amttap

B.A.S.E. with your sport parachute rig?

you will die. just leave it at that.

That's not set in stone (not from this experiment, anyway). People have BASE jumped with way, way less suitable equipment than a Sabre2 190 before.

The most basic (and incredibly unhelpful) answers to the OPs questions are 'yes' and 'it depends.'
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

if you are not "fixin" to do it - why do you ask ?

a Sabre2 is a piss poor choice of a canopy for BASE. It's high aspect ratio ZP 9cell with microlines.

Many years ago when BD allowed Sabres, someone broke both their legs by by landing his linetwisted Sabre on the railroad tracks - a direct result of the higher aspect ratio.

Slider down Sabre with microlines will hurt, is very likely to give a severe off-heading and/or linetwists and being that you will end up needing to dbag/sleeve it due to the lack of a tailpocket it will be a fucken mess that you should avoid altogether by using normal gear.

more questions can be asked here : http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi

In short, with as far as the modern BASE gear has come, you really should be jumping a purpose built canopy/container instead of using a band-aid solution from the 80s.

Not that I'm fixin to try this but can you base jump w/ your sport parachute rig if you left your slider down? How many feet do you think it would take for a sabre II 190 to open with the slider down?

Have your buddy filmin it for sure. It'll make TV.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

You "can" BASE with whatever gear you'd like. Would it be smart to jump your Sabre2 off an object? Probably not.

You can easily find out how long it will take for it to open slider down though. Pack it that way and go do a hop and pop.

Without knowing how stupid this person is, and if they will take your advice, remember there is a good 80kts forward throw from the plane.

You go first, I'll film it.

>can you BASE jump w/ your sport parachute rig if you left your slider down?

Yes, depending on your main and how you pack it. I made my first BASE jumps with a Pursuit 215 with a tail pocket.

Note that you don't have to leave the slider down. For longer delays a mesh slider will help ensure a more orderly opening.

Also note that some mains are appropriate for BASE and some are not. Ravens, Pursuits, Cruislites etc are reasonable; elliptical ZP's are not.

Depends on the rig and the venue. My only BASE jump was at Bridge Day like 10 years ago. I jumped my big honking Falcon 265 with the slider packed down and a huge pilot chute. Opened cleanly, landed on the sandbar on the edge and didn't even get my canopy wet. I would not recommend a zero-p canopy for it.
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

you will probably die. just leave it at that.

I clarified that for him...

But it's true. Depending on what you're jumping. And do NOT do a hop'n'pop with Slider Down out of an airplane! You'll probably break your neck, badly. Maybe a balloon jump...

Start here: http://www.basejumper.com/articles/
and here: http://snakeriverbase.com/

Don't die. Please.
http://www.exitshot.com

>And do NOT do a hop'n'pop with Slider Down out of an airplane! You'll
>probably break your neck, badly.

Or damage your gear, which has the potential to kill you as well. I took a Mojo with a mesh slider out of an airplane on a hop and pop at 70kts, and the opening was firm to say the least.

I took my vented Flik293 with a mesh slider out of the Otter at Perris the first few jumps just to get some time under it. While it was not a comfortable opening it didn't damage anything. The second jump the pilot forgot they had a HnP and let me out at 6500'... Well not wanting to be the the air under a 293 with a load coming out in the near fututre I took it down to about 3000' feet before I deployed and it smacked me, but again no damage.

Regarding BASE jumping a Sabre2 190... There was a girl who wanted to go off an 2000' A with me one time using one and as cute as she was I wasn't interested in spending the night with her unwrapping her from an antenna.

When you come out of a plane with a Sabre2 190 and end up with a couple of line twists, you check your heading and kick out with plenty of altitude to spare. From a fixed object, if you have line twists under a Sabre2 190 and your not on heading you are in big trouble, moving pretty fast, with very little time to deal with the mess above you or the object in front of you...

" ... I would not recommend a zero-p canopy for it.

..."

