pojj

line twists

your taught to kick out of line twists but see alot of guys reaching for the risers and trying to spread them apart....is this dangerous can your hand get caught in a tightly bound twist and whats the best canopy for a A licensed jumper that get the least line twists provided that its packed and deployed rightB|

Spreading the risers is SOP for starting the process of getting out of line twists.

Forget the canopy (assuming you're jumping something appropriate for your skill level) and focus on body position and stability to reduce line twists.
Owned by Remi #?

On student canopies, it is standard practice to reach up and spread risers help clear line twists.
If you grab the risers at shoulder height and slide your hands up, there is negligible risk of jamming.

Injured fingers only become an issue on heavily-loaded tandem canopies.

I've never liked the term "kick your legs"

seems like a much clearer solution is to simply - extend your leg out to the side and throw it in the direction that you want to untwist, do that one time and you will continue turning until the twists are out
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

seems like a much clearer solution is to simply - extend your leg out to the side and throw it in the direction that you want to untwist, do that one time and you will continue turning until the twists are out

I just had some serious twists on my last jump. (level 5 AFF) It's so natural; it's easier to do than explain!

I just had some serious twists on my last jump. (level 5 AFF) It's so natural; it's easier to do than explain!

yep, except for the folks that you see kicking both legs and squirming around, not to natural for them
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

your taught to kick out of line twists but see alot of guys reaching for the risers and trying to spread them apart....is this dangerous can your hand get caught in a tightly bound twist and whats the best canopy for a A licensed jumper that get the least line twists provided that its packed and deployed rightB|

Just think back to when you were a kid on a swing.. In fact, you could always go on a playground (not during daylight or you might get laughed at by 5 year olds!!), sit on a swing, twist it up and stop. Then try and kick your way out of the twists. Bingo!!! Easy! Now just get a MASSIVE fan blowing toward you and someone to shake you violently around when you do it and it's just like under canopy!!! :D:D:D

(NOTE: this is not entirely serious.)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Just make sure you are not still spinning up when you try to spread your risers - I stupidly did that while still spinning and got my right hand wrapped over 3 times. Fortunately I was able to stop spinning up and was able to get my hand free and get all the twists out (I was briefly knocked out from the opening and still groggy when I tried to spread my risers while still spinning - was jumping an original Sabre 190 that has since blown up and been retired).

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I've had line twists that were so severe, and I was still spinning, that kicking didn't do shit. :S
Only by grabbing the lines above the twists and pulling myself up was I able to stop spinning. Then by pulling the risers apart I was able to untwist it all.
Basically, do whatever is necessary, and decide to cut-away or land it by 2.5k (A-License)

As far as gear that's less likely to give line twists;
Line twists are usually caused by uneven packing, uneven line stows, and body position during deployment.
I had line twists a few times when I was begining to jump my own gear. By talking to riggers and packers I was able to improve my pack jobs to prevent it.
No problems anymore.

Another reason I find it important to be on your risers is that I find that if you even the ends of the risers or get them level with each other, you can stand a better chance of having the canopy fly straight while untwisting the lines. Otherwise, the canopy might tend to dive while untwisting. On the other hand, I have had twists with an eliptical canopy and over a 2 to 1 wing loading that just wanted to keep twisting in spite of my efforts to untwist my lines. In that case, by having your arms extended up on your risers while you look at your lines, your altimeter is in plain sight.

I keep my hands on my risers spreading them apart as my canopy opens. When I have line twists, instead of spreading my risers apart and kicking my legs, I simply twist my risers in the opposite direction of twist. This moves the twist down to my chest and the resulting tension spins me back around and out of the twists. I don't know if this technique is unique to my canopy (XAOS 21 88) and 2.3 wingloading, but it works every time. I have never had to cutaway line twists. I do it in this video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FD2I8OqbS0#watch-vid-title

{edited to fix link}

I keep my hands on my risers spreading them apart as my canopy opens. When I have line twists, instead of spreading my risers apart and kicking my legs, I simply twist my risers in the opposite direction of twist. This moves the twist down to my chest and the resulting tension spins me back around and out of the twists. I don't know if this technique is unique to my canopy (XAOS 21 88) and 2.3 wingloading, but it works every time. I have never had to cutaway line twists. I do it in this video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FD2I8O

Can you check your link?
I get the message of ...."The URL contained a malformed video ID." I have used this same method but still like to see more video of it being used.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!