kallend

JFTC - any news?

Well done to all involved, i'm sure they will all be partying soon!

Sitting in the Bombshelter now. Haven't seen too many of the ladies yet today.

Great party last night. Lots of pink jumpsuited ladies thrown in the pool prior to that. Result: very green pool this morning, you couldn't quite see the lettering on the bottom...

Found in the deep of the pool during the morning cleanup: a set of keys. Sunglasses. An iPhone, ouch. A Blackberry, ouch. Coins. A wallet. A pink feather boa. A sock. And it looks like a bikini top on the top of the shade sail.

A few sore heads this morning!

Another view of the opening celebrations... I'm looking for Aussies, and mainly my chick :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxx3fqYVgY

Fan-fucking-tasic ladies!!!!:)
I got goose bumps as soon as I found out and got even more when I found out how much money was raised (goose bumps while I'm sitting on a beach in Cabo where its so hot that breathing causes you to sweat). I'm so excited for all of you. Job well done!!!!!:)
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

That video is from 2005.

Opps. :P

Sparky

2005... 2009... Is so confusing for ol' Sparky, they both have 2's... and 0's... and another 0... in them.

:D

Anyway, I'm gald the gals got the record. I was following the news here on dropzone.com while I was at work this past Saturday... :(... made it kinda tolerable.

Found in the deep of the pool during the morning cleanup: a set of keys. Sunglasses. An iPhone, ouch. A Blackberry, ouch. Coins. A wallet. A pink feather boa. A sock. And it looks like a bikini top on the top of the shade sail.

I wondered where it ended up. Last time I saw it, it was around a brit chick's neck, going into the pool.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

What's with the 'permission to dock' crap?
Are we dumbing down jumpers that much now?

Hey Jan...

I was at Men's World Record, and they did a succesful 122-way Men's world record on the load right after the 181-way Women's world record. I'm the one who docks on cpoxon on the outer whacker at 6'o clock.

My personal feeling was that the 'permission to dock' system actually worked wonderfully on both the 181-way and the 122-way. (I did hear, however, from the horse's mouth, the 'permission to dock' system is a little less enforced for the final people in outer whackers in the last seconds of final skydives on final days -- when everyone was calmer, more trained, and that the final seconds of a skydive is a little more critical for the last people docking)

The 'permission to dock' system was a little bit annoying on the first or second jumps, but it forces people to avoid reaching for grips. They are using this new system for World Team 2010 and 2011.

Old big way grip-chasing system for whackers:
1. Grab the hand.
2. You destabilize the skydiver if they're not fully stabilized and you're not fully stabilized.

The new big way system for whackers is as follows:
1. Person who's flying to dock, presents fist below arm of docked person.
2. They grab you if you are stable and they are stable.

Why is this system used:
1. Person you are docking onto, gives thumbs up once they're already docked and stable. (forces already-docked skydiver to be stable first, and also signals the docking skydiver that it's okay to dock)
2. Docking person presents fist below the arm of the person whos alredy docked. (forces skydiver to fly to the grip, rather than reach for grip)
3. Docked person will grip you if they're flying stable and your fist is sufficiently steady.
4. They are allowed to let you go if you suddenly destabilize them (gives already-docked skydiver control; immediate automatic reprimand for skydiver who's docked)

Maybe to some perspective, it might be kind of a dumbing down, but it seemed effective in quickly training the grip-chasers. Bad progress? Good progress? I think it's good progress...

Also... I used my slowfaller jumpsuit with 3.5 pounds of lead in my slot. I did, however, force myself to use my fastfaller last-out on the practice 20-ways, because I wanted to challenge my fallrate range (I docked successfully on all Roger Ponce 20-way jumps). I judged that I needed to use my slowfaller for Men's World Record, however. I jumped from the last trail plane (slot F-16 of Men's World Record), and it was easy to fly to my slot in MWR 122-way in my slow faller without diving too steep that I might need to do so to compensate for the slowfallness of the jumpsuit - and the extra fallrate range allow me to lock into my slot better. First skydives, I used no weight with my slowfaller, and it was perfect. But as the 122-way started falling faster on the 3rd and 4th days I observed my slight floatiness, so I added a small amount of lead to reset myself back to the center of my fallrate range with the ability to adjust fallrate quickly, better being able to be firmer in my slot both vertically and horizontally. BJ Worth (sector leader!) happily agreed it was a great idea. Adding weight to be safer gear adjustment than switching jumpsuits mid-record-attempt. My standard for late-diving in big way outers is to default to my slowfaller for bigway outers. So far, I use my fastfaller about 70% of the time and slowfaller 30% of the time (though for MWR, I used it 100% of the time due to my outer slot on a far trail). I kept the wings collapsed though, to avoid floatiness when arms stretched, but know they are there when I do occasionally need them. For the upcoming 50-way sequentials during Halloween at Skydive San Marcos, I'll probably be using my fastfaller with weights the vast majority of time (except for complex slow-falling formations like large diamonds, etc) since I find the sequential invitationals to fall quite fast. And fastfaller with no weights in 4-way tunnel practice (several hours tunnel time booked in October and November)

I will definitely be applying to Perris 100-way again, but this time I'm going to request an inner slot (20 to 40th docking) to heavily challenge my red zone flying abilities. I've done it before in the heavy red zone clutter of a 50 through 70 way, but for 100 ways organizers love to assign me outer slots (I guess they've noticed I've been a very good outer flyer, also a large part thanks to your help too)

I informed the organizers I would be happy to be on the bench team of World Team 2010 if other people cancel their slot for financial reasons, but at only 515 jumps today, I clearly know I am a longshot... (2011 remains my primary goal, just the 2010 bench is a nice-to-have)

Congrats to all the girls -- and I contributed quite a bit to JFTC (directly and indirectly) -- congrats for the best-ever JFTC and it was my first experience watching a nearly 200-way in the sky!

Greetings
Some JFTC record videos are now posted on You Tube, not sure about MWR videos (Soon I hope).

The "permission to dock" is different than "presentation of grips". Both were tools used to train and (basically) slow down jumpers. Both were successful. Neither are remotely considered "dumbing down" as the final results prove. The record was built on the 6th attempt after all 181 jumpers were given permission to dock, the first after a minor change in the formation opened up some room between sectors.

Grips were presented to the spine of the helix. Some Sector captains required presentation throughout the sectors, others allowed conventional grips on the outer whackers.

We'll have total amounts raised eventually--but it will be a while before final accountings are done.

Thank you to all who made both JFTC and the accompanying MWR a fantastic success. We DID make a difference, and what we did WILL make a difference.

I'm on the way back to Denmark, I'll miss my skysisters and brothers, but know that you are close to me in spirit.

blue skies, pink suits
kate

Succeeding a 181-way after only 6 attempts, is incredible.

We all (MWR) took 13 attempts to do merely a 122-way. My sector (BJ Worth's) was complete all day long on the final two days while we waited for that magic moment that all sectors were complete simultaneously.

That said, you all did sector practice jumps on the days before the 180-way attempts, a luxury that that MWR team didn't have. Then again diving straight into a 120+ way attempt on the first jump of the first day, while exciting, more things simply were just bound to go wrong :-)

If 500 to 800 jump big way rookies with really good currency (especially bigway and tunnel too) can work well with the multi-thousand-jump skywonders, and can do it in just a few attempts, I think 500-way in 2011 is looking very realistic!

Meantime, I'm doing my best to eliminate the usual Canadian winter layover. And trying to keep my biggest and stupidest mess-ups in the tunnel and 4-way fun, and NOT in the current/upcoming planned biggies such as MWR, Texas Premier Invitational, Z-Team March 2010, etc...