Fropa

Wisconsin First Time

Hello

I’m the classic “I’ve been wanting to skydive since I was in high school and now that I’m old (just turned 47) I decided I finally have to do it”. I’m talking to friends to see who else would be interested in taking their first tandem jump. I have 3 yeses and 2 maybes so far. I’m sure that will change when a date is set.

I’ve been reading posts on this site and checking the web sites of the 4 closest DZs to me (all about a 2 hour drive). The DZs I’m looking at are Seven Hills Skydiving Club in Madison, AtmosphAIR Skydiving Center in Ft. Atkinson, Skydive Wissota in Chippewa Falls, and Skydive Adventure in Omro.

I have read the reviews here which are all mostly 5 stars with the occasional lower rating for a bad experience or something they thought would make it better. I was wondering if any Wisconsin jumpers that have been to one or more of these DZs have an opinion on which would be best for a group of first timers. I want us all to have a safe, fun first experience. Any specific questions I should ask when I call to talk to them?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

The DZs I’m looking at are Seven Hills Skydiving Club in Madison, AtmosphAIR Skydiving Center in Ft. Atkinson, Skydive Wissota in Chippewa Falls, and Skydive Adventure in Omro.

All good places!! There are a couple more to check out just a bit farther away...
Skydive Twin Cities is excellent in Baldwin, WI
Sky Knights in East Troy is also great.

Hell, travel around and make a bunch of jumps. If you do a couple of jumps at each place, you could have your A license by the time you get home... but you won't want to return home!!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You might find that once a date is set the roster will change. I had 4 friends totally committed to the activity, but hemmed and hawed endlessly whenever I tried to set a date. Finally I just picked a date, and once it got real all 4 found reasons not to go, and a crew of 4 completely different people ended up joining me - including my wife, who I would never have thought to even consider it.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

If I limit myself to your list of dropzones I would suggest SevenHills or Wissota. Both are good dropzones operating Cessna 182s. If you end up with a group bigger than you expect, or the date you want to go they can't accommodate you, check us out at Sky Knights. We operate a larger plane and are just a bigger operation and can handle a bit more business.

Hope you get your group together and make it out to one of our places this year!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks for all the responses everybody.

I think a guy I work with jumped at Omro, but I’m not sure how long ago. I’m going to talk to him tomorrow. I also found out today when I was trying to recruit more people that at one of my part time jobs my boss’s husband’s brother’s wife’s business partner is the owner of the Wissota DZ. I guess they have asked her to jump a bunch of times but she won’t go. She gave me her email address today.

Skyjumpenfool I’d love to travel to a bunch of the DZs and jump. I’m hoping at least 1 other person will really like skydiving and want to jump more than once. If I decide to work towards my A license is it better to stick with one place so they know where your at and what you need to do or can you go to a bunch of different places and just say “I’m on my ## jump and need to be taught the skills for that jump”? If I’m reading things correctly on certain jumps you have a coach/instructor teach you a new skill and some you jump solo to practice the new skill. Do you normally have 1 coach through you’re A license or do you get different coaches depending on who’s there?

Pirana, I’m figuring some of the yeses will turn into no’s and hopefully some of the maybes will turn into yeses once a date is set.

Fast, how many would be too many for the places I listed? It would be about a 3 hour drive to get to your area. I’m hoping we can get it all set up for this year.

If you go for your license, stick with one DZ. They will learn your strengths and weaknessess and give you much better training. If you hop around to different DZs then they have to spend a couple jumps figuring out what you know, and how you learn. Some will make you take the FJC again so that you are following their training progression. Very wasteful.

Of the ones mentioned so far, I've only been to East Troy, but they were great.

Omro isn't bad for tandem, but I have heard that being a student can be frustrating, that they will bump fun jumpers and students for walk on tandems. Again, I haven't been there, but I know people that have said this.

I'm somewhat north of you, I jump in Shiocton mostly, and Pulaski sometimes.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Fast, how many would be too many for the places I listed? It would be about a 3 hour drive to get to your area. I’m hoping we can get it all set up for this year.

I don't know honestly. What I do know is that we have had people call up to book with us because "they couldn't handle our group" or "they were already booked." We book up too, but can handle many more people a day so as the days get shorter we don't book up as fast. That's all.

I am sure you will have a great time wherever you go.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka