hoss

Good DZs in Houston, Tx

Hi all,

I'm going to be traveling to Houston, Tx around Dec. 10th and I would like to do a couple of jumps down there as well as take my friend for her first tandem jump. I live in the Seattle area and the weather here is spotty at best that time of year. Is Houston weather usually jumpable early December? Also, can anyone recommend a good DZ? I know that it's a matter of opinion but I need something to base my decision on.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also note, I did do a search but all the information was pretty dated.

Thanks,
Jason

What part of Houston will you be in? SD Houston is in Waller (north side) and SD Spaceland is in Rosharon (south side).

Both DZs are excellent with turbines and good instructors!

Also, if you're profile is correct and you're a student or unlicensed jumper, you will really want to contact both DZs and see what they want to do for you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also, if you're profile is correct and you're a student or unlicensed jumper, you will really want to contact both DZs and see what they want to do for you.

Yeah, I'm a student. I was hoping to get licensed before I go, but the weather up here (Seattle) has turned for the worse, so I don't see that happening.

I'll contact both places. Thanks everyone for the input!

Deffiantly contact spaceland... Im baised because its my home DZ, but its REALLY nice..

Also, they have the "license in a week" program.. you might be able to get your license while your here!

Hit me up on here if you choose spaceland... Ill show you around!

:)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Hi all,

I'm going to be traveling to Houston, Tx around Dec. 10th and I would like to do a couple of jumps down there as well as take my friend for her first tandem jump. I live in the Seattle area and the weather here is spotty at best that time of year. Is Houston weather usually jumpable early December? Also, can anyone recommend a good DZ? I know that it's a matter of opinion but I need something to base my decision on.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also note, I did do a search but all the information was pretty dated.

Thanks,
Jason

Spaceland has some new facilities that are pretty nice, but if you are looking to get licensed and/or fun jump, then I would suggest Waller. It is very common to go to Spaceland and be the only fun jumper there. Mostly a team/tandem operation for the most part. If you are finishing up your AFF both are good DZ's, but if you want to get the experience of shootin' the breeze after a day's jump with some good food/beer and have a butt ton of fun people to jump with from any discipline, then I would suggest skydive houston.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Dave's suggestion to check out what they want from students is best. Waller does have more of an after-jumping scene, but my last experience there was of being the only RW jumper who wasn't on a team. But that was that year, at Waller.

Those things go in cycles, at both DZs. At most DZs. With Nationals in Houston this year, there have been a lot of teams regardless. That should improve next year.

After you've gotten your A license, try both. For 5-10 jumps each -- one jump generally does not a DZ make.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's only Thursday morning. Put the beer down.

I'm training for 10-way -- starts Saturday. I have to be ready.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dave's suggestion to check out what they want from students is best. Waller does have more of an after-jumping scene, but my expelast rience there was of being the only RW jumper who wasn't on a team. But that was that year, at Waller.

Those things go in cycles, at both DZs. At most DZs. With Nationals in Houston this year, there have been a lot of teams regardless. That should improve next year.

After you've gotten your A license, try both. For 5-10 jumps each -- one jump generally does not a DZ make.

Wendy P.

I find that there are a lot of RW jumpers at every DZ in TX that I have visited. I am used to being in FL with all the freeflyers, so it took me some getting used to. Definitely a good mix at waller though. Simon Bones is up there organizing a lot of fun and crazy freefly stuff.

I agree with Wendy on the suggestion to go try them both out. When I moved to Houston two years ago I did exactly that, and after about 4 or 5 weekend trips out to Spaceland I realized I was not only the lonesome freeflyer, but I was also the lonesome fun jumper-- the only person not on a team or doing a student jump, and personally that's not too fun for me to go to a dz and not socialize or jump with other people. I live 20 mins from Spaceland and 1hr from Waller but I make the drive to Waller because there are people of all disciplines and skill levels to fun jump there on the weekend.

That's just my personal experience. Try them both out and see what kind of vibe you enjoy more. Good luck and have fun in Houston! B|
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

but my last experience there was of being the only RW jumper who wasn't on a team.

Was when I finally got to meet you your "last experience" at Waller? If so, there were quite a few non-team rw fun jumpers there at the time, including me!!!

To be fair, and I think y'all know I don't favor Spaceland over Waller ... when I've been down there, I have always found that there have been folks to jump with that were happy to include me even with my low #'s.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

It is very common to go to Spaceland and be the only fun jumper there. Mostly a team/tandem operation for the most part.

Maybe on the day you were there, but I've jumped at Spaceland for 10 years and find this to be the exception. I rarely have a problem finding others to jump with with most jumps being in the 4-way to 10-way range.

Spaceland has 5 Otters and 3 Caravans and keeps two aircraft on site at all times. Usually one Otter will be full of tandems and the other is full of fun jumpers.

The mix between belly flyers and freeflyers is pretty equal except this year due to the US Nationals whick will be over next week.

We welcome all fun jumpers including wingsuiters and swoopers.

Being the largest dropzone in Texas that is open everyday except Christmas and doing a lot of tandems daily does not mean we do not also cater to fun jumpers.

...and the airplanes are always flying at Spaceland.

Hope to see you at Spaceland someday.

Jim

Blue skies,

Jim

Spaceland has replied. They tell me the weather is usually jumpable in early Dec. and they're OK with me if I haven't gotten my A license by then. I haven't heard back from SD Houston yet. I'll email Waller tonight.

I'm looking forward to jumping from a new DZ and *really* looking forward to jumping from something bigger than a 206!

Here is my humble opinion. I have tried both Spaceland and Waller and prefer the jumping at Spaceland but the nightlife at waller. Spaceland does have some good parties on the weekend (sometimes); however, the people at Waller seem to stay more often for drinks and socializing which I wish Spaceland would do since they are my home DZ. I haven't really found that it is hard to find people to jump with, especially on the weekend. There is always someone trying to find people to do a SCR or just jump. The weekdays may be a little harder.

Another important thing to consider is gear rental. I recently downsized and hadn't purchased a new main yet. I went to Waller to do a jump once and did not have a rig because a student was jumping it all day. The only size available was WAY too big. Since Spaceland is bigger they have more choices. As a student though, it won't be a problem.

Another positive thing about Waller is the DZO. Todd Bell is one of the nicest, most sincerest men I have ever met. From the first time I met him he has made me feel at home at his DZ and always addresses me and asks me about a previous injury I sustained. He goes out of his way to make me feel welcome. That being said, the staff at Spaceland are awesome and I enjoy spending time with them even when not jumping.

Like everyone else, I say try both. I am available to jump with at Spaceland once you get your A license. If ever I get another main I will also be jumping at Waller some more to socialize some.

Brian

I want to jump from a 206!! :D

The otters are fun to jump out of.. especially when you can do different exits with people...

Spaceland is huge... get ready! :)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Waller does have more of an after-jumping scene

Which includes getting the shit kicked out of you by members of the staff.....No thanks. That's totally unacceptable for any reason whatsoever.

This sounds like fodder for some juicy internet gossip.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I have not posted in a LONG time, many months, but this thread was screaming for an answer from me.

While I only have 21 jumps to my credit, all of them have been at Spaceland and while I am not qualified to answer some points brought up by certain posts, I will say this, The student program at Spaceland is one of the best anywhere, imho, well planned course and curriculum, excellent instructors.

My own personal opinion is to do what others have suggested and make a visit to both Spaceland and Skydive Houston, hangout, ask questions, and then make up your mind. Thats exactly what I did before choosing Spaceland:)
Good luck in your skydiving endevour no matter which dz you choose.