................................................................................................

Very few ZP canopies are compatible with BASE jumping.
Triathlon 230 is the only one that comes to mind.
Triathlon 260 would be even better, if you could find one. Aerodyne only built a handful of Triathlon 260s.
Then again, Triathlon is really little more than my old Cruiselite 220 updated with modern materials.

..."

................................................................................................

Triathlon 260 would be even better, if you could find one. Aerodyne only built a handful of Triathlon 260s.
Then again, Triathlon is really little more than my old Cruiselite 220 updated with modern materials.

Rob, would you jump a 900ft cliff slider up on a Tri 230/260 ? Would you jump a 300ft antenna slider down/off on a Tri 230/260 ?

I took my vented Flik293 with a mesh slider out of the Otter at Perris the first few jumps just to get some time under it. While it was not a comfortable opening it didn't damage anything. The second jump the pilot forgot they had a HnP and let me out at 6500'... Well not wanting to be the the air under a 293 with a load coming out in the near fututre I took it down to about 3000' feet before I deployed and it smacked me, but again no damage.

Why on earth would there be? BASE canopies are designed to open at terminal with a mesh slider.

..."

Rob, would you jump a 900ft cliff slider up on a Tri 230/260 ? Would you jump a 300ft antenna slider down/off on a Tri 230/260 ?

...............................................................................................

Only if I was desperate.
I was trying to make the point that most modern ZP canopies are incompatible with buildings, antennas, spans or earth.
Triathlon is one of the few seven-cell ZP canopies.
The only obstacle I would seriously consider jumping - with a large Triathlon - would be a 600 foot bridge with few supporting pillars ... to reduce the risk during an off-heading opening.
Even in that circumstance, I would probably still sew a tail pocket and tail gate onto my large Triathlon.

A vented canopy is designed to open quickly at sub-terminal speeds. While a slider will slow it down as wil a D-Bag and rolling the nose/tail, a vented canopy still opens very quickly. When BASE jumping terminal with the same canopy I use rubberbands on the slider to further slow the openings. However I wanted to know if there wer limitations I should be aware of; either in opening characteristics or performance, so I packed with mild rolling of the tail/nose and no other mechanisms for slowing the opening.

As I mentioned previously it was a spanker, you can here me cussing on the video, but no damage to myself or the equipment. I had more confidence in my gear than I ever did previously even though I had already done a number of BASE jumps before I ever received my new rig.

Also, who knows would you rather the thing came apart at 3000' with a reserve or off a 300' cliff with nothing but rocks to break your fall. It was a good test!

A vented canopy is designed to open quickly at sub-terminal speeds.

And also to open at terminal speeds with a mesh slider.*

When BASE jumping terminal with the same canopy I use rubberbands on the slider to further slow the openings.

I don't.

However I wanted to know if there wer limitations I should be aware of; either in opening characteristics or performance, so I packed with mild rolling of the tail/nose and no other mechanisms for slowing the opening.

I don't use any of those either.

Again, absolutely no reason why it should cause damage, it's what it is made to do.

* With maybe 2 exceptions that I'm aware of.

I was not suggesting that it should do any damage I was just reflecting that it didn't. A couple of others had commented on HnP slider down with a Sabre2 190 and the damage it might cause...

I don't think a sabre2 190 HnP will open any faster than a vented BASE canopy and I don't think the opening shock at 80knts will be anything greater than taking a vented canopy with a mesh slider terminal.

I do think the consistency of opening and heading performance of the Sabre2 will be much worse. I would also think the forward speed of the Sabre2 would be much greater. The high aspect ratio of a BASE specific canopy creates a much larger frontal area which increases resistance to forward movement along with the difference in trim and control line configuration.

I think these things would influence the thought of whether to BASE jump the Sabre2 much more than the opening shock of a ZP canopy without a slider. A hard opening on-heading is much more survivable than an 180, with line twist, a lot of forward speed, and an object staring you in the face.