ZigZagMarquis

Cal City Otter & C206 at Pepperell, MA

I got there too late for what would have been the best picture -- 121PM being towed around the airport by a Miata with its top down.
But maybe one of these days we'll do a photo shoot that includes the tool truck -- also in the Pilgrim colors.
Jr. is talking about recovering from Sr. the O2 system.

HW

Hey there all you Pepperell-ites!

I found this video of a DC-3 jump we did at Apple Valley Skydive on the opening day of the place back on 1 Sept 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-_VWmZM7k

Why am I posting it here? Well, if you look really close, you might be able to spot vpjr flying right seat in the DC-3. ;) Ask him how he used a dust-pan to let us know when to get out. :P:D

Was reading the "Skydive Pepperell Guide" and found this...

"... firearms are forbidden on airport property."

:o

*faints*

*thud*

Skydive California City used to be the best armed Dropzone in SoCal. When going shooting after the days Skydiving was done, it pretty much looked like we were mobilized for Iwo Jima. :D:P

... okay... y'all guys back in Mass are painting everything in sight to match the badly faded, oxidized and defunct paint scheme of Pilgrim Airlines that persists on 121PM and I'm the one that's obsessed??!!? Like, Duuuuhah... :P

I hope the DZ dogs around Pepperell don't sit still for too long, lest one of y'all paint Yellow, Green and Orange stripes on them! :D

...god damn I miss that plane. Hey, does it still rattle like a mother fucker in the floor when it starts to take off? My first jump was in that otter, scared the fuck out of me. Second was from that 206. I love the paint job by the way. Hey Timmy, at least the peckerhead legacy lives on. Love the peckerhead. Oh and no guns? How about hand cannons? BRING HER HOME!

I appreciate your effort in keeping people up to date on the old Cal City dropzone.

However, I think the time has come to just say dude, look, the place was great but the owners killed it. This was done by choice, not by circumstance.

It’s done. Let it go.

I quit skydiving because the place shut down. I ended up moving out of California because that dropzone was the only good reason to stay in SoCal. Despite this, I have let the place go. It’s time to let the past die a well deserved death.

It was arguably the best DZ in SoCal, but it was also the least visited due to various reasons.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find happiness at another dropzone.

Take care.

Simplejack

Take-offs are nice and smooth for now. Could have been an out of balance nosewheel tire. I realy need to freshen up the green and Orange and black and white paint. Ok the yellow could be done too. I enjoy the stories of Cal City and photos posted on DZ.com, but I grew up there.

So you quit skydiving because a physical location ceased to exsist ? Very odd,,,,,thats like never eating a burger again because a favorite location closed and a strip mall was put up....are you saying no burgers out there are any good cuz that one closed ? You'll never find another burger ? anywhere ? Doesn't sound like you were into skydiving.........
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

So you quit skydiving because a physical location ceased to exsist ? Very odd,,,,,thats like never eating a burger again because a favorite location closed and a strip mall was put up....are you saying no burgers out there are any good cuz that one closed ? You'll never find another burger ? anywhere ? Doesn't sound like you were into skydiving.........

...Wally, I would find no reason to argue with simplejack. I felt the same way for a while, and sometimes still do. After that place closed (though we werent there long), I moved on to other DZ's (Perris, Elsinore, Taft) and they just didnt have what I was looking for. Cal-City had more to offer than Skydiving. I could pull in with my toy hauler at 10:30 on a friday night and knew someone was going to be in area 51 drinking beer around the alien-egg shaped fire pit. I could get drunk and sleep under the front tire of the otter, just to make sure I was up to catch the early bird (5:00am). If you were on the early bird and bought three jumps, the fourth was FREE. WTF? you heard me right. I still jump, but its not why I started jumping. Met some really cool people that I never see anymore. Andy White, Joey Preston, Lori Hudjens, Tony Kekahuna, Bob & Judy Celaya, Jim Gold, Dave Barlia, Ken Thompson, Daisy (Tony's dog, R.I.P. Daisy), Tree, Black Kevin ( I didnt know black folk jumped from planes. This one does.) Mikey, Mike, Dave, ZigZag himself. Lets not forget Robert. He always had a smile on his face, an all around nice dude, the only guy I knew that could burn egg's. I could go on, and on. Skydiving no longer has the aspect's that drew me towards it. I miss all you weird fuckers.

Why would someone be up this early posting on dropzone.com??

Well, unfortunately, some of us have to get up that early to get cleaned up and out of the house to make it to a "real job" on-time... :P

... plus I made the mistake of checking email before I left the house and just couldn't resist... :$

Anyway, I was hoping I could goad someone like HW to make an all 121PM & associated look-alike paint job 206s and vehicles video, push it to YouTube & Link it here... :D;):P:)

:)

I've been thinking of doing a "Lost DZ" project too and shooting some current video of the now defunct Cal City and Apple Valley DZs and cutting the new video together with some old stuff & photos... if nothing else, it would be an excuse to buy a new camera. B|