bocabruce1

Retired Due To Injury

Last May I went on my first tandum with Buzz. It was so great I went on a second tandum again with Buzz. I was convinced that this was something I wanted to do, had to do. Must do. So, I scraped up $1200.00 and went for the AFF. I graduated with beautiful jumps and great landings. I really felt like this was something I could do. I am 50 yrs old and never been athletic. This is just a gravity sport. Two weeks ago I had a nightmare in freefall. I can't explain exactually what happened cause I do not know. But when I felt the cypress fire at 650 feet I shattered both ankles and my life has changed. I can't imagine ever jumping again and it makes me sad. Pray for me. Thanks for everyone who helped me and blue skies.
bocabruce

So you're saying you got injured in your dream and are quitting or you thought it was a dream and it really happened?
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

No point in posting without telling us what happened,[:/],as far as jumping again,,,many people have been hurt far worse and came back,,,,,,

...and Bruce, even if your decision is firm, please help the skydiving community by describing (a) whatever you can remember (if anything) about freefall, and (b) what it was that shattered your ankles - was it the opening shock of the reserve canopy, or was it the landing?

The way I read it was that he had some sort of blackout / lockup during frefall. The CYPRES fired doing it's job saving him put it was so low he got reserve inflation late which caused a hard landing breaking his ankles. And I can certainly understand his feeling like he may never jump again. It's a very personal decision. He should definitely not jump until he understands what went on during this last jump. Is there a medical problem that needs to be addressed? That's for him to determine with those at the DZ and his doctor.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

The way I read it was that he had some sort of blackout / lockup during frefall. The CYPRES fired doing it's job saving him put it was so low he got reserve inflation late which caused a hard landing breaking his ankles. And I can certainly understand his feeling like he may never jump again. It's a very personal decision. He should definitely not jump until he understands what went on during this last jump. Is there a medical problem that needs to be addressed? That's for him to determine with those at the DZ and his doctor.

Not to take this a different direction, but if his AAD went off at 650 ft (who knows if that's accurate) either he had a monster p/c hesitation or one hell of a slow opening to actually check his descent so low that he broke both ankles.

I'd love to hear the details on this one.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Bruce -
Sorry to hear you got hurt. You are on my prayer list. I hope you can find the strength and courage to get through this ok.
Like others have said, if you decide jumping again is not for you, then good luck with the rest of your life. But you don't have to make a final decision on that right now.

If nothing else, you can honestly say that you have done it.

Also like others have said, can you please clarify what happened? (as much as possible anyway)

Did you break your ankles at Cypres fire/Reserve deployment or on landing after a very low opening?

Edit to add: What was the nightmare in freefall? Unstable and tumbling from exit all the way down? Ok at beginning and went bad later? (if so what and when were you doing when you went unstable?)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

> but if his AAD went off at 650 ft (who knows if that's accurate) either he
>had a monster p/c hesitation or one hell of a slow opening to actually
>check his descent so low that he broke both ankles.

It doesn't take much of a hesitation to put you that low. We had a jumper at Perris die due to such a hesitation.

In addition, even if he got open at 200 feet, the regular stuff involved after the canopy is open (i.e. releasing brakes) can cause a very hard landing. Often such altitudes are insufficient to clear brakes, select a landing area and turn in to the wind.

On Level 7 and my first 2solos I had a great dive exit and gained stability quickly. Made some manuvers, flips and rolls then pulled at 5500'. Good canopy control but tended to fl;air a little too soon but never hurta anything but mu tslibone. This dive exit was different as suggested bu another thandem master./...and so I did a immeditely was out of control and could not get stability. Finally i was in a spin and looking for my Hackey. Was nt there and the sppinning must have casued me to pass ot perhaps. the cypres deployed at 650' they say and the ankle were cruched by impat
bocabruce

Not to take this a different direction, but if his AAD went off at 650 ft (who knows if that's accurate) either he had a monster p/c hesitation or one hell of a slow opening to actually check his descent so low that he broke both ankles.

Or he was caught up in sensory overload instead of finding a safe place to land followed by an approach (with a practice flare or two mixed in somewhere) ending with the canopy in a level, un-accelerated configuration followed by well-executed flare and PLF to take care of residual energy.

I've seen broken ankles from new skydivers who just didn't flare their rental gear when landing in a wide open grassy DZ following what was presumably an uneventful free fall and deployment above 3000 feet. The same thing is more likely to happen with a starting altitude at 650 feet, under a new canopy, probably landing off the DZ in less hospitable terrain.

In addition, even if he got open at 200 feet, the regular stuff involved after the canopy is open (i.e. releasing brakes) can cause a very hard landing. Often such altitudes are insufficient to clear brakes, select a landing area and turn in to the wind.

Being fully open at 200 feet leaves enough time to clear the brakes, make a 180 degree turn (which is always enough to face into the wind) and have a nice landing from full-flight.

It does not leave enough time to be surprised and think about what's going on.

>Being fully open at 200 feet leaves enough time to clear the brakes,
>make a 180 degree turn (which is always enough to face into the wind)
>and have a nice landing from full-flight.

On a canopy you've never flown before after a violent spin? I would think not.

My lowest BASE jump was 280 feet, and that was under what most skydivers would consider a monster canopy. 200 feet is just about enough time to unstow, turn, select a patch of ground, get to full flight and flare. And I knew exactly what to expect.

My lowest BASE jump was 280 feet, and that was under what most skydivers would consider a monster canopy. 200 feet is just about enough time to unstow, turn, select a patch of ground, get to full flight and flare. And I knew exactly what to expect.

Bill is right on the money. My lowest BASE jump was 279 feet, and there isn't any time to think at all. Just do your thing, fast. Toggles get released, parachute turns to landing, go full flight for some speed, then flare. It's all over super quick. If you are an experienced jumper opening that low on a normal skydive you will probably be able to pull it off, but coming out of a spin or instability, not much chance.

I've watched enough parachutes open at super low altitudes on the DZ, and it's usually a crap shoot whether they walkaway or not. All luck.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

All he had to do was not flare at all. If he blacked out - or whatever that nightmare thing was - there's no reason to believe he was even aware of the rest of the canopy flight and might not even have considered flaring. He wasn't pulling for himself, that's for sure. So why would he flare?

And it isn't the ankles that should make him consider if this sport is for him.

Sad part is he really seems to love this thing we do.