chuteless

Jumper with cancer

Jumpers everywhere:

In 1963, a fellow joined our jump club whose name is George Drainville, and he became a pretty good jumper. Not long after, the local safety officer tried to prevent him from jumping for the sole reason, that he didnt like George.

I told George to stay with me, book his name on the loads I was on, and no one would dare interfere.

He progressed very well, and with my team, The Descenders Parateam, George was able to perform at many air shows including Canada's largest, the Canadian Intnl Air Show at Toronto. He also jumped at many special events including the Canadian Football classic, the Grey Cup Game in 1973.

George has recently undergone multiple operations for cancer of the bladder, and has had much of his plumbing removed, and now has to wear a caffeter.
He is coughing up a great deal of blackened blood clots, and this is putting a great strain on his body and mind.

He has to go back to hospital soon to have a hole put in his chest so doctors can retreive black blood clots to see if there is any additional cancer.

I talked to him on the phone last Thursday, and he is extremely dispondent, and there is much lonliness in his heart, which I attribute to not being able to speak with the many jumpers he had been with since 1963.He lives on the East coast of Canada now, while his jumping was always done in Ontario.

It would be a great emotional lift for George, is jumpers from anywhere in the range of Dropzone.com, ( the world ) would send him a birthday card, and a message to get well soon etc etc.

He turns 80 years old on October 23rd 2009, and I know that receiving cards from jumpers, would go a long way in making him feel people do care about a fellow jumper.

His address is:

George Drainville

31 Birch Grove

Upper Tantallon

Nova Scotia,

Canada

B3Z-1L1

I thank each and every skydiver who will assist in sending a card of well wishes, and will post a report on how , hopefully, an avalanche of mail lifted his spirits.

Thanks to you all,

Bill Cole D-41, Canada.

my 22 year old daugther is fighting lymphoma and is doing very well and will beat it. she is doing kemo and is sick a lot and she gets motion sickness easy.she comes to the dz and does a couple tandems a year but she didnt think she would be able to jump this summer and was bummed out about it, but shes doing so well that her dr. is giving her a 2 month break from kemo to get her weight back up a little and such. when she called to let me know she sounded so happy and uplifted ,this will be one of those jumps you never forget. anyways i'd be happy to drop a line and will ask lind's to do the same. ( thanks for listening to me whine next time i'll supply cheese)

The first pic is the billboard pic of the ad, the second occurred as Bill and George passed a billboard on the way to Florida the next trip. They stopped and had George pose in his gear beside his picture.

Interesting, the original pic was shot in Florida and the background turned out quite brown. In the lab they later changed it and put in the green Canadian summer background. Bill and George were still happy to have gotten the trip to florida for the commercial, even if they could have just done it up here in the first place.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It would be a great emotional lift for George, is jumpers from anywhere in the range of Dropzone.com, ( the world ) would send him a birthday card, and a message to get well soon etc etc.

He turns 80 years old on October 23rd 2009, and I know that receiving cards from jumpers, would go a long way in making him feel people do care about a fellow jumper.

Hi, Bill
You are right - people do care. :)
Blue skies,
Karen

I just want to say that you & your daughter are in my thoughts. I think it's wonderful that she is doing so well fighting the lymphoma! I'm so glad she will get to do her tandem :)
Blue skies,soft landings,
Karen

P.S.
I didn't hear any whining at all in your post, just a loving dad!

thanks for the kind words of support (also to weegegirl for her pm) . i have such a greater amount of respect for people who get more involved and who try to help other people.we all have problems that seem to be major but when you go to dinner and your daugther tells you with big tear filled eyes that she has cancer it not only tears your heart out but also your soul and leaves you so empty.so to everyone whos worried about things like jobs,bills and such ,it could be worse

ZOOM 1 , Tell your daughter we are thinking of her, and pray that she will recover. Thanks for your input, and there wasn't any whine I could detect.

I'm not whining about George either, I am his friend, and I care about him, and would appreciate anyone sending a card to help him get through this monstrosity of cancer and all that goes with it.

Thanks to everyone.

I have emailed compassionate skydivers in many countries, and asked them to send George a card.

Many have indicated that they would do so.

I expect this will extend his life a few days, and give him a psycological lift that he desparately needs at this time.

To all those who have indicated they would send him a card, I thank you sincerely.

Bill Cole
D-41
Canada

Friday Sept 18th 2009

I telephoned Geroge's home this morning, and his wife answered the call.

She told me George is back in the hospital, and the doctor says he has no more than 6 months to live, and probably much less. She said he will not be coming out of the hospital alive.

He now has lung cancer and is on 100% oxygen.

I told her that I have asked for cards of good wishes to be sent, and she says that will certainly give him a lift, as he is really feeling down at the latest news.

It may cost someone two or three dollars to get a card and send it, but it will help him....not get better,..... but in knowing the world's family of skydivers are thinking of a brother..

Hope you can help.

Bill Cole D-41 Canada

I've just received word that George passed away this afternoon. After his operations he had gone downhill quickly, but at least his suffering is over. Thank you to all those that sent cards, many were received from all over the States and also Europe. I'm sure it helped George to feel people cared.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Hi fellow jumpers:

I received a telephone call from George's wife last night. She is receiving cards from many places in the skydiving world, and is in ABSOLUTE AWE about them.

She asked me to thank everyone who has shown kindness and compassion in sending the cards to George, even if he passed away without seeing some of them.

She and their children will keep the cards as a tribute to George, and both her and I appreciate what you people have done.

Many thanks

Bill Cole D-41 Canada