bill2

Question on jumping out of jets

but essentially, you're saying you could jump out of a jet at 400 - 500 mph and survive, as long as you waited for your speed to slow down before pulling.

Actually, a high speed ejection scenario has the pilot strapped into the seat with a great deal of containment, and even then legs are known to be fractures, lost, etc from the aircraft. I think if you went out the door at those speeds in a freefall configuration you'd be pretty much a torso with some raggedy looking head/limb parts stuck to it. An airliner close to stall speed would be a different story though....

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

Ok, now we're talking about something I can answer for you 100% accurately.

Back in 1991, SEAL Team 6 practiced high speed exits to see what exit speeds were possible. Their findings were anything over 220 is extremely dangerous. As far as what would be the fastest speeds? I personally have jumped at 280 mph. I know a teammate that jumped at 320. These speeds would be the absolute max exit speed I feel you could do. I can attest that it is extremely painful.

At 400+ you would break bones, rip equipment, etc...

As far as height, my max jump was 38,000 feet.

Forty-two

Airborne soldiers routinely jump out of the side doors of jets. But there is a wind deflector that goes out in front of the door to deflect the wind. Otherwise it would be next to impossible to clear the door without getting all banged up. It's great fun to fall below the deflector and enter the prop blast. But I doubt if most of these jets are going over 200 mph. We used to jump c-141's a lot. In fact I made my first jump out of one. I've heard C-5A's and other jets are jumped by para-troops today.....Steve1

Back in 1991, SEAL Team 6 practiced high speed exits to see what exit speeds were possible. Their findings were anything over 220 is extremely dangerous. As far as what would be the fastest speeds? I personally have jumped at 280 mph. I know a teammate that jumped at 320. These speeds would be the absolute max exit speed I feel you could do. I can attest that it is extremely painful.

why do you jump out of a plane at 130 mph? don't you know it's dangerous?

Holy dead thread revival batman.

Wow, old thread back to life.:)
My 2 cents? Wind resistance causes the G loads on your body, and goes up as the square of the indicated air speed. If your normal freefall speed is 110 mph, exiting at 220 mph indicated airspeed would give you a 4 G load on your body. If you go out tucked in a ball, like Billvon spoke of, your normal freefall speed is much higher, and you would feel less of a G load. Seems to be the best strategy if you ever have to leave a plane going really fast. Being in a ball also means you'll not blow as far back before falling below the plane, Much less likely to hit something on the plane.;)

Holy dead thread revival batman.

lol. if you noticed........ "What kind of planes were you jumping out of? If the SEALS found 220 mph dangerous, why did you jump out at 280 mph?"

isn't here any more..... it wasnt me, i swear! lol