BTVparachutist

BANDIT JUMPER FOUND NO CHARGES TO BE PRESSED

He was just making a little jump before class, no need to call in TSA, the state police and the fire department....

It does seem pretty foolish, and it certainly appears that our government is a bit out of control. However, Plattsburgh is only about 25 miles from the Canadian boarder, and the feds are stupidly suspicious about everything. They probably thought it might be a terrorist attacking critical cornfield infrastructure, or an illegal alien plummeting to a low wage job.

There is a lesson here for us all. Police and other authority figures react to anything unusual. If we are going to make demo jumps, or jump off the drop zone, it's usually worth a quick courtesy call to the police, if only to keep them out of our hair. The days of barnstorming freedom are over,sadly.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Police said Ruggles did not violate any laws, so he will not be charged with anything.

I wonder if the FAA will agree. Did you file a NOTAM, and jump through all the other hoops you need to jump through to make a "legal" skydive? Remember man, it's not you they'll throw the book at.

Elvisio "pilots are our buds" Rodriguez

Police said Ruggles did not violate any laws, so he will not be charged with anything.

I wonder if the FAA will agree. Did you file a NOTAM, and jump through all the other hoops you need to jump through to make a "legal" skydive? Remember man, it's not you they'll throw the book at.

Elvisio "pilots are our buds" Rodriguez

I was wondering the same thing.....

You are not required to file a notam. All that is needed to make a legal skydive is contact with ATC and the land owners permission. I'm not sure where he landed but there seems to be no problem with where he landed. I would venture to say the FAA could give a shit whether or not you have permission from a land owner. That would be a local issue.

If he landed on public land there may be no local laws against landing a parachute so no charges were filed.I ran a boogie in Destin,Fla for several years and never found anyone in any government office that gave a shit about us landing on the beach. Having said that, that is not the way it is in most towns.