grimmie

Pro active EMS training.

I recently conducted an EMS training day for the local fire, ambulance and airship providers at Perris Valley Skydiving. We covered an array of topics and discussed incidents, "what ifs" and other operational issues. We covered;
1. A basic first jump course and gear familiarization.
2. Mechanism of injury (with DVD) covering hook turns, free fall collisions, malfunctions etc.
3. Treatment of injured skydivers. (C-spine without rig cutting!)
4. Aircraft emergencies and familiarization. DZ familiarization.
5. Reviewed our DZ policies on emergencies and discussed a host of issues with some great exchange of ideas.

In the near future the closet three airships will be flying in for the same course.

We have a great working relationship with our local responders.

If anyone would like info please pm me.

(Special thanks to Karen Lewis for a great training DVD.)

One question i have though, on the treatment of injured skydivers, how long did/does it take to remove the rig, while maintaining c-spine precautions? According to our protocols down here, with a trauma alert (which im assuming most of these cases will qualify as) we only have 10 minutes from arrival to the time we have to be on the road.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

If you undo the chest and leg straps you can have an injured skydiver on a back board in 30-45 seconds with the right techniques. You can slide one arm out and then slide the rig off the other or put both arms straight up if they aren't injured and slide the rig up off. I am going to make a training DVD on the "packaging" of injured jumpers during our next course. I'll send it to you.

If you undo the chest and leg straps you can have an injured skydiver on a back board in 30-45 seconds with the right techniques. You can slide one arm out and then slide the rig off the other or put both arms straight up if they aren't injured and slide the rig up off. I am going to make a training DVD on the "packaging" of injured jumpers during our next course. I'll send it to you.

I suggest you allow the responders to take turns playing accident victim and wear the rig as the others take it off so they know how it feels and where the stick points are. It's also important to understand the difference between a rig with a reserve still inside, and an empty container, as well as the possible placement of the AAD. Those factors can affect the mechanism of injury. A rig with a reserve still inside has a greater chance of damaging the mid-spine, and makes it more difficult to position the patient supine.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Oh, ok cool! That was the biggest issue i thought of. the other thing you might want to do is show people at the DZ how to effectively employ said technique, since MOST accidents happen at a DZ or somewhere with other skydivers present, and since they are the true FIRST responders, and the people who will most likely know the most about said rig. If they could safely extricate a diver out of his/her rig before EMS got there then it would eliminate the problem of EMS cutting a rig.

Just a thought, im not sure how practical it really is, but it might be somethign to consider.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

We package up a patient as part of the training. I also discuss the fulcrum points of a rig still with a non deployed reserve or with a deployed reserve and still packed main. We also discuss and view all types of helmets, tandem gear and wingsuits. We cover prone and supine positions of the patient also.

We package up a patient as part of the training. I also discuss the fulcrum points of a rig still with a non deployed reserve or with a deployed reserve and still packed main. We also discuss and view all types of helmets, tandem gear and wingsuits. We cover prone and supine positions of the patient also.

any possibility this would be for sale to just any old body?

Thanks for the pm's. Lots of good questions. I will make a DVD showing different gear removal methods to send out to you guys soon.

Can I get in on that? The ambulance company I work for covers a dropzone too, love to share it with the appropriate crews.

*edit* If some duckets are in order, postage and handling etc. just let me know;)
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Thanks Sparky, it was nice to see you the other day.

I am making a DVD showing methods to C-spine and backboard skydivers without cutting the gear off. I will send it out to anyone that gives me their info. It will take about a month to finish. I'll let you guys know when it's ready. We're a little busy at the moment at Perris.

I will also travel to any DZ's that would like some help with their emergency plans and train their local responders.