bkoch

Repost

I posted this in the freefly forum, but I realize it is more of a safety question so I am reposting it here:

Just wondering - After a freeflying jump; in a sit or head down, how much altitude should I spend slowing down on my belly before I deploy my main? I want to be able to open around 3500 feet, should I allow 1000 feet to slow down or 1500 feet?

Let me know your opinion. Thanks for writing.
Brad

Hey Brad, I've been freeflying for quite a while now. The only thing you really need to worry about is just getting away from whoever you're flying with.

If you break off at 4 and pull around 3 ish you "should" be well away from the others so just pull. (oh.. and of course check your air and wave off)

Chances are you're not going much over 150 if that. As soon as you flatten out you slow down very quickly so don't worry too much about how many feet to slow down.

I've often pulled 1/2 second out of a head down and always pull in a full on track. Basically just break at 4 or 5, whatever you decide to break at, and track away, and pull. If for some silly reason you find yourself low, just flatten out and pull immediately.

Ask Cliff what he thinks and I bet he has the think about it before answering.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto