rhino

Skydivings deadly idea.. COOL VIDEO.

People die skydiving, even really, really good skydivers. And it makes me wonder, sometimes, why I risk it.

The plane rides, really. And my friends. And what we share.

And then one of us dies. And I breathe

Just breathe.

I hear you bro...

Thanks for posting those most flattering shots of me, JP... :P

As a camera flier that also started early but not for pay, I am amused at the arguement. I recall at 200 jumps not really being aware my camera was there except to make sure I turned it on prior to exit.. Now as a paid camera-flier, during each skydive, I am aware of whether I have a still and video, just a video, or no camera at all.. I fly differently depending on what is up there. I recognize things in the air or on the ground that make for nice backdrop scenery and adjust my angle to get it in the shot, I have made it my responsibility to understand photography such that my equipment is set up properly, and I realize it early on when I am in an uncomfortable situation... bad spot, people not tracking, etc.. I can do all of this at once while keeping the camera focused on my subject.. I did almost none of this 1,200 jumps ago.. 1,200 jumps ago, I either focused on my subject or I was aware of my surroundings... I think people can safely jump a camera early in their careers.. I also think someone doing something extraordinary (beyond their abilities) to get a cool shot or in a cool shot.. is wrong.. I, personally, won't wear my camera helmet on an AFF jump.. I want nothing to interfere with getting my job done.

Zoter, fly your camera.. but fly it like it isn't even there.. Soon, your awareness will evolve and you will be able to multitask in the sky and your photography will get keener.. And, as your awareness grows, and your skills increase, you will know, finally, that you still have so much to learn..

Maybe you are better than me, but the more jumps I have, the more inadequate I feel..
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

In general to your post.....maybe I am 'different' ....but likely not
But the arrogance of the initial statement ( ie camera<500jumps=Bad) is AS arrogant a someone with <500jumps saying they are Gods gift to camera work....simpley because there are plenty of people out there sub 500 jumps doing good camera work.

Maybe 10 years ago that wasnt the case....but then again 10 years ago....Doctors took longer to train as did Pilots as did Air Traffic Controllers.

Make a statement based on whats in the now....not whats in the past....thats all...

I'm out...nothing else to add here that isnt just negative, and thats not constructive, anyways ...I have video to review and edit, to make my performance better..........perhaps you didnt bother doing that at 200jumps........ go figure....;)

Nope, no ego here. Emelda Marcos had more shoes than you and jumps. The only arrogance here is your attitude about your ability and "performance".

You can read all the books you want, get all the advise you can, but when your world turns to shit at 2,500 feet you had better have some experience to handle all the variables you are bring with you or be damn lucky.

You are right, nothing constructive happening here.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

But the arrogance of the initial statement ( ie camera<500jumps=Bad) is AS arrogant a someone with <500jumps saying they are Gods gift to camera work....simpley because there are plenty of people out there sub 500 jumps doing good camera work.

As a guy with 500 or so camera jumps...

I've never met a cameraman who thought he was gods gift to skydiving work.

I've only met cameramen who acknowledge that they've had skydives where they struggled to stay alive.

People often talk about gaining "experience", but rarely attempt to define what that means. To me, the "experience" that you gain through jumps is meerly the humility of knowing that shit does indeed happen, and you had better be prepared.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.