mo_skydiver

Aircraft tampered with at Couch Freaks

So, the FAA and local authorities are looking into an incident involving a Lear Jet being tampered with (presumably by a jumper) inside it's hangar at Couch Freaks. I really hope this isn't the case, but if so, what were you thinking? This is an awesome boogie and I would hate to see it shut down because of some immature dumbass(es)!

This is the state of our sport. There is a % of people that spend their time trying to fuck things up. Soon the only DZs that exist will be on private property.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

" ... Maybe it was a TSA inspector, not a skydiver!

..."

This sort of incompetence reminds me of the FAA Inspectors who left a "grounded" notice on a light twin - that had Q-Tip" propellers.

"This aircraft is grounded because it has recently suffered a wheel-up landing, bending propellers, ..."

:D

Anyway... hopefully it wasn't too bad. I recall years ago Drop Zone "A" calling up the FAA suspecting someone from Drop Zone "B" had tampered with thier aircraft... because DZ "A" found a bumper sticker from DZ "B" prominently displayed on their King Air. Not that it makes it okay or anything.

Do you know what specifically what was tampered with?

When I heard it was a Lear, my immediate thought was unauthorized DNA on the cabin floor.

Exactly what I thought too... somebody wanted to "christen it" :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When I heard it was a Lear, my immediate thought was unauthorized DNA on the cabin floor.

You even been IN a Lear??

The was real~Skinny~ folks... if it was on the floor! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You even been IN a Lear??

The was real~Skinny~ folks... if it was on the floor! :ph34r:

I didn't mean specifically the floor and yes I've been in one of those. the chairs are much more comfortable. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

version I heard at Ft Dodge was someone wasted was walking/climbing/falling on the wing(s)
Might have been an attempted base jump
If you've ever been to Couch Freaks, you'll be "shocked"
I'm shocked the owner didn't have the hanger locked up.
Not making excuses for who ever did it, just saying that this is "couch freaks"
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I'm sure he's learned his lesson now. Nonetheless, if all of the pilots that use the airport feel they need to lock their stuff up while we're in town, I wouldn't be surprised if the people in charge told us we weren't welcome back. The Ft. Dodge airport also has commercial airline service and I can bet you that if the FAA, TSA, NW Airlines, or the local authorities feel that the boogie poses a risk to any of the aircraft there, there will be serious changes.

This is now two years in a row that the FAA/TSA had to investigate a damaged/tampered with aircraft during the boogie. Last year, another airplane was re-appropriated from it's parking spot in the middle of the night. It turned up damaged inside the loading tent, but not before the airport manager and FAA had already gotten involved with the "stolen aircraft." I'd imagine the flight school that owned that airplane isn't too impressed with the skydivers.

All I'm saying is that this is one of the funnest boogies I've ever been too, and I'd like to be able to keep Couch Freaks on my annual calendar. I think everyone looks forward to all of the debauchary and stupidity that ensues, but let's please make sure that we keep that stupidity to ourselves.

I have to agree with Mo_skydiver. Many people start counting down for this boogie in moment after the current boogie ends. Get memories made. Hate to see it end all because of something like this. I do seem to remember somepeople I know trying to hotwire the beer truck, but only to move it closer to the party.

typical

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So that gives some jerk the right to mess with something that isn't his?

*shaking head* Skydivers are their own worse enemy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

This used to/still does happen a lot in the Air Force. Different units will put stickers of their unit patch/logo (called zaps) on other units airplanes, behind the bar at the club, in the crew bus, etc. I don't think a little unit rivaly is in poor taste, as long as it doesn't do any damage or tick anyone off. It's kind of cool to go to an out of the way AF club and see who has been there. Some places the protect them as part of the history of the place and encourage new visitors to place theirs somewhere.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Someone needs the lecture about the "mile high" part of the "Mile High Club" [:/]:S
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

It turned up damaged inside the loading tent, but not before the airport manager and FAA had already gotten involved with the "stolen aircraft."

why is stolen in quotes? - it is stealing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This used to/still does happen a lot in the Air Force. Different units will put stickers of their unit patch/logo (called zaps) on other units airplanes, behind the bar at the club, in the crew bus, etc. I don't think a little unit rivaly is in poor taste, as long as it doesn't do any damage or tick anyone off. It's kind of cool to go to an out of the way AF club and see who has been there. Some places the protect them as part of the history of the place and encourage new visitors to place theirs somewhere.

and this is great within the skydiving community (cross posting stickers on other DZ aircraft) for DZOs that don't have direct objections to it. Otherwise, it's vandalism despite the intentions

but when our culture spills over into the private aviators space (read that non-skydiving), then it's about jerks doing criminal activity and no "DUDE, it's a BOOGIE" argument will (or should) make it all better.

Couch is a great boogie - but every year, more jerks are working full time to ruin it for the rest of us.

The Des Moines Skydivers are a great crowd and work hard to put this on for us every year. I really don't think they are proud when their guests are total asses.

Eventually, the airport will require a huge liability insurance policy for boogies in the future or just not allow it at all.

Last time I was at WFFC Quincy a bunch of drunks were setting off fireworks in the airplane parking area.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Last time I was at WFFC Quincy a bunch of drunks were setting off fireworks in the airplane parking area.

During the planning of the last WFFC that was held in Quincy, I was required to meet with the Quincy Police every single Friday for a year. The subject of those meetings was skydiver responsiblilty. Long and short of it was, they don't understand us much, and they want very little to do with us. Problem is, when we do stupid things like the above mentioned, they are put in a position of HAVING to deal with us. Why can't we just learn from our past mistakes? We regulary destroy a good time, and then say "boy, do I miss the XYZ Boogie, what ever happened to it?"
BTW. I missed a day a week of work, at my own expense to volunteer to drive 3.5 hours to these stupid meetings to vouch for friends who apparently didn't really give a damn.
As usual it's the less than 10 percent who ruin it for the rest of us.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I know where you are coming from.

Spence,

Are you refering to that yo yo who insisted on driving his car on the runway at ST Mary's GA last year, even after he was warned to stop?

Him and everyone like him. There is a small percentage of people who come to events just to try to fuck things up. Very sad but true.