Slyde

USPA Board Appeal

The USPA Board's Executive Committee has revoked my membership and ratings for conduct unbecoming a skydiver and or likely to bring unfavorable attention upon the organization.

I am Mark Schlatter.
I have made 5500 skydives since 1975.
I have launched the careers of many, many professionals in this industry. I continue to do so.
I have teaching in my DNA.

Recently, I complained LOUDLY to FAA Security about their abuse of our freedom via their abuse of the Transportation Security Administration's power to demand Federal Background Checks for aviators who operate within 3 miles and 3 thousand feet of major sporting events. A jump pilot at 4500 feet is not subject to Federal Background Check. TSA agrees. (I won that argument THREE separate times, with Reggie Rhodes and Ada Johnson.) FAA has overstepped their authority with a new BETA website that will not allow YOU to get a TSA waiver UNLESS your pilot - who will NOT penetrate the TFR get's a Federal Background Check.

Note: It is LEGAL to take any Arab Muslim you befriend and fly a properly equipped light sport aircraft at 3100 feet above a NASCAR race, but FAA says you cannot drop a thoroughly vetted and highly experienced skydiving entertainer from ANY altitude unless you are scrutinized by Uncle Sam.

I asked my old friend at USPA for assistance.
I SCREAMED when he revealed his positions.

Now I appeal to the FULL BOARD OF DIRECTORS to please RECONSIDER what your executive committee and headquarters staff have enacted.

If you really want Mark Schlatter out,
this you shall remember.
USPA is voluntary.

I pray.
still & always,
m~
A Peace Prize within minutes of Bombing the Moon. Coincidence? "Beware the Military Industrial Complex." You GO Ike!

More information please Mark.

What specific act on your part did the Executive Committee determine to be "conduct unbecoming a skydiver and or likely to bring unfavorable attention upon the organization"?

I'm probably wrong, but I thought revoking a persons membership had to be done by the full Board of Directors.

The USPA Board's Executive Committee has revoked my membership and ratings for conduct unbecoming a skydiver and or likely to bring unfavorable attention upon the organization.

I am Mark Schlatter.
I have launched the careers of many, many professionals in this industry. I continue to do so.

Recently, I complained LOUDLY to FAA Security about their abuse of our freedom via their abuse of the Transportation Security Administration's power to demand Federal Background Checks for aviators who operate within 3 miles and 3 thousand feet of major sporting events. A jump pilot at 4500 feet is not subject to Federal Background Check. TSA agrees. (I won that argument THREE separate times, with Reggie Rhodes and Ada Johnson.) FAA has overstepped their authority with a new BETA website that will not allow YOU to get a TSA waiver UNLESS your pilot - who will NOT penetrate the TFR get's a Federal Background Check.

Note: It is LEGAL to take any Arab Muslim you befriend and fly a properly equipped light sport aircraft at 3100 feet above a NASCAR race, but FAA says you cannot drop a thoroughly vetted and highly experienced skydiving entertainer from ANY altitude unless you are scrutinized by Uncle Sam.

Now I appeal to the FULL BOARD OF DIRECTORS to please RECONSIDER what your executive committee and headquarters staff have enacted.

this you shall remember.
USPA is voluntary.

I pray.
still & always,
m~

My first thought is congrats!!! The last people that this happened to got paid big from what I understand.

After that, please clarify what your comlpaint is. Is it that you have to be checked out or that the pilot dropping you has to be checked out??

I am Mark Schlatter.

this you shall remember.
USPA is voluntary.

I pray.
still & always,
m~

Mark

Send me a copy of what all USPA sent you.
Re "The USPA Board's Executive Committee has revoked my membership and ratings for conduct unbecoming a skydiver and or likely to bring unfavorable attention upon the organization."
This is BS.

My guess is that the USPA fucked up again.
They don't know how to read and implement rules.
They just do what they want to.
You have my email addy.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

In very frank, often vulgar, sometimes cryptic, and most importantly VERY OFTEN email language I spoke to my 30-year-so-called-friend at head quarters about his cowardice and insulting LACK OF RESPONSE. He is the new ... uh ... Director of ... well ... director of something. I have lost my understanding of what it is exactly he thinks he is ... uh, ... "directing." Gradually, I enjoined FAA and others in the rant.
A Peace Prize within minutes of Bombing the Moon. Coincidence? "Beware the Military Industrial Complex." You GO Ike!

I pray it will not be necessary to "train" USPA again so soon. They are most certainly eligible but again, already.

Jan, I'm scanner-challenged at the moment to E hard copies. Regional Director's emails are ready for public display at the asking, per my current concerns. Sherry wrote the 1-page Certified Snail Mail delivering my sentence. (She abstained from the Executive Committee Vote, however.)

Isn't this the same Mark Schlatter that testified as an 'expert witness' for a plaintiff in the SunPath lawsuit a few years ago?

Sounds like you have your own closet full of skeletons, as we all probably do.

Before you ask everyone for all their help and toot your horn about all the great stuff you have done, maybe look in the mirror a bit closer.

I not saying you deserve anything as I know nothing about your case. But I expect you pissed someone off, and I bet it ain't "all on USPA"

In very frank, often vulgar, sometimes cryptic, and most importantly VERY OFTEN email language I spoke to my 30-year-so-called-friend at head quarters about his cowardice and insulting LACK OF RESPONSE. He is the new ... uh ... Director of ... well ... director of something. I have lost my understanding of what it is exactly he thinks he is ... uh, ... "directing." Gradually, I enjoined FAA and others in the rant.

Mark, I don't know you personally, pretty sure we've never met, but you think this might have something to do with it? I've learned the hard way, you get more flies with honey, rather than salt.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am Mark Schlatter.

Big difference here is that your example above is not throwing anything out of his airplane. The pilot is directly responsible for what is on/in his aircraft and what leaves his aircraft.

this you shall remember.
USPA is voluntary.

I pray.
still & always,
m~

I find it hard believing that a disagreement with the FAA or USPA would cause revoking of your membership. I'm not sure the whole story is out. I do find it ironic that they use a term "unbecoming a skydiver". Hell that was all of us during the 70's.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

I find it hard believing that a disagreement with the FAA or USPA would cause revoking of your membership. I'm not sure the whole story is out. I do find it ironic that they use a term "unbecoming a skydiver". Hell that was all of us during the 70's.

yeah - next thing ya know USPA will kick you out if you moon an AC doing a gear check.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Jan, I'm scanner-challenged at the moment to E hard copies. Regional Director's emails are ready for public display at the asking, per my current concerns. Sherry wrote the 1-page Certified Snail Mail delivering my sentence. (She abstained from the Executive Committee Vote, however.)

Did you ever get a certified snail mail from your RD stating what the alleged violations were?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

You are correct TK. It is the same Mark Schlatter who hand made your giant flag for the Florida Department of tourism and the same who trained your long-time staff rigger Kerry Smith and your long time staff videographer Tony Hathaway.

We all should always hope honest people will remain available to answer the juries' questions truthfully in the world's best legal system.

Being an expert is CLEARLY more fun when we don't work for the dark side. But telling the truth is not a crime. Unless you're scared of what mirrors contain.

Gangsters disuade testimonials.

I fear fear & pain; not courts or juries or narrow minds and eylids. It's all good in Texas.

Recently, I complained LOUDLY to FAA Security about their abuse of our freedom via their abuse of the Transportation Security Administration's power to demand Federal Background Checks for aviators who operate within 3 miles and 3 thousand feet of major sporting events.

Your above story MUST be leaving out many, many details.

According to what you posted, we are to believe that you complained to the FAA, and (big surprise) got little result.

Then you asked the USPA for their assistance (perfectly reasonable).

They replied, and revealed that their official position was not in line with your personal agenda (perfectly reasonable).

You got upset, and screamed at them (also reasonable).

The Ex. Committee revoked your membership (not reasonable in any way given the details you provided).

Here's the thing, you want to keep your membership, and you're looking for help in doing so. I'll be the first to admit that it is possible. There are jumpers here from all over the county, and every board member or RD is either on DZ.com, or jumps at a DZ with people who post here.

It's possible to get the board to take another look at your membership status, but before anyone here is going to go to bat for you, the first thing you have to do is TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

If you want to go back and fill in the blanks, I'm sure that if you have truely been wronged, the membership at large will get behind you. If you want to leave out big (and I'm guessing pivotal) portions of the story, I wouldn't expect too much sympathy.

Of course details are not all here yet.
The initial response from USPA was a curt reply from Government Relations indicating that they might consider trying to understand my position on the illegal behavior of FAA. Translation: We have no idea what you are talking about.

