Just4me

Tipping...

I have been jumping a while now, and taught AFF every weekend for many years. Can't remember once getting a tip, and can't remember a single time I didn't put at least 110% effort into my work as an instructor, with much enthusiasm due to my passion for the sport. It was an honor for me teach both S/L and AFF. Of course, I'd still want to teach AFF even if I won the lottery. I now feel the same way about organizing as well. I just love doing these things, and the inherent rewards I gain from knowing I've helped someone in the sport, or just from sharing in their first jumps, are worth much more to me than any tip. Not saying tips are "bad" or anything, just my own random thoughts..

I seem to vaguely remember the TM's getting tips on occasion years ago..but I think it was kinda rare.

To the original poster: hope the weather cooperates and your son gets to make his jump soon!

What do you mean I am expected to tip too?
I am taking my son for his first tandem jump next week. I was looking through a FQA and they talked about tipping?? It is pretty expensive to do this.
What is the expected tip?
Isn't the instructor's job to take my son on a jump?
I am just curious to why tipping is part of the sport?

Would you be willing to share the site where you found the FAQ? I'm curious how it was worded. If you aren't comfortable posting it publiclly, I will keep a PM private.

I googled "Tandem skydive FAQ tipping and got THIS
The Norcal site was the only one (of the first few) that said it was expected. The rest I looked at said not expected, but appreciated.

Something to remember: there are segments of society that expect to tip for everything. Like tipping the doorman for opening the door:S

Every once in a while I get asked (both by the tandem student and the family/friends) if it is "okay" to tip. I usually say that it isn't necessary, but appreciated, and to think of the rest of the people who made the jump safe and successful, like the pilot and the guy who packed the rig:P.

IMO, the best tip was from the micro-brewery, who did "private label" work. They delivered six-packs labelled with the name of the TI, vidiot, pilot and packer (1 6er each).

Also very nice are the handwritten thank-you notes, often with pictures from the day they jumped. We get more of those than money tips. They all go up on a board. Prospective jumpers are usually reassured when they see all the happy outcomes.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

In the US we tip. In the EU you have VAT. Take your pick.

there is no relation. Go back to your studies.

No relation my ass! Both are a high fee paid by the consumer for some perceived value added to a purchased good. Weather the money goes to the state or the waiter, people in both countries are paying something in the area of 25% on top of their bill. Am I missing something?
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

In the US we tip. In the EU you have VAT. Take your pick.

there is no relation. Go back to your studies.

No relation my ass! Both are a high fee paid by the consumer for some perceived value added to a purchased good. Weather the money goes to the state or the waiter, people in both countries are paying something in the area of 25% on top of their bill. Am I missing something?

I'm guessing the point was that VAT is a tax - something which also exists in the US, right? VAT is 15% - pretty much in line with what you pay in most states, no? Tipping is an optional extra that is over and above the manditory tax. 15% (VAT) is less than 13% (tax) + 20% (tip).

And for OP.. I think beer is normally seen as a reasonable form of "tipping" - plus you can join in and enjoy as well :) No need of course, but usually very appreciated.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

To the original poster: hope the weather cooperates and your son gets to make his jump soon!

It did cooperate today. It was wonderful. The instructor and video guy were both great.
My son is an instant fan of skydiving!

did either of them earn a tip?
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Awwwww....Never any love for us pilots. :P

....We are glorified elevator operators! :D

well can't speak for everyone else but when i used to jump up in bardstown ky. i used to try to make it a point to meet bob. as soon as he had the plane tied down with a cold 'honey brown ale"
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I hope your son got a good Tandem Instructor, you had said before "Manager was a little blah. Hoping the instructor my son gets will have a little bit more enthusiam." I think that is a very important part of the experience. Did the TI and video guy take the time to get to know you more than what is your name? and here is what we are going to do. I hope you truly wanted to give them a little something extra because they went the extra mile and not because a bunch of people here think you should. I hope your you and your skydive again soon.
Blue Skies
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death. www.reaperwear.com

I hope your son got a good Tandem Instructor, you had said before "Manager was a little blah. Hoping the instructor my son gets will have a little bit more enthusiam." I think that is a very important part of the experience. Did the TI and video guy take the time to get to know you more than what is your name? and here is what we are going to do. I hope you truly wanted to give them a little something extra because they went the extra mile and not because a bunch of people here think you should. I hope your you and your skydive again soon.
Blue Skies

The TI was great with my son, he invited us all in as he was harnessing up my son and let us be a part of it. He said a few times afterwards that he and my son made a great team. He answered all of our questions with enthusiam, even made me want to try it someday. Even the video guy made us feel like we were all part of it. It was a sweet couple of hours :)

The TI was great with my son, he invited us all in as he was harnessing up my son and let us be a part of it. He said a few times afterwards that he and my son made a great team. He answered all of our questions with enthusiam, even made me want to try it someday. Even the video guy made us feel like we were all part of it. It was a sweet couple of hours

This is why you tip your instructors (and video guys).

