caspar

what was the worst canopy youve ever jumped?

I'm sure this is going to go over big, but the absolutely worst canopy i ever owned was an Atair (Cobalt) 170^2. It's a sad day when deployment time is the scrariest part of your skydive. I put 35 jumps on it and sent it bck to be inspected, well they inspected it for a year, then offered to do an "H" mod on it, i declined. in the mean time i bought a HeatWave, one of the best canopies i've ever owned. I fly an Icarus now, great canopy!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

ive only got 400 jumps but the single worst canopy ive ever flown was a glidepath clipper... bought is out of the newspaper classifieds for a newbie friend "parachute-900$" came in a vector 2 w/a raven

i was scared to deploy after the first one... slam slam slam... worse than a terminal base opening...

a close second was my first canopy, a 1984 "black rainbow" pd190..
no flare, super porous.

btw.. everyone who said sabre150 was the worst canopy.. youre packing it wrong.

i didnt care for the firebolt139 too much either.

Triathalon 99, filming 4way CRW;not my choice, but the Team's sponsored kit.

It flew like a brick propelled at a constant 45 degree angle. The flare was merely another means of achieving freefall - there are still the ploughed tracks marking my arrival in several places at DZ's in North of England.
Life is a four letter word!

Hi Caspar
yep it was a freaky combination clusterphuck.
I went in with the slider still up. I got peripheral ground rush , looked at the ground and wacked in on a soft slope ending up with my face firmly planted in the dirt. A naturally excellent plf saved my life ....that and the fact it had rained the night before. Sorry can't elaborate right now as travelling and on a pay per second link.
cheers
Trae

Easy. A few years back, canopy manufacturing folks would give me their wares. One company gave me a parachute on the condition that i NEVER sold it or let other people jump it. It was a nice white 219 sq ft 7 cell. It was the canopy they used to initiate new people into the parachute sewing trade. The lines were 18 inches different from riser to riser.
. . It took up to about 1200 feet to open. At this era (mid 1970s), folks did not pull until about 1700 feet.
. . Being patient and dumb allowed several jundred jumps with only 3-4 cutaways.
. . True to my word to the Mfgr., I did not let any human jump it when I was 'done.' Instead, I gave it to team mate Mark Sechler who made many more jumps before consigning it to a dumpster.
. > Far more patient than I, Mark only had 1 or none chops. When it came to gear, he was very patient and understanding of the problems spastic canopies have with inflation.

Today, both the canopy and Mark are dead. I really miss Mark. I loved him lots.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Well Matt, I remember talking to you about it during the demo. I'm sure that my leg straps were even, and I wasn't shifting in my harness. I'll also be fair and say there may have been other issues that I didn't explore.

In the defense of Flight Concepts....I flew many of their canopies during my student progression and they were fine. Also, they have been very good to many people, especially the military. ALSO, Red's customer service is fantastic.

It may have been the ONE I jumped?

Now stop ragging on me :P

mmmmmm.....like tom said.......Cobra 10.....blew 2 up, never more than 10 jumps each in my case......never could land that bastard comfortably at 1.1:1 anyway. Traded over to a Comet (7 cell, F111) which , for the day, was an excellent all round canopy.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Why should that matter?

He will have plenty of stuff to read about after Saturday.

I am handing him all sorts of print items. They all go inline with landing technique. His Saturday could have been better.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Hi Caspar
yep it was a freaky combination clusterphuck.
I went in with the slider still up. I got peripheral ground rush , looked at the ground and wacked in on a soft slope ending up with my face firmly planted in the dirt. A naturally excellent plf saved my life ....that and the fact it had rained the night before. Sorry can't elaborate right now as travelling and on a pay per second link.
cheers
Trae

when you get the chance, it would be great to hear the whole story, if you can remember all of it [ i know id probably drink so much after something like that, that any memory from the last day or so would be hazy at best :)
out of interest, would yanking really hard on your front risers help? get the nose even more exposed to the air?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Are you saying that altough they are even, there may be room to shift? Explain?

I suspected "built in turn" on my gear, but it was flying strait again after I check my leg straps for feeling even and not measuring if they could be the same amount of excess...

Delta II - Freaky opening and random turns.

I had one of them. Don't forget that the opening could be instant or up to 20 seconds. Also, get one line out of place in the OSI wrap, and you were toast.

ThunderBow - Why did they even put steering lines on it ??

To change the view on the way down.

I still have my Paradactyl. It was getting jumped last weekend at Byron. It's a reserve Dac, so it you take it past 10 seconds, you better count your nuts after the opening.

Triathalon 99, filming 4way CRW;not my choice, but the Team's sponsored kit.

It flew like a brick propelled at a constant 45 degree angle. The flare was merely another means of achieving freefall - there are still the ploughed tracks marking my arrival in several places at DZ's in North of England.

Lucky you weren't jumping the AR-7 rotation canopy. If you wanted to know where you going to land at 1000 feet, just drop a brick. It followed about the same trajectory as you were.

in reply to "out of interest, would yanking really hard on your front risers help? get the nose even more exposed to the air?

If you've got the time -pulling on the rear risers would probably be better.
In my situation I only had time to see the snivel before perihperal ground rush made me look down snap my feet together and land. I've met more than one person who had a raven reserve snivel. One was not as lucky as me and went trough a tree busting his legs and hips. He kept jumping though.

:)

edited to add nothing against modern raven reserves . they fixed the problem. Now I jump a micro raven but use it as least as possible;)

That reminds me of the story I was once told about the AR-7.

A friend supposedly was about to go up and jump the AR-7 for the first time and he asked advice from others about how to land it. He was told to take a rock with him and at 100 feet above the ground to drop the rock, and that would tell him where he would land. He took the rock up and dropped it but it disappeared. He pounded in and just after picking up his head after the landing, the rock hit him square in the head!!!

a demo canopy from a company I wont name.

It jacked me so bad on every opening...lets just say it gave me a concussion... as a packer who packs himself nicey nice openings all the time...and after reading the packing manual it was found by company that canopy was seriously out of trim....

oh well if that is the worst canopy I have jumped I must be a yuppie bitch

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

That reminds me of the story I was once told about the AR-7.

A friend supposedly was about to go up and jump the AR-7 for the first time and he asked advice from others about how to land it. He was told to take a rock with him and at 100 feet above the ground to drop the rock, and that would tell him where he would land. He took the rock up and dropped it but it disappeared. He pounded in and just after picking up his head after the landing, the rock hit him square in the head!!!

:D:D:D

i hope to god thats a true story. thats seriously funny.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Yes, that sounds like the canopy. Another jumper owned it and talked me into trying it.
Another lousy canopy was my first, and so far only, reserve ride a Hobbit. Opened nice but I didn't like the landing characteristics. But only used it once so maybe it was just me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin-