Txflier

Camera question

Out of curiosity would you consider the Go-Pro camera to be put under the category of needing 200 jumps as recommended by the USPA? I meet somebody that had under 200 jumping one.

Seems to me it wouldn't pose much of a danger being so small. Curious to hear some opinions.
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

The problem isn't the size of the camera affecting the flying; it's the distracting nature of having a camera, a noticeable complicating factor, on a jump.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just playing devils advocate. Seems like if you were just flying how you normally do, but just wanted some video it wouldn't pose any distraction.

As in forget it's there and just focus on your jump.

Just playing devils advocate. Seems like if you were just flying how you normally do, but just wanted some video it wouldn't pose any distraction.

You can't. It's been demonstrated time and again. If you read the STICKY in the Photography forum, you'll read two separate examples of well-known skydivers flying outside camera, intending to "not pay attention" to the camera, and finding themselves in a jam.
It's not the size/weight of the camera that created the 200 jump recommendation. It's the way it changes the way you'll fly and what you're paying attention to whether you think you are or not.

That's low on the likely tree, for all the same reasons that someone buying a small swoopable main and promising to be very conservative is low on the likely tree.

It calls out to you on ever single jump
here I am
I'll enhance your jump experience
You can do it

And maybe you can. Unless, of course, it's the rare jump where stuff goes wrong more than one at a time. And then you're more likely to be fucked than someone with more jumps under their belt.

It's not a universal law, but it sure seems to work like that pretty often.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You can't. It's been demonstrated time and again. If you read the STICKY in the Photography forum, you'll read two separate examples of well-known skydivers flying outside camera, intending to "not pay attention" to the camera, and finding themselves in a jam.
It's not the size/weight of the camera that created the 200 jump recommendation. It's the way it changes the way you'll fly and what you're paying attention to whether you think you are or not.

damn I haven't looked around here enough lately didn't even see there was a photography forum. I would have posted this there.

N don't get me wrong I'm not planning on getting one. I'd rather spend the money on jumps since I am limited on funds being in school and no job. [:/]

@Wendy yeah your probably right. It'd probably be like a kid at christmas with a new toy wanting to play with it all the time.

The problem isn't the size of the camera affecting the flying; it's the distracting nature of having a camera, a noticeable complicating factor, on a jump.

Wendy P.

+1 What she said!!!
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Where have I heard that lol.. Oh wait I said it1150 jumps ago :$
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Where have I heard that lol.. Oh wait I said it1150 jumps ago :$

:D:D:D

just my experience..I have a go pro that i put on my freefly and full face helmet and a cookie with a TG1. When i jump the go pro i do not pay any attention to what is being recorded. I often forget it is even there (leaving it on long after landing and often forget to turn it on in the plane). This might be due to the fact that i have jumped the non camera helmets for awhile and the go pro was an add on. If it does affect my flying, I haven't noticed..maybe it does. I use the go pro when my focus is not on filming and just like to have some evidence later of a really good (or funny) jump.
Ben Gillespie
D-31054
Muff Bro #4188

just my experience..I have a go pro that i put on my freefly and full face helmet and a cookie with a TG1. When i jump the go pro i do not pay any attention to what is being recorded. I often forget it is even there (leaving it on long after landing and often forget to turn it on in the plane). This might be due to the fact that i have jumped the non camera helmets for awhile and the go pro was an add on. If it does affect my flying, I haven't noticed..maybe it does. I use the go pro when my focus is not on filming and just like to have some evidence later of a really good (or funny) jump.

were you at the deadman III Boogie??

when we are talking about those smal cameras anyway, i have a smal question.

since the size of Go-pro and other bullitcameras are so smal do you really need a cutaway on the helmet?
they are usually mounted with tape or a strap. it looks like the cameras will fall off quicker than you can cut the helmet

Check the "SBF" Section 402.06 (page 36) Point 6.3.2 and 6.3.4 (applies ONLY to helmets where the cam is put in the box from the inside of the helmet and doesn't have ANY external snag points what so ever).

