caspar

what was the worst canopy youve ever jumped?

Very limited experience here, but I'd say a Fury 220. Maybe it was an old and ragged-out example, or my technique was lacking but it seemed that no matter how I flared it it would either bring me pounding in vertically or screaming in horizontally. The Balance 260 and PD210 I jumped before and after it seemed easy-peasy by comparison, and the Spectre 190 and Sabre 2 170 simply orgasmic.

I've only jumped 10 kinds of canopies (not including those I was a tandem passenger under), but I'd have to say my least favorite was the Safire2 149. I had it for 2 weekends to demo, but after 10 jumps on it the first weekend, I gave it to a friend and put my Hornet 170 back into my rig.

My paraglider reserve last Sunday... huge uncontrollable round, left me helpless floating down into a neighborhood, but yea, it saved my ass!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

We had a PISA 170, no matter how it was packed, it would leave you seeing stars on the openings. Had a master rigger completely look it over, he couldnt find anything. We sold it, letting the buyer know how it was, we never heard anything else about it. I was 5' tall before jumping it, Im now 5'2...lol joke....:S

Hummm....then they weren't TOTAL malfunctions then were they? Angelic

So? I had 2 high speed mal on those and Im not willing to jump those bitches anymore.

;) Thank you!

If it makes you happy ;).

I had jumps on RS4/A , round main from DDR, but it was not so bad.;)

25 years ago or so I had a Merlin. 90% of the time I loved that canopy. It opened fine, it flew fast and I could land it on a dime. BUT about 10% of the time it would have some weird thing happen with the lines on the left side (a tension knot I assume) and I'd have a spin. Fortunately it wasn't one of today's small canopies so it didn't spin like a mother f@#$er and if I fought with the lines I could get it to clear... most of the time. Of course it did it the one and only time my parents ever came out to see me jump.

But like I say most of the time I thought that canopy was the cat's ass and loved it. Packed it the same every time and after it I landed I could never find anything wrong even when I had to land with the right side in half brakes so I'd be going straight. Never did chop that thing :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The worst one I've ever jumped is also the best one: a 24 foot flat twill reserve. It was my first reserve ride. I had a total malfunction, so I still had the full weight of the main (a 28 foot C-9) in the container. Not steerable, and landed me like a ton of bricks, which made it the worst canopy. Saved my life for the first time with a reserve, so it also made it the best. Can't get any better than still alive.

5 cell strato-star>:(

borrowed it from a friend[:/], on my 999th jump.... I was allowed to double manifest , in order to make my 1,000th jump that same day...*

had a pretty SOLID landing..:|

fortunately ,,, it was in the peas...;)B|
NEVER jumped another 5 cell..... ever....

.. * ....p.s. # 1,000 was made on my reliable old french papillon...( at the time, I had maybe 50 jumps on a ram-air)

I have about the same experience as you and i'll go with the Fury too.

I jumped it a bunch of times and found out myself that the slider likes to fucking stay up...way up.

Then i hit another DZ on my travells and the guy says "oh, by the way, the slider tends to hang up on these, dont panic just pull your rears"

I laughed, could of done with that info a while back :S

It also steered like such shit on the toggles too, i didnt want to hand wrap as im not a fan of that so just used rears the whole way down and had fun doing it too. Flared with toggles

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.