Eagleeye

81 way world record??

I was recently sent a video of the 81-way canopy formation world record. The title of the email was (Army version of a kite). I believe this title to be wrongly named. Was this event put on by the Army or did they have any affiliation with this event? I was also wondering how many countries were represented in the 81-way and also the new 100-way?
Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I was sent some information from Brian Pangburn, which I will paste below. This maybe already posted, I thought I would post it anyway......................

100-Way Canopy Formation World Record Skydive

A new world record has been set at the Florida Skydiving Center at Lake Wales, Florida USA on November 21st, 2007. One hundred parachutists linked up under parachute to form the largest parachute diamond formation ever created. The parachutists came from 14 countries to participate on the record skydive.

The skydivers utilized five aircraft, the first dropping nine jumpers from an altitude of 20,000 feet. The second dropped the next 27 jumpers from an altitude of 18,000 feet. The third aircraft dropped jumpers from 16,000 feet and the final two aircraft dropped the
remaining jumpers from 13,000 feet. The formation took approximately 11 minutes and 30 seconds to build and was held for 12 seconds. It was completed on the fifth attempt and captured on HD video by seven videographers/photographers.

The formation was 290 feet (88 meters) tall and 175 feet (53 meters) wide. (The size of a football field) The formation weighed 20,388 pounds (9,230 kilos). In comparison 6 Ford Mustangs weigh only 19,500 pounds. A 747-400 jet is only 231 feet long. The Wright
brothers first flight was almost one third the distance as the formation is tall. Miami Air Traffic Control Center could monitor the formation on radar to keep other aircraft from coming into close proximity to the formation.

People Country
56 United States
7 Australia
7 Germany
6 Netherlands
6 Great Britain
5 Russia
3 Canada
2 Brazil
2 Egypt
2 France
1 Argentina