tombuch

"JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy"

Doesn’t 2003 seem like a long time ago? That was the year my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy was published by McGraw-Hill. JUMP! went through two printings, but was finally taken out of print a bit over a year ago, and hasn’t been available for a while. Of course there may still be a few new copies on retailers shelves, and it can be purchased through Amazon as a used book or as a download for their Kindle device.

Google Books is cataloging printed material with the hope of making every book ever published available to the public, including those that are out of print. JUMP! has been scanned and is now on the Google Books site as a limited (free) preview. For anybody interested, the book can be viewed at http://books.google.com/books?id=1VXVMR3OVF0C&pg=PP1&dq=jump+skydiving+made+fun+and+easy&ei=heTJSsiBMaPsMK62vb0M#v=onepage&q=&f=false. The main page of the listing has a large image of the cover, and just above that is a dropdown menu of chapters. Each chapter is available in its entirety, although there appears to be a limit to how many pages can be viewed at a time.

Lots of new jumpers come to Dropzone.com looking for answers to common questions, many of which are included in JUMP!. The book has a terrific chapter on Psychology that helps beginners learn to relax and use their stress in a positive way. There is a chapter about Risk that includes detailed statistics that were current when the book was published in 2003. And there is a chapter called “Making Your Decision” that helps a prospective student figure out how to choose a drop zone, and includes a series of questions and evaluation points.

If you are not familiar with JUMP! it would be worth checking out the contents, and if you encounter beginners are asking questions that are answered in the book, the above link (or a direct link to the online chapter) would probably help them out. I’ve asked Google Books to open the title to full search and download, but that probably won’t happen for several months or longer. In the meantime, enjoy the free access. If there are other books that interest you, the main Google Books site can be reached at: http://books.google.com/books
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Unfortunately I could not access every chapter, I was only able to view the Overview.

I have the book in my collection and I think its great. I've loaned it out a few times and the response has always been great.

If I could access the whole book I would add a link to my personal web page and promote others to do the same. It would be a great way to promote newbies to give skydiving a try.

Edit to add
OOPS... spoke too soon !!!
I was using Google Chrome and when I changed to Internet Explorer I could access every chapter.
I tested Firefox and it appeared that I had access to every chapter but they would not appear.

Looks like IE is the way to go with Google Books
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks for the kind words about JUMP!.

I just checked the Google Books page and had no trouble with IE 8.0.6001, Safari 4.0.3, and FireFox 3.5.3. I didn't have a chance to check Chrome, but I would have expected a Google product could access a Google product, umm, or perhaps not. There may be some glitches with the technology, so I suppose it's worth having a variety of browsers available.

Happy reading to all...
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy