HiGhGuY

Noob question

Hey just wondering... whats the highest jump you can do on average at most DZ's? and how long do you freefall for from that alt?

Also, what is the absolute highest you can jump without supplemental oxygen? i've heard all different kinds of numbers ususally topping out at 13-15k above SEA level... so it would be +/- above ground level depending on what alt. the DZ was at.

I know people who paraglide, and claims have been made that people paragliding can occasionally thermal up to 20k above sea level. Obviously paragliding, your gonna decent slower than free falling, so if paragliders can reach 20k, then i don't see how skydiving tops out at 15k

Assuming you're in the US...

Most drop zones go to an altitude somewhere between 10,500 and 14,500 AGL (above ground level), depending on the elevation of the DZ and the type of aircraft they fly.

For skydivers, supplemental oxygen should be used above 15,000 MSL (mean sea level), although it's only a recomendation. Pilots, on the other hand, are required to use supplemental oxygen at a lower altitude and is addressed in FAR 91.211.

Obviously paragliding, your gonna decent slower than free falling, so if paragliders can reach 20k, then i don't see how skydiving tops out at 15k

Economics. Altitude costs money; the more you get, the more it costs. For most jumpers the extra altitude isn't worth the extra cost on a regular basis.

Big way RW groups routinely jump from 16-18k. They're on oxygen from about 10k until just prior to exit.

Some dz's offer higher altitude jumps - Skydance in Davis, CA does 30k jumps (using bailout bottles) once or twice a year. They're supposed to be going to 34k this weekend; a guy is going to attempt to set a wingsuit record.

If you read to the bottom of that section you will note that skydivers, while aboard the aircraft, DO have to be provided oxygen above 15k in the USA:

FAR Sec. 91.211 Supplemental oxygen

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry--

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Assuming you're in the US...

Most drop zones go to an altitude somewhere between 10,500 and 14,500 AGL (above ground level), depending on the elevation of the DZ and the type of aircraft they fly.

For skydivers, supplemental oxygen should be used above 15,000 MSL (mean sea level), although it's only a recomendation. Pilots, on the other hand, are required to use supplemental oxygen at a lower altitude and is addressed in FAR 91.211.

Seriously, above 15K everyone should be on O2. That reg was written for passive pax in the back of a plane versus jumpers.

They're supposed to be going to 34k this weekend; a guy is going to attempt to set a wingsuit record.

WOW! Where is he going to land! The next state over!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I was on a load recently that went to 17K as a result of the "extra altitude" that we were rewarded thanks to the sky chicas showing their appreciation to the pilot. At around 16K the air was pretty thin and it was a struggle to breathe, by the time the door opened I was ready to get out!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Also airspace in the continental u.s. is divided into many classes of airspace, typical dropzones either operate in class G which is uncontrolled airspace air traffic control can not see a lot of this airspace so they can not control air traffic here. However most places class G ends at 1200' above ground and becomes class E which is controlled airspace but has very liberal flight rules and is where most all jumping occurs, at 17,999' above sea level everywhere airspace turns into class A which is controlled, highly regulated, and must be on an instrument flight plan in order to fly in it, however special permission through the local FISDO can approve flights in it but require a lot of paper pushing and probably knowing someone in the FAA.

at 17,999' above sea level everywhere airspace turns into class A which is controlled, highly regulated, and must be on an instrument flight plan in order to fly in it, however special permission through the local FISDO can approve flights in it but require a lot of paper pushing and probably knowing someone in the FAA.

At 18,000 it becomes Class A airspace. You don't need special permission from FSDO to get into it, just a clearance from the air traffic controller working the airspace.

Obviously paragliding, your gonna decent slower than free falling, so if paragliders can reach 20k, then i don't see how skydiving tops out at 15k

Economics. Altitude costs money; the more you get, the more it costs. For most jumpers the extra altitude isn't worth the extra cost on a regular basis.

Big way RW groups routinely jump from 16-18k. They're on oxygen from about 10k until just prior to exit.

Some dz's offer higher altitude jumps - Skydance in Davis, CA does 30k jumps (using bailout bottles) once or twice a year. They're supposed to be going to 34k this weekend; a guy is going to attempt to set a wingsuit record.

I don't care about the money part of it. I'm just saying... if after 15k its supposedly harder to breathe, with skydiving your gonna be at that alt for a much shorter period of time as compared to paragliding up to 15 or 20k, then slowly gliding down.

btw...i think it would be cool to put on a skydiving rig, attach the paraglider find a strong thermal get up to about 15k and cut yourself loose

Hypoxia is a risk any time you fly above 5,000 feet above sea level. Granted only night vision suffers at 5,000 feet, but hypoxia affects different people different ways. Fitness, fatigue, nutrition, even hydration can all affect how high you can climb before hypoxia starts degrading your performance.
Hypoxia is a subtle killer. Most people will not admit to hypoxia - even when they are reeling like a drunken sailor.
I have jumped from 19,000 feet - without supplemental oxygen - and admit that it was a dumb move even if was running half-marathons.
I have felt hypoxic as low as 9,000 feet, when I had a chest cold.

...At around 16K the air was pretty thin and it was a struggle to breathe, by the time the door opened I was ready to get out!

I suspect that this was more psychological than physiological. At higher altitudes, one can not feel any difference in the ease of breathing. (At least not 16 - 25k) Certainly, hypoxia can occur at altitudes depending on the individual's fitness, but I'm not aware of ever having "difficulty" breathing. Usually, the breathing feels fine, you just start feeling and acting goofy, then you pass out.

Wouldnt your respiratory rate increase due to the lower partial pressure of oxygen in the air, to compensate for the difference?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Wouldnt your respiratory rate increase due to the lower partial pressure of oxygen in the air, to compensate for the difference?

Yes, most definitely. Your body tries to compensate with an increased rate and depth of breathing. Sometimes it's subtle and hard to pick out though.