Tomcat933

Why are rigs so damn expensive?

Tomcat, as stated in the above few replies, I would suggest NOT buying new gear. You should wait a few hundred/thousand jumps because in those next few hundred jumps, you will most likely be downsizing faster than you may think!! Stick with used gear until you have fine tuned the type of freefall you want to do(freeflying, crw, flatflying......) and the size canopy you will be comfortable flying for at least 3-600+ jumps... THEN, if you really want, buy new. Buying new at this point in your career in my opinion is just a very unwise decision, b/c it's such a short term investment.

There are some great deals on used gear. I usually buy new, and then keep it for years, but I get to depreciate it on my taxes, I get discounts, yada yada . . .

Next time you're in the door at 12,500, staring at the hard ground so far below, ask yourself "Is this gear worth what I paid for it?":D

You'd be surprised at the amount of labor that goes into making a container, including paperwork and component testing. Could it be done cheaper? Sure, but the companies making the gear would watch their profits shrink, and many would go out of business. Most people I see order rigs tack on bunches of options that drive the price up. I don't think they are too concerned about the cost when purchasing their new "best friend.";)

Another cost driver is the government. I don't believe that the recreational diver wears gear that has federal testing and regulation like skydiving.

Aside from DOT testing of the tanks, I've never heard of anything like a 'Dive Rigger' with an agency ticket.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

You're the one that bashed the gear companies. And in another post you whine about the USPA. And before that you thought this sport was safe. Try to get the big picture before you post. I predict your next thread will be..."Why is the dropzone charging so much for rental gear and hop n pops." or "Why should i have to pay for a cutaway on rental gear?"

You sound like a taker, not a giver. Entitlement generation theory i guess.

Congratulations on your A license:)

Cocheese, I don't think there is an asshole generation theory, but if there was you'd fit the profile. Am I not free to ask why something costs what it does before i consider purchasing it?

Am I not free to ask why something costs what it does before i consider purchasing it?

Of course you are, but there's a big difference between:

I understand that parachutes and an entire gear package are precision devices that have to save your life on a daily basis, but 5000 dollars? I can buy a really nice small fishing boat with a four stroke motor for that. I mean my scuba gear keeps me alive in a foreign environment; its probably more technologically advanced than skydiving equipment, but i don't think all of my dive gear added up(and i have everything) is more than 2500 or 3 grand. I feel like companies might be ripping us off because we have to pay it, and there's not a big enough market to create price erosion. Opinions?

and something like:

"Since I'm new to the sport, I'm trying to understand the factors that drive the prices of skydiving equipment. It seems to me like the prices might be higher than they should be, but maybe there's a legitimate reason for the high price that I don't understand."

Coupled with your whine about the cost of USPA fees (same thing - you can ask questions in a very different manner to get the same information), I can understand how cocheese formed his opinion of you.

No one's going to fault newer jumpers for asking questions. But think about the way you express your questions, first, if you want to take advantage of the collective wisdom in the skydiving community, whether it's online or in person. There's a lot to be learned by listening more than opining for a while.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have seen folks roll into the DZ to do a tandem with me driving a new, lifted, diesel, 4X4....six months later, those same people, have been showing up in a 12 year old sedan, working towards their "B" license and jumping good, used gear. Priorities, specialty market (as stated above, mostly ALL hand done), and a commitment to the sport, add to the determination to continue in this great journey.

An additonal cost that I suspect is buried in a harness/container and reserve canopy is the TESTING for TSO certification. It is an expensive proposition.

Another cost that I suspect is in the gear price is the cost of litigation. Deaths and injuries probably generate a significant number of claims. Even if cases get thrown out of court because of a waiver, there is significant legal cost cost to get that done.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I understand that parachutes and an entire gear package are precision devices that have to save your life on a daily basis, but 5000 dollars? I can buy a really nice small fishing boat with a four stroke motor for that. I mean my scuba gear keeps me alive in a foreign environment; its probably more technologically advanced than skydiving equipment, but i don't think all of my dive gear added up(and i have everything) is more than 2500 or 3 grand.

Scuba gear is far less 'technologically advanced,' though the marketing departments at the manufacturers sure want us to think a $200 pair of split fins is a good idea.

I was showing my friends my new canopy on Saturday and their main reaction was: 'that fabric looks too thin to do its job.' When you think about the stresses put on that chute and the job is has to accomplish, it's remarkable stuff. The only dive gear of much complexity is the regulator and it was mature 20 years ago. Switching to titanium cuts down weight, but little change on performance.

How good a boat (new) can you really buy for $5000?

>I can buy a really nice small fishing boat with a four stroke motor for that.

If you'd rather do that, then do that. I could buy a really nice bicycle for that much.

>I feel like companies might be ripping us off because we have to pay it . . .

You can pay $500 and get a rig if you like. My first rig was $300 back in 1992. Or, if you prefer to pay more, you can. Ain't freedom of choice great?

It's like anything else, if you want to save money, then you can
make it yourself. self made ;)

The hijacker demanded the passengers to place their valuables in a bag before he commanded the pilot to descend and depressurize the aircraft so that he could escape by a homemade parachute made of nylon with a curtain sash for a ripcord. Before he was about to jump, he panicked and clung to the rear door, and a male flight attendant pushed him out of the plane.

The hijacker was wearing a ski mask and swimming goggles when he jumped...

:ph34r:

I am new to the sport and I was also a poor college student (and still paying it off!) I won't lie, I gulped a bit when ordering my new container last week. I did the same thing at the beginning of every semester when signing promissory notes for student loans and I did the same thing when I bought my new car last year. I suppose a brand new rig is never a necessity. Yet having something that doesn't slide around on my body during free fall that I can fill with a used canopy for some time to come seems like a fantastic investment. One deep breath later and, just like with my education and my vehicle, I know I did the right thing and that it's money well spent.

I've been following your thread here for a little while today and all I can think to tell you is that a fishing boat doesn't sound nearly as exciting as potentially hundreds of leaps from a perfectly good plane. :) It's expensive, but you'll justify it because you love it, right?

i totally agree with squirrelgirl. if you had a choice between a fishing boat and a rig would you really get a boat? come on now, there is a reason you got into skydiving. obviously you have already put some money into the sport so why stop now? i am also a college student and i just bought my first rig for $3200 and couldnt be happier with it. just keep your eyes pealed and check the classified section frequently. but you dont need to be in any rush to buy a rig, obviously cause you dont have the money. but it just depends on how much you want it.

hey you could always get a loan, get the rig and build credit at the same time! thats what my friend did.

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Brings me to think??? when will a loan company open up to just cater to the needs and expenses of extream sport goers. I could use a couple grand cash righ now for new gear and gadgets.

They do... you can get an unsecured loan if your credit is decent.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I spent way more than 5k on my baby and it is worth every penny!

P.s. Freeflying made all of the gear more expensive and 4 way killed skydiving ;)

I love it when I hear those phrases said between RW jumpers and freefliers.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

>when will a loan company open up to just cater to the needs and
>expenses of extream sport goers.

They're out there! But they don't specialize in extreme sports; they give loans to anyone if you have decent credit.

When you think about it, specializing in loans to people who sometimes die and who more often injure themselves to the point where they can't work is not the best credit risk, you know? Fortunately most loan companies don't ask.

Yes, $5K is a big outlay to make in one go. But as others have said, skydiving gear lasts a long time if you look after it.

I have at least one friend I can think of who's put probably 1,500 jumps on the same container (I'm sure there are containers around with a lot more use than that, but let's go with this example).

Let's say that container cost $1,500 - a dollar a jump. I'm sure he's never changed his reserve canopy either, and he must have well over a thousand jumps on his main. Add it all up and you're looking at... let's see... a pretty small outlay for something that saves your life every time you use it.

davelepka's answer was excellent and on the money. Short answer to your original question is R&D, along with custom, hand built craftsmanship. Imagine the price of cars if they were built like parachute gear. There wouldn't be a person in the country earning less than 6 figures that could own one.

I bought my last set of new gear in 1996. With the proper maintenance that I regularly give it, I've put well over 2000 jumps on it, and it's ready for another 2000 at least. If a jumper really only needs to buy a rig (as opposed to wants), every decade or so, with the small market, even world wide, you don't need to make a lot of them. Which means, the price goes way up.

Besides, I'll gladly pay $5K to save my life 4,000 times, and throw in another $1200 to replace the cypress that I hope that I never use.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

An additonal cost that I suspect is buried in a harness/container and reserve canopy is the TESTING for TSO certification. It is an expensive proposition.

TSO costs are ongoing. Every piece of TSO’d equipment manufactured has a stack of paperwork following it around the shop. Everything used to make the rig, thread, fabric, grommets, webbing and such, is track as to source, lot and batch. You can take any rig back to the manufacture and trace where the thread was made and track it all the way to the finished container system. It is time and labor intensive.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals