mtbriles

RSL

How much altitude do you burn when you cutaway with an RSL? Like from the altitude you chop to the altitude your reserve is fully inflated?

I had my first cutaway on my 25th jump. I didnt rely on the RSL. I still pulled my reserve handle.

I owed so much beer that day :SB|

:D:D:D
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

How much altitude do you burn when you cutaway with an RSL?

This much...

Dave

ohhhhhhhhh...

holly shit thats more than expcected:o

thanks for the awesome pic:)
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

Okay, a reality check.

I'd expect someone to say that looks like a short distance, not a long one.:S It actually may NEVER open. Remember, reserves malfunction also. Not often but they do. If you need it you should use it, without hesitation. But it is using your last chance to live. Okay, enough downer for now.

The NEW testing standard requires the reserve to be functionally open after a cutaway in essentially 3 seconds or 300 feet. The numbers increase as the maximum operating weight goes above 250 and the maximum pack opening speed of 150 knts. Equipment is still manufacturered under 3 old standards. I don't remember the details of the old ones (happened to have the new one on my desk) but you should exect these numbers to apply to most of the modern gear on the market.

So, it's allowed to take 300' OR 3 seconds. If you cutaway a high speed malfunction (bag lock) it is supposed to open within 3 seconds but may not be within 300'. By the way only 8 cutaway opening tests are required during the certification of a new parachute system. (When the new standard is adopted) More may be done but only 8 are required.

Congratulations on passing a milestone and mental hurdle in dealing with your first malfunction that some people don't get to for over a 1000 or 2000 jumps.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

dont know why you should be given shit for not pulling your handle the rsl will always beat you to your reserve most times you will feel the reserve deployment before you have a chance to go for your reserve (if you are staging you emergency proceedures correctly) so you dont bother not biggie. of course there are always jerkoffs at the dz that see this as a case of "wow the rsl saved your life what a looser" and their is a slight chance that this is the case, what is more likely is what i described.

Does it bother anyone else when people talk about trying "to beat" the RSL? In my limited experience, it seems like a bad idea. In the event of hard cutaway, I would hate to fire a perfectly good reserve into a malfunctioning main. That's not to say you shouldn't pull the silver handle, but maybe a brief pause is in order.

Does it bother anyone else when people talk about trying "to beat" the RSL? In my limited experience, it seems like a bad idea. In the event of hard cutaway, I would hate to fire a perfectly good reserve into a malfunctioning main. That's not to say you shouldn't pull the silver handle, but maybe a brief pause is in order.

You have got to be kidding me. Do you understand how and RSL works? I suggest you spend some time learning you gear and how best to use it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can share my experience. I had a cutaway on jump 30, with a decent toggle induced turn that knotted up. I knew my altitude and upon trying 2 times to fix the mal decided it was time to cutaway, I had the clear head to pull the cutaway and wait very briefly(1-2 sec) to pull silver(BTW I would not have waited if I wasn't where I was in altitude, I was still new and opening at about 4 so I knew I had time), just to be sure I was clear of the main, anyways, before I even had a chance to pull silver, the reserve was up above my head, and opening leaving my silver just hanging there. I am not ashamed of it, I am very thankful for it. Would I rely on the RSL? Hell no, but I wouldn't ridicule someone who it worked for....that is why we have them.

-Evo

Edit to add sentence
Zoo Crew

I can share my experience. I had a cutaway on jump 30, with a decent toggle induced turn that knotted up. I knew my altitude and upon trying 2 times to fix the mal decided it was time to cutaway, I had the clear head to pull the cutaway and wait very briefly(1-2 sec) to pull silver(BTW I would not have waited if I wasn't where I was in altitude, I was still new and opening at about 4 so I knew I had time), just to be sure I was clear of the main, anyways, before I even had a chance to pull silver, the reserve was up above my head, and opening leaving my silver just hanging there. I am not ashamed of it, I am very thankful for it. Would I rely on the RSL? Hell no, but I wouldn't ridicule someone who it worked for....that is why we have them.

-Evo

Edit to add sentence

The ridicule is not for having the RSL begin the deployment. As you say, that is what the RSL is for.

The ridicule is for not completing your emergency procedures.

Some ask "why complete them when I already have a reserve over my head?"

The answer is that you want your emergency procedures to be automatic. If you have considered that the reserve is already over your head, you've thought about it too much.

You may be jumping a rig someday where you don't have an RSL or maybe the RSL is disconnected or worse, rigged wrong. (Yes, I have seen a rig where the rigger, not me, failed to put the reserve ripcord through the ring on the end of the RSL. Mistakes can and do happen.) Having the EP completed, and completed quickly, might mean the difference between getting a reserve out in time or not. Taking the time to notice that the RSL did not start the deployment might mean using all the time you had and more.

Which is better? Landing with the reserve handle in your hand even though you know the RSL did its job, or failing to get a reserve because you were deciding whether or not to pull the handle?

Maybe another, more dramatic, example would help to clarify. There is the story of a woman in SoCal who turned on her AAD when she was at home. The elevation at home was something like 1500 feet below the elevation of the airport and its landing area. She had a mal, and went in while she was waiting for the AAD to fire.

No doubt, this example is far more extreme, but it illustrates the point that you really must not rely on the secondary systems like the RSL or AAD. If you really aren't relying on the RSL, you will be pulling the silver handle at about the time you are feeling the reserve starting to open.

>Would I rely on the RSL? Hell no, but I wouldn't ridicule someone who
>it worked for....that is why we have them.

If someone had a total mal and did absolutely nothing, and their AAD fired and opened their reserve, would you tell them 'good job' since it worked for them?

I did an intentional cutaway with a skyhook equipped rig (3 chutes) and still pulled the reserve ripcord. I ended up having a slight hesitation with the skyhook and managed to get the reserve cord started before fully under a reserve. With a skyhook just getting the reserve started is quite a feat. I kinda felt like a moron pulling the reserve the rest of the way out, but pull it out the rest of the way, I did.

That's my only cutaway so far, and I want to have all the experience and reactions possible to pull both handles.

Good point about following through the procedures no matter what. A borrowed rig with no rsl, gear malfuntion, etc, and the difference in pulling and waiting can be fatal.

That's completely my approach to the situation. Ask your local instructor, in fact, ask several. Get as much info as you can and form the best educated decision that you can. That applies to most situations, and it's really the best you can do.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Haven't people died "waiting" to pull their reserve? The sooner, the better, especially if you are at/near/below your hard deck.

Cetainly. But there are lots of variables. At some certain altitude (this should be part of your EP preparedness) you would deploy reserve before chopping, accepting the risk of 2 out and having to deal with that.

Just identifying a scenario and giving food for thought; consult your instructors for actual advice.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I most likely beat my RSL on my last cutaway just under a month ago - video of it at http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Video&init=quick#/video/video.php?v=227865330315

For the OP - according to my AltiTrack I lost around 250' from chop to fully open reserve.

And - not to hijack the thread - what I was practicing and executed *might* have been too fast, but I would think that it's more important to have the presence of mind to make sure that your cutaway cables are clear before pulling reserve rather than just pausing between pulls, something I was aware of when I pulled the cutaway. And if your focus happens to be on making sure your cables are clear before you pull silver, your RSL is gonna pull silver for you anyway as soon as the riser it's attached to is gone.
"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

And - not to hijack the thread - what I was practicing and executed *might* have been too fast, but I would think that it's more important to have the presence of mind to make sure that your cutaway cables are clear before pulling reserve rather than just pausing between pulls

Absolutely.

Hi Sletzer,

With a skyhook just getting the reserve started is quite a feat.

The SkyHook cannot perform its function ( get started ) UNTIL the ripcord pin has been pulled. Getting the ripcord pin pulled ( getting the reserve started ) is a function of the RSL and not the SkyHook.

For the record: IMO, I do not consider a MARD to be a RSL in and of itself. It is an additional feature of a RSL.

I hope, that if you are jumping a rig with a SkyHook, that you completely understand how it works.

As parachute systems become more & more complex it is very important that the users ( and yes, the riggers ) understand the function of these systems and the order in which they function ( perform their tasks ); again, IMO.

JerryBaumchen

If someone had a total mal and did absolutely nothing, and their AAD fired and opened their reserve, would you tell them 'good job' since it worked for them?

Well of course not, but with the RSL there are way more variations of elements that can be factored in.

My RSL beat me to the punch, so what, doesn't mean next time I cutaway I am going to wait on the RSL because it worked so grandly this time(even though I wasn't waiting on it, just so happened it deployed VERY fast), especially if the situation is different and I am at a much lower altitude. I actually talked to someone this last weekend who had a cut away and said she experienced the same exact thing I did, in that the RSL deployed her reserve before she pulled silver, doesn't mean she was waiting on it, just means it beat her, which is a good thing, and doesn't require ridicule, it just means the RSL did its job.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Well of course not, but with the RSL there are way more variations of elements that can be factored in.

My RSL beat me to the punch, so what, doesn't mean next time I cutaway I am going to wait on the RSL because it worked so grandly this time(even though I wasn't waiting on it, just so happened it deployed VERY fast), especially if the situation is different and I am at a much lower altitude. I actually talked to someone this last weekend who had a cut away and said she experienced the same exact thing I did, in that the RSL deployed her reserve before she pulled silver, doesn't mean she was waiting on it, just means it beat her, which is a good thing, and doesn't require ridicule, it just means the RSL did its job.

-Evo

First off, "you" as used in the following is in the editorial sense. I don't mean to single out Will_Evo at all.

From this post, I fear the point has not gotten across.

People who have RSLs should EXPECTED that the RSL will beat them. Especially if you use a two-handed pull, where both hands must move from the cutaway handle to the reserve ripcord handle.

Still, you should complete your emergency procedures even though you expect the RSL to beat you.

When you get down and you have not completed your emergency procedures, somebody should say something about it, because you should be completing your emergency procedures.

Maybe ridicule is not the best teaching aid, but it is all some people have got to offer.

But the ridicule wouldn't (shouldn't?) be about that the RSL beat you. That is EXPECTED.

The ridicule would be about not completing your emergency procedures.

Maybe some people who employ ridicule are focusing on the wrong target with their ridicule. Again, not everybody is the best teacher, or has the right advice to offer.

But the fact remains that if you do not complete your emergency procedure, you have something to do better next time.

Some people will see that the procedures are not complete, and employ ridicule as the teaching method. No, not the best possible approach. But if that's the best they can do, its the best they can do. They care about you, and that's got to count for something.

So we should all try to look at the message, not the delivery.

People who have RSLs should EXPECTED that the RSL will beat them. Especially if you use a two-handed pull, where both hands must move from the cutaway handle to the reserve ripcord handle.

Still, you should complete your emergency procedures even though you expect the RSL to beat you.

I don't fully understand your reasoning behind finishing your EP's with a reserve above my head. If my RSL beats me to the punch, and there is a reserve above my head, at this point I am more worried about the three s's, where I am, how high I am etc, not pulling a hanging silver handle that literally is connected to nothing.

Anyways, seems like yet another thing people are stressing to much about, an RSL did its job, great, you didn't pull silver, who cares, your alive, the piece of safety equipment you are using worked properly. Good, now get your ass to the ground without getting hurt. Seems like backwards reasoning with a reserve above your head to grab silver with both hands and pull hard, THEN check your already open canopy.[:/]

-Evo
Zoo Crew

I don't fully understand your reasoning behind finishing your EP's with a reserve above my head. If my RSL beats me to the punch, and there is a reserve above my head, at this point I am more worried about the three s's, where I am, how high I am etc, not pulling a hanging silver handle that literally is connected to nothing.

Anyways, seems like yet another thing people are stressing to much about, an RSL did its job, great, you didn't pull silver, who cares, your alive, the piece of safety equipment you are using worked properly. Good, now get your ass to the ground without getting hurt. Seems like backwards reasoning with a reserve above your head to grab silver with both hands and pull hard, THEN check your already open canopy.[:/]

-Evo

One does not go from cutaway to RSL deployment of reserve to a fully deployed reserve instantly. It takes a few seconds and in those seconds it's not a bad idea to be proactive and pull the reserve handle. If you go from cutaway to reserve over your head without doing anything you're either wasting time or failing to take action that might make a difference.
Owned by Remi #?

Anyways, seems like yet another thing people are stressing to much about, an RSL did its job, great, you didn't pull silver, who cares, your alive, the piece of safety equipment you are using worked properly.

I think the point people are trying to get across is complete your EP’s so that it will become automatic. You know the old muscle memory thing. You state the equipment worked right you are alive and “who cares”. This attitude can and does lead to complacency about procedures and a dependency on back up equipment. I am not saying this it going happen to you but it could. For 30 years I have watched jumpers who have the whole range of skill and experience slowing get complacent and end up paying the ultimate price. When you are in the air never take anything for granted. Go through you EP’s as if there were not RSL or AAD. Just you and high speed dirt.
And you may not believe but there a lot of people who care.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Seems like backwards reasoning with a reserve above your head to grab silver with both hands and pull hard, THEN check your already open canopy.[:/]
-Evo

If you still have your d handle in its pocket when you are performing a canopy check of your reserve, I think you have lost valuable time in your EP's :S.

With some malfunctions (for ex hard pull, pilot chute in tow, ...) your main will stay in it's container after you have pulled the cutaway handle. No main leaving the container ==> no pull from the rsl.

In 1999 we had a deadly accident. No pull, no AAD, only pulled the cutaway handle. Do you know what a rsl will do in this case? Nothing.

To garantee an activation of your reserve, pull that d handle. If the rsl did its job, just before you could do it yourself, fine. If the rsl didn't do its job for whatever reason, you have not lost valuable time when you also have pulled the d handle yourself.

When the shit hits the fan, maybe you have time to think and maybe you are able to think. History has proven that often this is not the case.