nocivus

Logging your jump events

Hi all,

Ever since I started skydiving I felt that there should be a way to share my jump events with my friends, if anything to compare progression and attach videos and photos to my jumps. In a sentence, to keep it all neatly organized in one spot I could point my friends to.

The problem was that I never found that place. So I decided to build my own.

I would like to ask anyone who might have interest in keeping an online jump log to take a look at http://jumperr.com and hopefully contribute with some suggestions on how to improve it. You can take a look at my profile here: http://jumperr.com/profiles/nocivus/ (To actually check my jump log you need to be registered, but that only takes 2 minutes anyways :)).

Thanks and blue skies!

Pedro

I would like to ask anyone who might have interest in keeping an online jump log to take a look at http://jumperr.com and hopefully contribute with some suggestions on how to improve it. You can take a look at my profile here: http://jumperr.com/profiles/nocivus/ (To actually check my jump log you need to be registered, but that only takes 2 minutes anyways :)).

Clicky!

I saw jumplog.net but to be honest I found it to be too, I don't know, techie :)

I really would love a simpler way to keep track of my jumps, hence developing jumperr :)

Maybe I should look into getting data from skydiving devices directly into the website, that would be cool. Thanks for the inherent suggestion ;)

Blue skies.

I'm wondering where the suggested dropzones on the first page comes from. I'm assuming you're using my IP address to determine my approximate location and then listing dropzones that are close to that location. I would suggest that you display the apparent location on the page, though - something like "You appear to be located in Toronto, Ontario. The closest dropzones to you are:" Location information obtained from an IP address may not always be accurate, especially if someone is connected via a corporate network or VPN connection.

I'm assuming that you got the location information for dropzones from the dropzone database here? I was initially curious why Frontier Skydivers showed up as being close to Toronto when Skydive Burnaby didn't (or Niagara Skydive for that matter), since they are closer than Frontier, but I'm guessing it's because you don't have the location information. I've contacted the DZO at Burnaby to suggest that they update their listing, however, in the meantime, if you wanted to update your own database, Burnaby's location information is 42.877088, -79.35505. That said, Niagara Skydive do have their location listed on DZ.com, so not sure why they didn't show up. Other possible reason might be straight line distance to Frontier is shorter, but there's that big lake in the way which makes Frontier a longer drive than either Burnaby or Niagara.

Edit: I just noticed why Niagara Skydive doesn't show up. It looks like they've entered their longitude incorrectly (positive rather than negtive) so they show up as somewhere in central asia...

I was unable to log in using OpenID. I entered my openID username and got Error Using OpenID. The OpenID was invalid. I am currently logged in to OpenID. Also note that I created the OpenID about 5 minutes before going to your website, so not sure if that may be a factor.

Thanks a lot for your help, brettski74. I will for sure update the DZs you mentioned and that one sentence in the homepage will definitely help to clear some confusion about the location (yes, I'm using IP information, currently, but planning on eventually also using the new location APIs that some browsers already implement).

Again, thanks for the input :)

I'm using a Python-based web framework called Django. It's pretty awesome for rapid development :)

Thanks, but I have to say that a weight belt helped me a bit. I was having a little trouble arching in the beginning. The parachute felt like a gigantic rock on my back (it was a 270 canopy after all and I'm skinny ;)).