So Hellis, short answer is YES!!!
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

it looks like the cameras will fall off quicker than you can cut the helmet

Unless it doesn't.

When the whole thing is tangled up in a high-speed problem, like maybe a malfunctioning main or another jumper, forces can be very high and come from weird directions.

Plastic breakaway screws are a much better way of helping a snag go away than relying on something that "looks like it'll probably fall off".

And a helmet cutaway is even better.

To the people who post in threads like these saying "but I have 120 jumps and I've been jumping camera since 100, and I'm fine", you're not. No offense to you and your kickassness, but you don't know what "fine" is.

200 isn't so many jumps to wait to gain a bit of situational awareness. And it's a bare minimum, not a guarantee of having enough experience.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

All this knowlege and only 130 some odd jumps. Where do I sign up for your next training camp and what is the cost? I just want to make sure I don't miss the sign-up deadline!! B|

Just a rant from a self proclaimed life long student of the sport.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

when we are talking about those smal cameras anyway, i have a smal question.

since the size of Go-pro and other bullitcameras are so smal do you really need a cutaway on the helmet?
they are usually mounted with tape or a strap. it looks like the cameras will fall off quicker than you can cut the helmet

Try it for yourself. Industrial doublestick is available everywhere.
We put a GoPro on a Bonehead Mindwarp and ran Spectra 500. Using an archery scale, we measured the pull (helmet in a bench-mounted vise). With the spectra wrapped over the mount itself at the tape point, just over 240lbs was required to rip the camera from the helmet. if the line was snagged at the lens, just over 100 lbs of force was required. There is no higher point on the camera which could be used as a snag point, or I'm sure the forces/leverage would have further reduced. Either way...that's a lot of force that could have quite an impact on your opening or your neck. Don't kid yourself just because it's "only tape."

We put a GoPro on a Bonehead Mindwarp and ran Spectra 500. Using an archery scale, we measured the pull (helmet in a bench-mounted vise). With the spectra wrapped over the mount itself at the tape point, just over 240lbs was required to rip the camera from the helmet. if the line was snagged at the lens, just over 100 lbs of force was required. There is no higher point on the camera which could be used as a snag point, or I'm sure the forces/leverage would have further reduced. Either way...that's a lot of force that could have quite an impact on your opening or your neck. Don't kid yourself just because it's "only tape."

That's great info DSE, thanks for posting that. A friend and I were debating how much force would be required last week at a boogie. Good to know solid data exists!
Dream my life, live my dream

That's great info DSE, thanks for posting that. A friend and I were debating how much force would be required last week at a boogie. Good to know solid data exists!

I dunno if I'd call it "solid" but it's pretty telling. Maybe the tape gets stronger or weaker over time. Maybe users don't always use alcohol on their helmets before adhering the tape, maybe maybe, maybe... it was mostly a curiosity than anything else.
Either way...it was pretty surprising to see the scale cross 200lbs pull force.
Hey....when you're not able to jump, you come up with all kinds of dumb things to occupy your time.;)

Maybe users don't always use alcohol on their helmets before adhering the tape,

I wonder how many people are going to pour beer all over their camera helmets to get the gaffers tape to stick better. "But DSE said to..." or "it was the only alcohol on the DZ."

Dave

Out of curiosity would you consider the Go-Pro camera to be put under the category of needing 200 jumps as recommended by the USPA? I meet somebody that had under 200 jumping one.

What you end up doing is wasting jumps trying to learn 2 new things. You should concentrate on learning the basic of flying you body first that is what the 200 jump limit is attempting to do. Get real good at being is the exact spot in the air at the exact time you want to. Sounds simple but try it a few times.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Maybe users don't always use alcohol on their helmets before adhering the tape,

I wonder how many people are going to pour beer all over their camera helmets to get the gaffers tape to stick better. "But DSE said to..." or "it was the only alcohol on the DZ."

Dave

You owe me a computer screen cleaning for that one.
:D