Lodi does $5 hop and pops. FWIW, have you though about wingsuit BASE? There's honestly no minimums there. You could go out and buy a Super Mach 1, some BASE gear and jump until something happens.

Enjoy!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

The minimum of 200 jumps for wingsuiting is NOT to get you to fall out of an airplane 200 times it's so you LEARN stuff, be aware of your surroundings, know how to fly with others, get some experience in different situations, like that. I for one would hesitate to give you a first flight course even if you have 200 jumps in a short time if this is your attitude. 200 jumps is the bare minimum for wingsuiting, we'll want to see a well-rounded aware safe skydiver too not a rushed single-minded (= often bull-headed in my experience) one. My tip: know your goals, by all means get a lot of jumping in if you can afford it, but make sure you enjoy the journey! Learn all you can along the way, for wingsuiting (generalizing here) this means heading control and awareness, keeping cool when dealing with serious freefall instability and spinning canopies, belly docking skills, precision landings (for those outlandings you'll most likely have a lot more of when you start wingsuiting) and general head-up-ness. Then again, if you haven't even taken a first jump course yet, you have no idea what you're talking about, jumping may not even be for you at all let alone the more restrictive wingsuiting which many skydivers find scary or at least uncomfortable. Or you may fall in love with belly flying, freeflying or canopy relative work yet :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ah, many thanks dragon 2, I really appreciate your reply. I appear to have given the impression that I'm being reckless as to wanting to do this as quickly as possible, which was not my intention. It is merely that jumping out of planes isn't exactly what I want to do long term, I would prefer to be able to get into BASE as quickly and safely as possible (I appreciate that this may not be a subject to discuss here, but perhaps over at basejumper.com so I'll leave that matter for now). Given this, yes, I will be focusing on canopy control and precision landings as well as controlling free fall instability, but still, i would like to move on from skydiving as quickly as possible (as and when it is safe to do so, please let this be understood). Also, yes, I have done my AFF and almost have my A license. I appreciate I'm only new to this sport, but I do know what I want to do, and I'm just trying to find out the best way to go about it, as safely and quickly as possible. Many thanks to all the replies telling me I'm not focusing on safety, but I apologise, I had not presumed that it would have been assumed that I wanted to do this training at the expense of safety.

Still, thank you all for your concern, but really, I'm not trying to throw caution to the wind, but ask how to go about doing it as quickly as possible with full regards as to safety and the development of appropriate experience. There are only so many times I can say this before it becomes redundant.

We rag on the guys who start wingsuit BASE (or just BASE) early without the proper skydiving. Yes, he's trying to get by with the "minimum" skydiving experience, but that's still better than most folks who want to skirt the limits.

To the OP, I'd strongly suggest doing your experience acquisition in several sessions rather than one marathon. Do 50 jumps in a month or so, then let it sink in some, and figure out for yourself what holes you have in your knowledge. After you've got your goals for the next 50 jumps, do them, and repeat the evaluation process.

You have a firm goal. But anyone who has a goal knows that you have to check your direction periodically, because progress is never exactly as you plan it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah, thank you Wendy. This is indeed my plan. I was rather surprised at the responses I've got so far, everyone seems to be misreading what I have said and presuming I'm suggesting cutting corners and blindly diving out of planes. This was not what I intended, and, upon re reading what I've said, neither what I actually said nor even suggested. Still, thanks for clarifying the situation for me, I'll ensure I go somewhere else to ask questions in future.

Apologies to all for any misunderstandings. I'll be sure to phrase any further questions more clearly to avoid similar misunderstandings.

Thanks Wendy for not railing the OP like everyone else. My first thought was the guy wants to do 200 jumps as quickly as possible and learn not do 200 hundred hop and pops. Maybe thats my optimistic nature. I assumed he wants to know where he can manifest on loads relatively quickly, get into some 3 or 4 or 5 ways. Then maybe do the last 50-75 or so free flying. What place has good weather and wind patterns...etc

If you're going to try to do that, I would strongly recommend not choosing a DZ based on cheapness, but rather one based on what DZ will be able to teach you the most in a short time. Cranking out the jumps is great, but 200 solos will not teach you much about wingsuit flight or BASE. (assuming wingsuit flight because most BASErs eventually want to add a wingsuit.)

Instead I'd recommend a DZ that has a good BASE/wingsuit contingent, along with some good coaches. Also choose a DZ that has a reasonable fleet of aircraft and enough traffic so that you won't be sitting on the ground waiting for a load most of the week. For wingsuiting, Davis and Lodi are pretty good. There are a lot of BASErs at Perris.

Ah, thank you billvon, really appreciated. Yes, point taken, I'll look into the DZ's you mention and consider the company at each when deciding where to go. You are absolutely right, if I have the people around who do what I want to do, they will naturally be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks again for a useful reply. I think you may have helped me reach my decision already :D.

Lots of jumps, inexpensive jump tickets are at Lodi. Excellent wingsuit flyers. Excellent Freeflyers.

I hear there are a good amount of BASE jumpers if you're so inclined.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ah, thank you Wendy. This is indeed my plan. I was rather surprised at the responses I've got so far, everyone seems to be misreading what I have said and presuming I'm suggesting cutting corners and blindly diving out of planes.

No one is misreading you. Your words were clear - get it done as quick as possible, and not really interested in these jumps, other than to be done with them. Really high currency is certainly great if you can put in the time, but there are somethings you only learn with time, or variety. (The Caribbean divemaster might do 500 or 1000 dives in a year, but send him here to Northern California and he's pretty much useless) Go to more than one DZ to get this experience.

