mellow

spinning on my back

early on, i had a bad case of the spins during aff, and have figured that out many jumps ago. but now, every time i attempt to backfly, i immediately start turning, and before i can attempt to figure out what is asymmetrical, i start to spin, so i just flip over and go back to my belly. i try again a few seconds later, and the same thing happens.

i've talked to a few coaches/instructors at my dz and gotten some ideas, but haven't been on a coach jump yet with anyone to try and fix this. maybe someone has an idea that i can try??? thanks.
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

maybe someone has an idea that i can try???

How about follow your training?

Just like during AFF, pick a heading, relax, and dip a shoulder away from the turn. Remember that you're upside down, so thinking in terms of left/right might get confusing. Stick with, "I'm turning this way, so I'll lean that way".

maybe someone has an idea that i can try??? thanks.

"a coach jump to try and fix this"

+1 backflying is weird when you start. video and someone that may be willing to hold you steady in freefall helps.

you will always have a much better success rate in new flying disciplines with a coach present for a few jumps, rather than just huckin' it... in addition to the safety reasons/briefings/lessons.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Usually when i start spinning unintentionally, one of my legs is cocked out at an odd angle. You'll be able to look at your legs when you're on your back, so check and see if they're even. Also, backflying, to me at least, seems to be a more relaxed position than belly flying. Just flip over, get stable and try and just let your legs and arms do what they want instead of trying to fight your way into a stable position. I'd bet if you do you'll find yourself stable. And if you start flipping or something, that will be fine too.

thanks guys-

you all had some good ideas that i'll try. i'll be down at the dz this weekend, so, in addition to continuing to try and figure it out on my own, i'll get a coach jump. eventually i'll get it.

it feels great for the few seconds i'm actually stable! wish me luck!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

Check out the videos on YouTube with Niklas Daniel. He does a great explanation of learning how to backfly. If you have access to tunnel time, it may save you $$$ on jump tickets in the long run.

I agree with the dip your shoulder technique, it's how I learned. Eventually, you'll be able to use your limbs too.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

You'll be able to look at your legs when you're on your back, so check and see if they're even.

That's a negative ghostrider.

You can look at your legs when you're belly flying too, you just have to look away from your heading to do it.

If you're looking at your legs while backflying, you're not looking at your heading, or even in the general direction you should be looking. If you do have to look at your legs to stop the spin, the chances are that when you go back to looking at your heading (or in the direction you'll be looking when backflying with another person) that your lower body won't be in tune with yor upper body again.

I agree, you need to have lower bady awareness, but it's mental, not visual, just like belly flying. Keep your eyes on your heading and your head in postition, this is key. Your body will follow your head at all times (thanks to your neck) so generally where you look is where you go. It works for turning as well as not turning.

i've talked to a few coaches/instructors at my dz and gotten some ideas, but haven't been on a coach jump yet with anyone to try and fix this. maybe someone has an idea that i can try??? thanks.

Share hour long tunnel blocks with 3-4 other skydivers and don't be surprised if it takes six of them.

That got me to the point I could dock on my back.

Usually when i start spinning unintentionally, one of my legs is cocked out at an odd angle. You'll be able to look at your legs when you're on your back, so check and see if they're even. Also, backflying, to me at least, seems to be a more relaxed position than belly flying. Just flip over, get stable and try and just let your legs and arms do what they want instead of trying to fight your way into a stable position. I'd bet if you do you'll find yourself stable. And if you start flipping or something, that will be fine too.

This is not meant as a flame but just an observation on my part. At 32 jumps, if your profile is correct, you should be working on perfecting you basic RW skills, i.e. belly fling. And at 32 jumps you should not be giving advice to other jumpers on how to do any type of flying. Particularly when your advice is wrong. As I said, not a flame just my opinion.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This is not meant as a flame but just an observation on my part. At 32 jumps, if your profile is correct, you should be working on perfecting you basic RW skills, i.e. belly fling. And at 32 jumps you should not be giving advice to other jumpers on how to do any type of flying. Particularly when your advice is wrong. As I said, not a flame just my opinion.

Sparky

You never know, some folks may be tunnel rats. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Someone at my DZ has hundreds (if not thousands) of tunnel time and can can freefly with the best of them. With that said, he's also an excellent belly flyer. They only have 40-50 jumps.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

This is not meant as a flame but just an observation on my part. At 32 jumps, if your profile is correct, you should be working on perfecting you basic RW skills, i.e. belly fling. ...
Sparky

Yes, perfect or at least be proficient at the belly fling. Far too many people over look the belly fling early in their careers. It's funny to watch freeflyers finally decide to go back and attempt the belly fling exit. Dreadful ...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You never know, some folks may be tunnel rats. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Someone at my DZ has hundreds (if not thousands) of tunnel time and can can freefly with the best of them. With that said, he's also an excellent belly flyer. They only have 40-50 jumps.

Do some research; he is a starving college student, doesn’t own a rig and is very concerned about the cost of buying one. It sounds like he would be hard pressed to buy tunnel time. Like I said before, that’s if his profile is correct.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals