skywombat

Boulder, CO or San Diego?

Greetings, Internet!
I'm a newbie skydiver in the static line program. I am trying to get licensed before winter, but am not sure if this will happen, given the weather and potential setbacks on my part. This December, I have relocate for my job. My options are Boulder and San Diego. All other things being equal, which location is better for skydiving? I've read the DZ reviews on this site, but I wanted to see if people had anything else to add. I jump at a relatively small DZ right now and I really enjoy the close atmosphere. Plus, the people are awesome and it's run really well. Ideas? Suggestions? Where should I go? Thank you!
Steve

If the only thing you're considering is skydiving, San Diego by a long shot. There are several great DZs within a couple hours and more importantly, year-round skydiving-friendly weather. (This is not meant as a dis on the Colorado DZs, just the fact of life of the weather in Southern California vs. the weather in Colorado).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

you will have many more opportunities to jump in san diego, and if you come out here you can check out 3 big DZ's, Elsinore, Perris and san Diego and you can utilize the perris tunnel and the hollywood tunnel. weather is wayy nicer too ;)
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

you will have many more opportunities to jump in san diego, and if you come out here you can check out 3 big DZ's, Elsinore, Perris and san Diego and you can utilize the perris tunnel and the hollywood tunnel. weather is wayy nicer too ;)

My guess is at least one of those three will be cheaper to altitude than Mile hi, and you'll get more than 12.5. Oh, and by the way, so cal is awesome. Don't forget your beach cruiser.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

If your schedule is limited, then San Diego is the way to go. Boulder (specifically Longmont) is great but it's getting towards the end of the season. (I'm actually in Boulder today and they are saying a chance of snow showers next week.)

The San Diego DZ is about 30min from downtown; Perris and Elsinore are about 80 minutes.

Life long So-cal local here. Jumped at SD, Elsinore and Perris. For skydiving, SD (vs. Boulder) is the best choice. It is also a great city to live in, albeit expensive.

If you ski/ride, SD is about 6 hrs to Mammoth, and if there is local snow, about 90 mins from local snow. Its not Boulder, but not too bad.

>However, if you want to ski or snowboard or do other outdoor stuff as
>well then Boulder by a longshot.

From my experience:

Boulder wins on:
interesting weather
clean air
climbing
scenery
skiing/snowboarding

San Diego wins on:
consistently good weather
skydiving
surfing
swimming/kayaking
SCUBA
beer

It's a toss up on:
mountain biking
paragliding

to second Bill...we have some AMAZING microbreweries here in SD county. and quite a lot of them. I know you wouldn't think it, but San Diego is becoming a beer hotspot!

And we all love beer, now, don't we? :P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

FLORIDA!! Where america goes to die! Its WAY better than stupid california :)B|:P HAHA

FAIL!!! shuddup! :)

why dont you come over to the COOL half of the continent and say that to my face!:)B|:D:D:D:D
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

>However, if you want to ski or snowboard or do other outdoor stuff as
>well then Boulder by a longshot.

From my experience:

Boulder wins on:
interesting weather
clean air
climbing
scenery
skiing/snowboarding

San Diego wins on:
consistently good weather
skydiving
surfing
swimming/kayaking
SCUBA
beer

It's a toss up on:
mountain biking
paragliding

I'd add road cycling and hiking/camping to that boulder list. Also we have some great rafting, canoeing and kayaking. Also SD may have Stone breweries which makes some good IPAs but Boulder has Avery which makes the best beer in the world:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/22352
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

I was born and raised in SD and recently moved to Boulder.... Gotta say the skydiving scene wins in San Diego hands down... And obviously Skydive SD wins for the DZ's out there.

I moved to Boulder for something new though. Alot of good boarding and there is still the dz like 30 min away except fuck jumping in the winter... thats for the birds.. There's also the tunnel in Denver about an hour away from boulder.

>I'd add road cycling and hiking/camping to that boulder list.

Road cycling I'd have to give to San Diego; I can bike on some very good roads 350 days out of the year in the sunshine. But I'd agree on camping/hiking.

>Also we have some great rafting, canoeing and kayaking. Also SD may have
>Stone breweries which makes some good IPAs but Boulder has Avery which
>makes the best beer in the world:

Ah, but San Diego also has Lost Abbey which makes the best barrel aged beers in the world. They also have Lightning, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Karl Strauss, Alpine, Coronado, Firehouse, Mission Brewing, Coronado, Boulevard and the San Diego Brewing Company. Outside of Lost Abbey, there are many breweries elsewhere who would give San Diego's beers a run for their money (Avery, Russian River, New Glarus, Firestone Walker) but nowhere outside of Portland are so many in one place.

>http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/22352

From BeerAdvocate's top 100 beers of all time, 19 come from San Diego.

Not to say that Boulder is any slouch; I spent last night in the Boulder Beer Co. and both their Hazed and Infused and their Porter are out of this world. But I'd still have to give the beer title to San Diego over Boulder.

(Sorry, I got going on beer again in the General forum! Back to skydiving . . .)

Obviously for jumping your going to SD. . .

Back to the beer . . .we have Avery, Left Hand, Boulder Beer, Twisted Pine, Mnt. Sun, . . .

well shit, I know there are more but I can't count 19!

In fact as a Native Boulder ColoRADican I'm thinkn about moving to So Cal!! I'm sick of the shitty cold!

Go to SD.
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

Hands down, you can't beat Sandiego...cost more to live here, but major DZ's withing an hour ! Otay, (here) Elsinore and Perris, (riverside county, about 60 minutes away)

With Boulder, the turbine DZ is 15 minutes away. It is not unreasonable to detour by the DZ on a summer day after work to make just 1 or 2 loads.

San Diego does have better breweries.

I could pull my emails from 2004/2005 winter... Every weekend I PMed on Dorkzone.com a San Diego friend, "Got in a few jumps today. The snow was awesome, the world was white."

His replies were always: "Rained" "Cloudy" "Windy". No loads.

At the end of the winter, we calculated jump days. I had MANY MANY MANY more jump days between December and April than he did - all in Colorado. That winter was very rainy for Cali and very un-windy for Colo, but on average we still jump a hell of a lot here.

Colorado unfortunately gets some wind in the winter - however there never has been a period where I could not jump every month. Last year we had 3 bad weekends in a row (with great weekdays) - and went about 30 days between jumping. It was abnormal.

I used to live in the LA area. I say both are cool (Cali and Colo).... Of the 40+ states I have been to, I enjoy Cali and Colo the best for diversity and beauty.

jump days between December and April... in Colorado...

How many fingers and toes did you have amputated from frost bite jumping in CO in those months? ha ha ha! F*CKING COLD!!!!!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983