Fortunately, assuming you live in California (your profile is useful for many reasons), Lodi is a cheap place in terms of jump tickets, is generally busy so long as there isn't the Tully fog, and has wingsuit instructors that can give you meaningful objectives during these 200some jumps.

Though if you lived in SoCal, I think it would make sense to go to Elsinore for every Excel weekend to do RW or FF with people, and I think Perris has something similar at least for RW.

One disadvantage of doing all your jumps in a short burst has to do with weather. If the burst is timed to take advantage of good weather so that you won't be delayed by weather holds.... you will miss the experience of dealing with other kinds of weather.

--- Experience with unfavorable winds when flying your pattern and landing is a very good thing.
--- Experience dealing with cloud proximity (and "industrial haze") is a good thing.
--- Experience learning which weather is gonna get worse ... once took off in "PERFECT" conditions... by the time we landed we had high/scary winds and general terror... all due to the "outflow" from a thunderstorm that "missed" us.
--- Experience with the effect of hot/humid weather on canopy performance is quite useful.
--- Experiencing cold weather at altitude & learning how to dress for it.... since wingsuiters spend more time up high.

In addition, if you are piling up the jumps really fast, you will miss many opportunities to hang out and learn from the old dogs by osmosis. 200 jumps in 20 days is only two or three Saturday evenings at the DZ...not much time to learn about the things that you haven't yet experienced.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Why? What's the rush to get in 200 jumps?

My god, man. Everyone seemed to miss what the OP was ASKING. What is this? An intervention? Just answer the fucking question! Lol.

Lodi comes to my mind. Some people say it's not the safest DZ, but that's just hear-say; I have never jumped there.

Crank those jumps out man. Have fun!

One disadvantage of doing all your jumps in a short burst has to do with weather. If the burst is timed to take advantage of good weather so that you won't be delayed by weather holds.... you will miss the experience of dealing with other kinds of weather.

--- Experience with unfavorable winds when flying your pattern and landing is a very good thing.
--- Experience dealing with cloud proximity (and "industrial haze") is a good thing.
--- Experience learning which weather is gonna get worse ... once took off in "PERFECT" conditions... by the time we landed we had high/scary winds and general terror... all due to the "outflow" from a thunderstorm that "missed" us.
--- Experience with the effect of hot/humid weather on canopy performance is quite useful.
--- Experiencing cold weather at altitude & learning how to dress for it.... since wingsuiters spend more time up high.

In addition, if you are piling up the jumps really fast, you will miss many opportunities to hang out and learn from the old dogs by osmosis. 200 jumps in 20 days is only two or three Saturday evenings at the DZ...not much time to learn about the things that you haven't yet experienced.

What is the definition of ironic?

A guy posting about why someone should not crank out a bunch of jumps because of XYZ, and his (GLIDEANGLE) fucking tag line says:

JUMP MORE; BITCH LESS

Hahhaahahhaaha

My god, man. Everyone seemed to miss what the OP was ASKING. What is this? An intervention? Just answer the fucking question! Lol.

Lodi comes to my mind. Some people say it's not the safest DZ, but that's just hear-say; I have never jumped there.

Lodi is my home DZ. idk what isnt safe about it. its a great place. $5 hop and pops and $15 jump tickets. tons of wingsuiters out there as well as RW and freeflyers. everyone out there is awsome and totally willing to help. there is TONS of traffic through that place as well as some pretty sick planes. its a great place to go. if you end up going to Lodi hit me up and ill meet ya out there.

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Lodi is my home DZ. idk what isnt safe about it. its a great place. $5 hop and pops and $15 jump tickets. tons of wingsuiters out there as well as RW and freeflyers. everyone out there is awsome and totally willing to help. there is TONS of traffic through that place as well as some pretty sick planes. its a great place to go. if you end up going to Lodi hit me up and ill meet ya out there.

1. I heard on hop-n-pops they don't cutback on jump run, and there was actually an incident where a jumper hit the stabilizer.

2. It's not a USPA Dropzone. Whether it be urban legend or not, there seems to be a consensus that because it is not governed by USPA, people don't follow the same rules.

1. I heard on hop-n-pops they don't cutback on jump run, and there was actually an incident where a jumper hit the stabilizer.

2. It's not a USPA Dropzone. Whether it be urban legend or not, there seems to be a consensus that because it is not governed by USPA, people don't follow the same rules.

1. true but the jumper was briefed on how to exit more than once and ignored the instructions. You can't stop stupidity.

2. And just what would those 'rules' be?

> true but the jumper was briefed on how to exit more than once and ignored
> the instructions. You can't stop stupidity.

Most accidents are based on stupidity. If a DZ had their Otters overfly the landing area at 100 feet, and said "DON'T TRY TO LAND HERE when the Otter is overhead!" then the only people who would get hit by the Otter would be the stupid ones.

It would still be a bad idea.

If you were planning two 40-ways, you could have them exit basically side by side; have everyone in the "north" formation track north and everyone in the "south" formation track south. It would look really cool, and the only people who would track into each other would be the stupid ones.

It would still be a bad idea.

Skydiving is not a safe sport; people screw up. The smart skydiver/organizer/pilot/DZO plans dives and operations that do not kill people even when they screw up.

I understand your points. I have a lot of hop & pops at different dzs on a non-cut jump run and don't have an issue with doing one. I know it's not for everyone and yes there can be safer ways of doing a hop & pop but I don't think we should go so far as to ban it or ostracize those who participate/allow in it. I'd rather have the freedom of choice and let each dz/jumper decide to allow it or if they can safely do it.