caspar

what was the worst canopy youve ever jumped?

Worst?

An early Raven reserve that snivelled me into the deck..

Best thing was no hurties:)

woah, you cant stop there!

the canopy snivelled into the deck? as in it didnt open fully when you "landed" on the ground? :o if thats the case, youve got to tell the story properly, sounds about as scary as it gets!
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

paracommander Mark III? j/k, actually, that canopy was just fine.

It'd be a tough call between a manta 288 with 3000+ jump on it (which couldn't flare for shit even with my whopping 125 lbs beneath it), and a raider 220 also with 3000+ jumps on it (which I had resolved to take in on 7 cells until the last two on the right hand side popped out at 500 ft... it was flying strait and level and controllable, so I figured what the hell?!?)

I prefer my Sabre2:)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Had to be my Cobra 10. It was my first square, so I didn't really know the difference from what and besides I only weighed about 165 lbs in those days. But the thing was constructed so poorly that it started to tear out at the ribs after only 65 jumps. Sent the fucker back to Para Flite, where it was "repaired" and got maybe another 50 jumps on it before it tore out again. What a piece of shit. and made by Para Flite no less (in those days they had the stature that PD enjoys nowadays, the difference being that PD actually deserves their reputation, where para Flite just bullshitted their way until their market abandoned them).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The worst canopy I had was an old Sabre 150. Every jump was like Russian roulette. You never know when you were going to get hammered.

Reads like a description of my last 2 summers. Usually pretty good, occassionally crisp, once or twice per year - BRUTAL!

Getting a modified slider put on now.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Intersting! I once owned a Falcon 215 and loved it.

With you there. I grew up on a 215 Falcon. It was a very good first canopy - though due to a combination of it's inability to cut into the wind, my newness as a canopy pilot, and my unwillingness to sit out whenever the winds were over 5 mph; I think I probably had the highest percentage of off-DZ landings than anybody in Baldwin for about 2 or 3 years running. No emergencies, just a lot of alfalfa and wheat field landings. Got to know most of the neighbors.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

The worst one I recall was a twenty eight foot cheapo over LAND! Ouch. Only twice, and the power line broke my fall on the first one, because it snagged the canopy. :S

I jumped something called a "Titan" that truly sucked.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Inteceptor 225. Someone talked me into buying a CRW canopy as my first canopy. Not much lift even with a perfect flare. Cool breezy days were welcomed. Hot days with no wind sucked. Although most of my landings were stand up, they still hurt.

One time, when I first bought it, I landed it poorly and a CRW Dog instructed me to start double front riser landings. He told me to watch him on his next jump. I did and he pounded in after he rode them too long. Needless to say, I never took his advice.

T-10 + an Ohio cornfield=Ouch!

Falcon deployed at terminal=Snap!

Agreed nickDG. The Nova was the worst all time canopy.

I watched a jumper fall out of the sky at Eloy a few years back on one. He was landing by manifest and the otter was making a turn to head out to the runway. The prop wash buckled the canopy like a kleenex. He bounced from about 20 ft. and got up! I was amazed..he should have been dead! He didn't know they were grounded!!!

Intersting! I once owned a Falcon 215 and loved it.

With you there. I grew up on a 215 Falcon. It was a very good first canopy - though due to a combination of it's inability to cut into the wind, my newness as a canopy pilot, and my unwillingness to sit out whenever the winds were over 5 mph; I think I probably had the highest percentage of off-DZ landings than anybody in Baldwin for about 2 or 3 years running. No emergencies, just a lot of alfalfa and wheat field landings. Got to know most of the neighbors.

For what it's worth, it was the first F111 canopy I flew after learning to fly on PD Navigators. The Nav 200 is my current favorite, and compared to it, the Falcon flew as though there were some sort of pilot->esperanto->canopy translation going on. I'll concede that I may be mixing up Zp/hybrid vs. F111 and Falcon vs. Other canopies, but the openings were consistantly painful.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

a "friend" loaned me a PD190 when I was a new jumper. When he gave it to me he said it had about 400 or 500 jumps on it, but it should still be ok. After two full weekends of pile driving myself into the ground he finally let on that it "might" have over a thousand jumps on it.:|

He then tried to convince me that speed equals lift and that if I were to double front the approach I would have better landings. I didn't go for it........

Thanks Timmy[:/]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

im amazed at how many think the sabre was the worst. i jumped a sabre 190 loaded at 1:1 and yes, i did have a few shocking openings but i loved the canopy generally.

i jumped a spectre loaded the same and thought "you can fuck right off", openings that take that long scare me a bit.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

im amazed at how many think the sabre was the worst. i jumped a sabre 190 loaded at 1:1 and yes, i did have a few shocking openings but i loved the canopy generally.

reply]

Ive had more bad openings on my old Sabre 190 than you have jumps total.
As for the Spectre I wish they would have developed it decades sooner. What a great canopy.

If you dont like snivels, its fortunate that you never experienced the Unit and its openings.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

So does it mean that yours is bigger? Or at least more blue?

Its just about opinions and not jump numbers. I think that he has lot more jumps on that canopy he was talking about than you do.

So does it mean that yours is bigger? Or at least more blue?

Its just about opinions and not jump numbers. I think that he has lot more jumps on that canopy he was talking about than you do.

That I doubt.
The original Sabres above 190' were modified because they opened so hard. He wasnt even around at the time....as werent you.

No...it aint blue.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

If you dont like snivels, its fortunate that you never experienced the Unit and its openings.

Got a rig with a Unit in it when doing video on two loads in a row,without knowing what was inside before deployment.
No hard openings on that one.:)

i jumped a spectre loaded the same and thought "you can fuck right off", openings that take that long scare me a bit.

I will take long snivels over the general openings of my Sabre any day. Most often the canopy would be almost fully inflated before I even had a chance to look up. I have heard that some Sabres opened alright, maybe you had that kind of Sabre, I don't know. My first canopy was a 190 Spectre to which I really enjoyed the openings. It was quite a change when I went to the Sabre.