If you read the manual on how to be a tandem instructor there's a chapter on properly fitting a harness, supervising a student in and around the airplane, a few chapters about freefall and canopy procedures, and one about landing.

Involving the students family and friends in the ground prep is not in the book. Answering a slew of quesitons from them is also not part of the plan. Bolstering the students confidence, and ensuring that they get the most out of their jump, oddly not in the book.

When the instructors go 'above and beyond' and really make you feel good about your experience (and you didn't even jump) that's worth a few extra bucks.

One other point, just so you know, a new tandem rig goes for $15k. A small skydiving plane runs about $50k, and goes all the way up to $1.5 million. You can't skydive in the rain, or when it gets too windy, and most folks only jump on the weekends. It's alot of money tied up in something you can't always do.

I know $200 seems like a alot for a jump, but a fair percentage of that is the actual cost of doing business. The profit margin is reasonable, and the instructors pay is on the low side given what they are doing. I'm sure they guys appriciated the hell out of the tip.

The TI was great with my son, he invited us all in as he was harnessing up my son and let us be a part of it. He said a few times afterwards that he and my son made a great team. He answered all of our questions with enthusiam, even made me want to try it someday. Even the video guy made us feel like we were all part of it. It was a sweet couple of hours :)

I'd say that was earning the tip. They both added the "extra touch that means so much". Making you feel a part of it, getting you thinking about trying it (although that's also a good way to increase business). Not every DZ or TI does that.

FWIW, I got the "is it okay to tip?" question last Sat.
Guy and his wife, anniversary, total surprise for her (his brother also went, she was told they were only going out to watch, didn't know either of them were scheduled).
My response was the standard "You can if you want, don't have to, think about the pilot and packer too" thing - when he asked where/how to do it, I said leave it on the counter by manifest (very small DZ, no one around to steal it)
When I looked later, there was $10. TI said to split it between packer and pilot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'd say that was earning the tip. They both added the "extra touch that means so much". Making you feel a part of it, getting you thinking about trying it (although that's also a good way to increase business). Not every DZ or TI does that.

I disagree and counter with that's earning a raise if he does it consistently as part of his job performance

the DZ should make that type of experience the expectation of employment. They should pay directly more to those Instructors that exemplify that experience.

employers should pay correctly for performance, not pass it on to customers

since when does doing the best you can be considered 'extra' in a job?

It's entertainment - when is the last time someone went up on stage at a concert and gave the band more money because they put on a good show instead of just standing still on stage and just singing their songs

anyway - it's optional, do it if you want. the second it becomes any source of pressure to tip, one should just not do it at all

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Slightly off topic, but true story.

On a trip home from Florida a couple years back, got off a shuttle at the airport, guy pulls my bags out and sets them down. I'm out of sorts, just going thru the motions (it was the return trip from my Mom's funeral), and forgot to give him a tip. (I usually do tip $1 per bag for the shuttle driver).

So he's lurking, I'm staring off into space oblivious to his presence much less his "need" and he blurts out something about me being cheap. I say "Huh?!" and he makes a derogatory comment, nothing profane but not nice. I lost it. I told him to fuck off or something like that.

He in turn threatens to call security, tells me there's laws now about my kind of behavior in airports or something to that effect. So then I'm in his face, telling him to shove his bus up his ass and whatnot, people are starting to gawk, he's getting on his walkie.

I eventually just walked away, and nothing ever came of it. He made some assumption about me based on his need, I was in a crap mood, and it just spun out from there.

I think it is best to always assume good intentions unless proven otherwise.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It's entertainment - when is the last time someone went up on stage at a concert and gave the band more money because they put on a good show instead of just standing still on stage and just singing their songs

I've seen plenty of lounge entertainers with tip jars. ;)

I get a tip or two per weekend. I accept them graciously. I always try to do the best I can, and give everyone a good experience. If I were a waiter in an American restaurant, I would always expect a tip. As a tandem master, I don't.

Only tip I felt I didn't deserve was from a young soldier with his buddies getting ready to redeploy to Iraq the next week. If I had thought faster, I would have said "thanks" and then handed it back, saying "the first pitcher tonight is on me." We all owe those guys.:)

something which also exists in the US, right? VAT is 15% - pretty much in line with what you pay in most states, no? Tipping is an optional extra that is over and above the manditory tax.

Canada has a nationwide sales tax, or VAT. The U.S. does not. Most, but not all states, have a sales tax, some of which goes to the cities and towns, too. In Washington state, our sales tax is about 9%. It varies from town to town, each want setting their own rate for their slice of the pie. In Oregon state there is no sales tax. They have a state income tax instead. Most states exempt groceries and pharmaceuticals from sales tax.

I know we've talked about France, where prix fixee is common, and tipping is part of the price. I like that system.

the DZ should make that type of experience the expectation of employment. They should pay directly more to those Instructors that exemplify that experience.

employers should pay correctly for performance, not pass it on to customers

Again the false assumption is that there are employers and employees. DZO's are not employers of instructors. Instructors are independent contractors. DZO's are business owners.
http://www.exitshot.com