IMALSUTIGERFAN

Who stole the cells?

PD Says on

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/choosing2.pdf

Seven or Nine
Most skydiving canopies used today are either seven- or nine-cell designs. Originally, nine-cell
canopies had several advantages over seven-cells. Nine-cells glided farther, and many jumpers
preferred the way they landed. Seven-cell canopies were generally more responsive in deep brakes, and
performed better when making sinking, accuracy-type approaches. Because they have fewer lines and
fewer ribs, seven-cells usually had lower pack volumes. Although seven-cells remained preferable for
CRW, accuracy, and as reserves, nine-cell mains quickly became popular with most skydivers.
In the 1990’s, a new generation of high performance seven-cells became available, and these
canopies soon regained their popularity. Newer seven-cells benefit from improved materials and
aerodynamics, and retain the advantages of traditional seven-cells while eliminating some of the
disadvantages. Some modern seven-cells glide farther than comparable nine-cells. Most nine-cells will
still level off or “swoop” farther when flared, but landings on some seven-cells can easily be just as soft.
Seven-cells still tend to pack smaller than nine-cells, and are more agile in deep brakes.
Deciding between a seven- or nine-cell canopy today is often just a matter of personal
preference. Some people still prefer the way nine-cells perform, while jumpers who occasionally make
demonstration or CRW jumps might prefer seven-cells. The mellow opening characteristics of some
seven-cells have made them popular with camera and wing-suit flyers.

I jump a Spectre 190 loaded at 1.1:1. I've been jumping it since jump #27, and I'm still not even close to bored with it.

It's very agile, pretty snappy control inputs, and it has a powerful flare. In fact, I've even gotten some nice high performance landings out of it, with a respectable distance and speed.

It opens soft, and it's very forgiving when you need it to be, such as a downwind landing, or landing out on a night jump.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

What kind of seven cell is it? Triathlon? Spectre?

Read the reviews here on those canopies, lots of people are happy with them, and they are suitable for beginners when lightly wingloaded.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I know this is an honest newbie question and I shouldn't laugh, but damn, you made me snarf my coffee! :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Explain to you? You're the guy who posted the info from the PD website.

They don't come right out and say it, but all of the 'improvements in materials and advancements in aerodynamics' that helped out the new breed of 7 cells, also helped the new breed of 9 cells.

With a higher aspect ratio, and generally thinner profile, the nine cell will produce more lift, and provide a better flare. Combine that with the fact that this is a newer jumper, and a bigger guy, the nine cell is the better choice.

Also, from the info you posted, the nine cell would be my 'personal preference'. Of course now I jump a Velo, which is really just the bastard child of a seven cell and a pile of extra ribs, but if I had to choose a 230 sq ft canopy to jump at 1 to 1, I'd go for a nine cell.

Explain to you?

Well, your explanation helped me understand why you recommended 9... However I would say that the number of cells is not as important as the design and fabric (ZP vs F111) of a canopy. A Storm, or even a Spectre are both sporty canopies I have seen swooped and landed at higher wingloadings without any problems. If a novice was going to get a good deal on a rig, I would not hesitate with them buying one of those. They have 7 cells....

I just think you are giving 7 cells a bad rap because most of the old school F111 7 cells suck, but the newest popular designs are great canopies for the average joe.

However I would say that the number of cells is not as important as the design and fabric

Well, I've always thought that the number of cells was part of the design, but that's just me. Fabric wise, nobody is talking F-111, so that's out.

I'm not giving 7 cells a bad rap, there are plenty of good 7s out there, but my feeling is that the 9 is the better choice.

My observation has been that the 9 is more forgiving of errors in the flare than the 7. You're more likely to pound in after a botched flare on a 7 then a 9, and for a newer guy, that's a factor.

Additionally, this guy is 200lbs+. I don't know what sort of shape he's in, but I do know that 200lbs+ pounding in creates a bigger divot then 170lbs.

It's along the same lines that bigger guys need to be careful with WL when they're downsizing. If you get alot of jumper going real fast, it's not that easy to stop it in a nice way.

So you take a newer jumper, who also may be a bigger guy, and you give him every advantage he can get, including a canopy with a more forgiving flare.

As far as the 'good deal' premise goes, it's only a good deal if it's the right canopy.

I know that modern 7s are good canopies. Many people jump them and are very happy, but my opinion remains that they are better suited to a more experienced jumper (as in, not their first rig).

Pd's own navigator happens to be a 9, and that's for the true novice (student), they could have made it any way they wanted, and the went with 9.

I got a Storm at the end of last year, and I am very, very happy with it. It gives repetitive good openings, feels very solid in flight and has a large amount of flare power. Loading is 1.1:1.

I have done a few jumps on a Sabre as well, but not enough to be able to make a decent comparison; they were also enjoyable jumps.
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Dude, they don't call us anvils for nothin! P/C doesn't exist here, or at pretty much any dropzone.:P

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I had a chance to jump the PD Storm this year. I was very impressed! It's a great CRW canopy if that's what your thinking. Soft openings, excellent flight charactoristics, powerful flair, soft landings. Although I demo'd it as a Crew canopy, IMHO, it would make a very good all around canopy. But, so would about 30 others. Do your homework and let us know which direction you take.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Do your homework and let us know which direction you take.

OK after doing some homework and riding a few differant canopy's I just bought my new rig, ended up with a wings container with a Spectra 7 cell 230. I really loved the soft openings of this unit. and I find the flare at landing great, nothing but tip toe landings with it.

Down in Baton Rouge and Gold Coast Skydiving in my home D.Z.

Then you should be asking J Mike what gear is best for you. He's probably watched you make most of your landings anyway.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"