caspar

what was the worst canopy youve ever jumped?

instead of doing the usual thread of what you think is the best . what do you think is the worst canopy youve ever jumped, be it terrible design or ragged out and vaguely controllable.

personaly, ive jumped all the usuals and the worst for me was a fury 220, simply because i found it boring beyond belief.

im sure some of the old timers and test jumpers have jumped some shockers!
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Loved them all. They got to me the ground just fine.

He's not saying you have to hate it, just asking which one was the worst.

I used to jump an old Jedei that looked like someone had dragged it through a barbed wire fence and then sewed it back together. (it had some where around 8 patches on it and one of the airlocks was sewn in a bit crooked so the nose had a little kink in it) I've got a lot of good memories under that canopy but it was definitely the sketchiest canopy I've ever jumped, and I put nearly 600 jumps on it.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

I've got a handful of jumps on Trubo-Zs & Trubo-ZXs. Dang things didn't "land" worth a darn. One jump / landing would be fine... and the next, under basically the same conditions... the thing would plant ya. Glad they're not in production anymore. I saw em drive more then one person out of the sport.

Apache 170. Hands down the worst canopy I ever jumped. I didn't know any better when I bought it. Couldn't flare worth a shit. Tore a lot of holes in the seat of my jumpsuit with it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Are we including rounds?

22 ft SAC reserve. but, it saved my life...Twice, I hit like a sack of potatoes thrown off a barn each time.

The ragged out T-10s we used for mains as a student were not much better, just bigger.

Squares? Compared to now they all sucked but the worst was a Kestrel with no crossports. After we took a coffee can and a hot knife to it....Not so bad.

The strato stars were not very good either. We used to say a good flare meant you didn't get dirt up your nose.

...As I recall.

I bought a (very used) Viking Superlite 7 cell - did a total of 10 jumps on it, featuring ONE stand-up landingB|, one spiralling malfunction resulting in a cutaway, and a torn centre cell on my last jump with it.

Test jumped a Pursuit 230 and fell in love with it immediately, for obvious reasons....:)

Every Sabre 2 i have ever jumped. The day i found the safire 2 was a brilliant day. I stopped fearing the canopy part of the jump.

I jumped Ilea's Safire2 the other day...and it opened about the same as my Sabre1-120 usually does. Go figure.

Worst? Probably the PD-210 I jumped while a student. Boring. Oh, that PD-235 probably was worse...I told those on the ground to take a nap while I descended. I may not even have flared when I landed.