SKYgoonie

Weight belts???

Recently ive come to notice I have a real problem with being real floaty. When trying to do any RW work I just cant keep up.

I am 5'10" and barely 145 ( I used to be 155 but poor finances cut into my food budget) I have started flying mantis and it helps alot but if I do any FF jumps I usaly loose the group

I was thinking of puting some weights on but was told they realy dont have any effect after you go terminal? thought it was an interesting statment and woundering what others thought?
i only pretend to know what im doing
D.S.#619

As tight as Richard Simmons workout suit. Yea I agree. But, his point was interesting how fall rate is based on surface area drag. Only the trip to terminal will be sped up by more wieght but being the same size will result in the same fall rate
i only pretend to know what im doing
D.S.#619

I am a floaty bitch - and I freely admit it. I have had too much damage to my spine over the years to arch really well. before this last weekend I have always used a weight vest - sometimes with up to 30lbs in it and the strain on your neck from a full days jumping is terrible.

this last weekend I used a weight belt while doing relative work - it gave me the ability to match fall rates and was quite impressed with the comfort of it.

freefly - get a baggy suit, rw - get a belt.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Wow, yes thats wrong...

In freefall there are 2 forces working on you... Weight and drag.

As you jump out the aeroplane your drag is zero (if you ignore forward speed), so you accelerate downwards. When you reach terminal velocity, your drag is equal to your weight (by definition) and you dont accellerate anymore.

Drag is dependant on body possition, surface area, "skin friction" (jump suit), speed, and density.

so if you add weights the drag at terminal will have to increase, and all other things equal, this will be done by increasing your speed (terminal velocity).

So if you have trouble falling, u have the options of changing body possition, jump suit, and weight...

on the otherhand I think the only doesnt change is the time taken to get to terminal (give or take a few split second)

I'm about the same weight as you, but a bit shorter. I have a weight vest and 10 lbs of lead, that I never use anymore. If you were a lot closer, I'd just give it to you. Or, if you want, I can ship it COD. You pay the delivery guy the cost of shipping.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As tight as Richard Simmons workout suit. Yea I agree. But, his point was interesting how fall rate is based on surface area drag. Only the trip to terminal will be sped up by more wieght but being the same size will result in the same fall rate

I'm guessing this person is of a size that they've never had to wear a weight belt. His argument reminds me of all the non-skydivers who argue that all objects fall at a constant rate, so there should be no need to 'match fall rates'. :S

No one wants to rely on lead, but sometimes you can't get around it. My exit weight is 135. The other day I flew with a student who weighs 240 out the door. Pretty sure I couldn'tve done it without a little lead.

(As a side note, a little goes a long way. You'll be surprised.)

I'd jump on Billy Vance's offer in a heartbeat, if I were you.
Signatures are the new black.

I wear lead, but I'm also 6'4" 140lbs so I'm a tad floatly to say the least. I actually wore weight on some of my AFF jumps. Weight belts do help, I've seen one guy wear 3 weight belts (about 40lbs of lead) but he was on a RW team

Make a hop n' pop or two so you can adjust to your new wing loading though

I wear lead, but I'm also 6'4" 140lbs so I'm a tad floatly to say the least. I actually wore weight on some of my AFF jumps. Weight belts do help, I've seen one guy wear 3 weight belts (about 40lbs of lead) but he was on a RW team

Make a hop n' pop or two so you can adjust to your new wing loading though

I have known some of the inner base jumpers on the Skydive Chicago 300 way team in 1998 to wear up to 60 lbs of lead for a super fast fall rate, to help ensure that there were nobody going low. ;) They weren't skinny people either. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm about the same weight as you, but a bit shorter. I have a weight vest and 10 lbs of lead, that I never use anymore. If you were a lot closer, I'd just give it to you. Or, if you want, I can ship it COD. You pay the delivery guy the cost of shipping.

OP = this is a great offer - lead shot has gone up in cost over the last few years (in our area 4x)

then, once you get "bag" full of lead shot, find someone to empty that 'bag/vest' and put the shot in a proper belt - vests make one fly head low - belts keep the weight near your center where you need it

added weight increases speed (all things being equal) at a root ratio to the total weight - it's VERY effective

so is a good tunnel camp and proper application of mantis (leverages that pesky surface area thingy)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants