Tomcat933

Why are rigs so damn expensive?

I understand that parachutes and an entire gear package are precision devices that have to save your life on a daily basis, but 5000 dollars? I can buy a really nice small fishing boat with a four stroke motor for that. I mean my scuba gear keeps me alive in a foreign environment; its probably more technologically advanced than skydiving equipment, but i don't think all of my dive gear added up(and i have everything) is more than 2500 or 3 grand. I feel like companies might be ripping us off because we have to pay it, and there's not a big enough market to create price erosion. Opinions?

A. There's no reason to buy new gear.
B. Used gear is definitely not expensive.

I think I just sold a full rig for $2200 (minus an AAD).

It cost me $2400 + $500 in mods.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

My first container was an Altico Dolphin back in 2000. Fresh off of student status, I paid around $550 if memory serves me well. At that time a Spectre 210 was around $1,200 and a PD reserve ran $600. Not sure how much I paid for the Cypres. (All prices for new items.)

So for under $3 k you were well equipped and ready to go.

There is competion, you can get a custom Dolphin container for $1225 all the way up to a custom Javelin Odyssey for more than an extra grand above that, and everything in between. The wait is half a year on the Odyssey and 1 week on the Dolphin, so it does not appear that jumpers are beating a path to the cheaper product.

Of course you need a few more items to complete your rig.

Since you're such a big fan of competition and are so price conscious let us know if you get the Dolphn and if not please post to this thread why not.

I know it's tough when you’re new to the sport. But, I just ordered my new "1/2 off" wings container, found a good used reserve, and am looking for a main. I've been looking for gear for a few years. In fact, my rigger (a very good one IMHO) told me he no longer wanted to pack my old reserve because it was now old enough to drink in all 50 states.

Using the 50% off Wings coupon I won, I should be able to put together a "virtually" new rig for around $2,500. More if I find a good deal on an AAD.

You don't have to buy the biggest, best, or prettiest!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

hey

Who said rigs were expensive? Only if you wanna jump the gear from this day and age then maybe. But if you buy an old military round or get a t10 you can come out cheap. The newer gear can get to be expensive, but like i said if you dont wanna jump the new technologically advanced gear im sure you could find an old piece o crap to jump for cheap.. Its like the old expression goes. you get what you pay for. To me the new gear is worth the expense cause back in the day you couldent get this gear even if you had millions...Because it wasent invented YET!!!

Yes, you get what you pay for!!

However, if you're thrifty and keep your eyes open, you can find good quality, up to date, high performance gear at a reduced price. Sure, you can buy color matching new gear with shiny stainless and all the bells -n- whistles at full retail every day. You can even pay more than full retail if you like. Not all of us are willing (or able) to spend that kind of change.

So some, like myself, choose to look around for deals. Not just cheap out of date crap, but good quality gear at reduced prices. It's out there if you look. If you can't afford new gear, don't count yourself out of the sport. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."