jimmyh

The KEY to a "successful" DZ?

When & Where I first started SkyDiving, it was very cliquish. There were CRW Dogs-Free Flyers-Formation Divers-SkyBoard, swoopers, Fun jump SkyDivers......yada...yada...yada

It's hard to find your place at first. This "Vibe" thing is highly overrated. I think to have a harmoneous SkyDiving environment is for the egos to be left at home as they serve no useful purpose on any DZ. Good aicraft & pilots, laid back DZO, and everybody watching everybody else's back. Respect the landing pattern. Every dissipline should land in the proper areas.

If all of this is being done, you get your "successful DZ"
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

*Good atmosphere, friendly and helpful people even to complete strangers (egos begone)
*Good planes (14/15k feet alti)
*Variety (no only RW, only FF, only tandem etc...)
*Cheap or free and quality coaching (RW, FF, swooping etc...)
*Good weather
*Decently priced lift tickets
*Convenient location
*No stupid rules (last left hand turn, no bigger than 90 degree turns below 500ft etc...)
*Care (watch for each other every time)

Oh and did I say friendliness and helpfulness, even to complete strangers from the other side of the planet?

That's the only ones I can think of right now..

Goodluck :)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

harmony....

between the DZO and the staff.
between the staff and the pilots.
between the fun jumpers and the OTHER fun jumpers.
between the instructors and the students.

and..... an adherance to the BSRs and to good old plain common sense...

a nearby store/deli which makes killer subs ( if the Dz doesn't have a food concession) AND which has a HUGE cooler/refrigerator stocked with a variety of beers and soft drinks...IF they deliver.....even better...

have fun good luck

jimmyt

Take care of your students, they'll end up your most loyal jumpers.

Events can put a DZ on the map. ZHills/Sebastian always has boogies going on, beach jumps, drunken dodge ball. Palatka has their hog flop. Time your events so you're not competing with other boogies.

Keep jumpers informed. Mailing list, Facebook page with events going on. A good DZ is about a community so build that and the jumpers will keep coming back.

All of the above are good but student retention is most important. Growing your DZ means keeping students coming back. Only takes a couple of years to make a student into an up jumper.

"And it only takes three years to turn them into tandem instructors." said by a DZO.

What no hot tub?

I'm new to this but I would have to say I really like my DZ. Every is super friendly and every one supports every one. It's as if we are one big family and I really like that.

If the DZ is missing anything? Maybe a classroom or a large space with a large board and maybe a projector?
It could be used to tech students like me during AFF classes and opened up to the public to view various videos made by the video dudes and thus maybe generate more income?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hi jimmy,

An instructor that I've known for over 40 yrs, who has started & ran at least five dz's into the ground, once told me:

A dz is like a tavern, they all sell the same product. It is people & the atmosphere that keeps them coming back.

While he was a lousy DZO, I do agree,

JerryBaumchen