In the few weeks just prior, the Director of Government Relations CALLED ME three times to consult on matters relating to skydiving entertainment issues interacting with FAA. What angers? No call this time. Only a curt put-it-in-writing-and-we-might-think-about-it response. Then a COMPLETE non-response to frank, traditional, open anger expressed from the heart to my 30-yr friend and former Pelican club-mate.

It is traitorous, cowardly behavior. It is characteristic of the individual. It is handwriting on the wall about our representation. It is a BIG BLACK FLAG my friends. We have a serious problem going forward. I would like to do the first 500-way demo in the states called MY iNDY 500. The chances are moving in the wrong direction boys and girls. It's not easy being green. But I SEE CLEARLY what I'm saying. I'm sorry that my message irks the blind, but blind they are on this one and they admitted it right off the bat.

No pilot wants to be subjected to a federal background check. Some will just say nevermind. Why don't you get somebody else. One respondent to this thread has written exactly what FAA said to me on the phone about the pilot high above the restricted airspace. "Yeah. But if he's going to drop something into the TFR ..."

Ladies and gentlemen, we are NOT "somethings." A vetted professional operating a nylon flying device is no less a free American and no less entitled to ply his trade inside restricted airspace than a certificated pilot. Don't let USPA assist FAA in misusing the Bush-style fear-mongering invasion on our freedoms.

A thoroughly vetted and highly experienced entertainer deserves every right to enter restricted airspace. He does NOT need to inject the unpleasant breath of Uncle Sam down his pilot's back to do that.

Keep our skies safe. Sure! No problem. But treat skydivers with THE SAME FREEDOM as ordinary humans. It's hard enough making the skydiving entertainment industry come into existence and growth, without USPA hiding from what they do not understand by tossing out angry Sphincter Brothers and assisting corrupt FAA officials in abusing the fear-based laws. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Roosevelt

Fear has again become the governmental tactic for keeping you quiet. Crow a little. We can change the world. Let's do a 500 way demo. Got suggestions for MY iNDY?

If you want gory details, please write to [email protected] Thanks.

eDo onward - it's a poem
m~

And what the hell does someone being an Arab Muslim have to do with anything? Insert white Roman Catholic (Timothy McVeigh).

BTW IF we believe the items being delivered through a security zone should be checked (skydivers) it makes sense the person delivering them should be.

Not sure people hurting skydiving more than helping should be part of USPA. Membership is not a right.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Dude, it was "conduct unbecoming a skydiver".

The hilariousness of that on a hungover friday morning at 8:30 AM, after being out drinking with a bunch of skydivers in SF last night, is hard for me to describe.

What defines conduct unbecoming a skydiver? Respecting authority, being a responsible adult and acting your age? Oh, I'll be using this phrase at boogies all year. I might even have to start issuing citations.

Dweeb - "Maybe we shouldn't load the porta-poty into the skyvan..."
Me - "You sir are guilty of behavior unbecoming a skydiver! I should revoke your license, but I need your help getting this damn thing through the door, now shut up and lift"

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Thank you Terry.
"Hurting skydiving more than helping"
Your mathematics are fascinating, sir.

Thank you sir, may I have another.

Didn't I see you in my basement once?

You have worked hard surrounded by PIA. Thank you sir. It's hard work. We appreciate the worker bees.

I'm surrounded too. Guess who cheers?
Gimme a chance and I'll show you what is not seen from inside the exhibit hall.

I'll never forget the speaker at ICAS who pointed out
"this is fascinating, how we come here every year and spend all this money to convince one another how great we are."

Or the parachute manufacturer who says: Why am I spending thousands every 2 years to go give awat all my trade secrets?

As for "what the hell," are you suggesting Terry that Arab Muslims did not spawn the Transportation Security Administration? Come on councilman. Extremists, of course. Don't dilute the point. Arab Muslims are some of the most peaceful and loving people on earth, but do you suggest that our American TSA would not profile the legal flight I chose as an example?

And your "BTW" clearly reveals your lack of awareness of routine aviation activities inside TFR's.

You need to call me, Einstein.
903.UC1.SHOW

I'm free all week.

So why don't we grow, Terry? Why don't we grow? Are you suggesting that I in my activity disuade John Q some how? Or has a persuasive lawyer (bitter at his own ineptitude) merely colored your perception successfully?

I've prolly got less than 50 more years to keep jumping. You still pounding them out?
Hope so.

as i complete outsider(well im a member but im a noob and know nothing about you)

i havnt managed to figure out what you got your license pulled for

people have said they would love to help but they want to know the full story first, can you spell out the full story for us please?

Yes, I will elaborate. What I did to get thrown out was write more than 70 emails complaining with increasing audacity and ferocity about the behavior of the USPA headquarters staff, beginning with the new Director of Government Relations. Government Realtions is a service of importance to skydiving entertainers because we have allowed USPA to become recognized as the experts in the field and worthy of respect from the aviation industry in general and FAA in particular. Today I'm ashamed of that reality.

I work with more than 30 FAA offices in an average season and have written thousands of documents and hundreds of letters to make the red-tape that come with skydiving performances easier for both the performer and the FAA safety inspector who must process the documents.

Our previous Director of Government Relations knows this is true and knows of my wide raport with FAA wearing many hats including DPRE for more than 13 years. Undergraduate studies at Purdue taught me much about FAA. My BS degree is in Aviation Technology. I hold A&P and pilot certificates and was admitted to Master's Degree too at Purdue in technology teaching pursuits.

The original issue that touched off this campaign is that TSA (Transportation Security Administration) has agreed with me THREE times that a pilot does NOT need a background check if he will not penetrate a TFR during a jump flight over a major sporting event. The jumper DOES need the check. No argument there.

Last season, FAA took over final vetting of the TSA Waiver process. They did so rather clumsily with a new "BETA" website for applicants to apply. Clumsy means there was no transition between the established application process and the new "BETA" process. Beta means in general terms "almost ready for prime time but still up for review or repair." The new site is easy to use and the process efficient, BUT.

When the new BETA system refused to allow my waiver without subjecting my pilot to a background check I SPOKE OUT instantly. Here we go for the FOURTH time on this issue, I thought. When I called FAA, I was scolded by a belligerent pair at FAA Security named Kerry Fleming and Brian Throop.

Once scolded, I was angry and turned to USPA for help. Not only did the new director, nor his boss, nor any member of the board have a clue what the problem was, but the new director, a 30-yr. friend and peer in the industry replied but once in insultingly curt language and then immediately stopped all service or replies thereafter.

Research will show this is not uncharacteristic for your new representative.

We have a problem here. When so called industry leaders chose to ignore the most experienced and professional experts and then spend substantial resources and time - your dues money at work - to undermine and discredit the expert in order to mask their own ignorance ... well, we just aren't getting anywhere, gang. We are moving backwards.

I flamed out on this guy and I will stop when he quits this job or gets a clue. It is the least I can do for the common good. We simply cannot play the way this staff plays now.

We are a tiny, tiny swarm of gnats in the big aviation eco-system. Until we play nice and start sharing our crayons, using all the tools for productive progress, we will remain a spoiled bunch of cry babies who deserve to be regulated out of existence.

Share your crayons, boys & girls. It makes a nicer picture.

Child's play comes with temper tantrums. I have staged one for entertainment using grown-up straight-from-the-packing-area get-down-and-get-nasty call-a-spade-a-spade language. It is language we would scarcely notice with more than a guffaw on the DZ.

When you get a new business card or a brass plaque on your desk, should you stop allowing your friends to treat you like they always would before? I think not.

And please, tell your Regional Director that USPA needs all the help it can get. Tossing out a full-time professional skydiving entertainer who writes prolifically and who will have no choice but to spend the next few years explaining to dozens of FAA offices that the professional weakness of the USPA became unbearable ... well.

Why NOT pay higher dues in this economy? USPA is voluntary. Do we have enough experts to form a recognizable splinter group. A think tank perhaps?
A watchdog?

Several have said "so what?" "Why not just check your pilot?"

Try producing 75 performances per year? Then you will know.
Try producing one 500-way performance.
Then 500 of us will know. Today it seems, only me and a bunch of aviators who fly at big events can see how blind your leadership stubbornly insists on remaining.

Something is really wrong here.

I have staged one for entertainment using grown-up straight-from-the-packing-area get-down-and-get-nasty call-a-spade-a-spade language. It is language we would scarcely notice with more than a guffaw on the DZ.

...perhaps you can post as an attachment one of the e-mails you sent so everyone can better understand what you wrote and if it was, for example, threatening in any way.