skyfiend

Different countries different rules.... Help needed

Here's the problem.....,..
>:(

In most countries you have to have 200 jumps to fly a wingsuit
in Sweden you have to have 500
i have already started jumping wingsuits but am a while away from 500 jumps and am wanting to jump my suit.
anyone got any suggestions???

Here's the problem.....,..
>:(

In most countries you have to have 200 jumps to fly a wingsuit
in Sweden you have to have 500
i have already started jumping wingsuits but am a while away from 500 jumps and am wanting to jump my suit.
anyone got any suggestions???

Norway has some nice cliffs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Most countries minimum jump number or currency number are to “Start or Begin Instruction”. For example, in the UK, the BPA guidelines begin with “Before attempting a wing suit jump, a skydiver should have a minimum of 500 freefall skydives or a minimum of 250 freefall skydives made within the past 18 months...”

This doesn’t directly address the possibility of you already knowing how to wingsuit safely. You can train in wingsuit flying in another country with lower jump number requirements. You may even be able to get your country’s wingsuit qualifications in another country. For example, someone with 350 jumps could learn to fly wingsuits in Spain, buy their own suit, do 100+ wingsuit jumps, even get the BPA WS1 & WS2 stickers for their license/logbook and still be under the initial minimum guidelines for beginning wingsuit training in the UK. However, I don’t believe any UK CCI would stop that person wingsuiting at their dropzone after discussion and proof of the above.

I would add that I’m not promoting skirting the rules and just getting by, but on an individual basis I’ve seen people with 300 jumps seem far safer/skilled than some others with 800-1000. For wingsuiting, I’d strongly suggest the training be done on a specific multiday course (like various wingsuit training camps) as opposed to intermitttent one-off training where you get some pointers and just go give it try. Remember, unlike FS or FF, no one can help you if something goes wrong.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Kinda like the camera thing. 200 jumps c license BS. I just bought a cookie helmet and as soon as my camera comes i'm jumping that SOB.
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

For example, in the UK, the BPA guidelines begin with “Before attempting a wing suit jump, a skydiver should have a minimum of 500 freefall skydives or a minimum of 250 freefall skydives made within the past 18 months...”

Not anymore they don't.

For example, someone with 350 jumps could learn to fly wingsuits in Spain, buy their own suit, do 100+ wingsuit jumps, even get the BPA WS1 & WS2 stickers for their license/logbook and still be under the initial minimum guidelines for beginning wingsuit training in the UK.

Actually, technically speaking, they couldn't. Meeting the minimum jump number requirements is a prerequisite for obtaining WS1 and 2.

For wingsuiting, I’d strongly suggest the training be done on a specific multiday course (like various wingsuit training camps) as opposed to intermitttent one-off training where you get some pointers and just go give it try.

Strongly suggest? That's overkill. Dedicating a decent wodge of time/jumps is the best way to get started in any discipline, no doubt, but it's certainly nowhere near neccesary. Learning to safely fly a wingsuit is actually really, really easy.

And for the OP - you have a logbook and a pen, don't you? Problem solved.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

in the SBF (swedish SIM) it says:
a wingsuit with fixed arms and legs you need 500 jumps.
if it does not have fixed arms/legs you need C-licence and 300 jumps.

can someone explain the difference?

the rules are exist to prevent deaths.
if foregin jumpers should jump with their rules, i would think some people would renew their licence in other countries.
in sweden we have a rule that you need 500 jumps to do a hookturn (600 on our DZ), if some 50 jump foregin wonder would come here and jump on their rules, do a 360 and bounce.
ok the moron only hurt himself but there would be a big investigation, and the general public would question what we are doing.

but on the other hand i dont think we can/should force foregin jumpers to follow our canopy size rules.

in the SBF (swedish SIM) it says:
a wingsuit with fixed arms and legs you need 500 jumps.
if it does not have fixed arms/legs you need C-licence and 300 jumps.

can someone explain the difference?

Uhm, fixed arms and legs? :S

While I do not agree with a blanket 500 jump rule (I think it's overkill, though I would treat any rule as a minimum and evaluate any student individually additionally) I will not advocate in a public forum breaking the rules. Any rules. They were written in blood, you may not agree with them but I think it's important to respect them. Take your lumps, it builds character.

In private conversation, I might agree to break the rules and face the consequences. But I would consider it advisable to find a way to break the rules that does not scream to every new student it's OK to break the rules as long as you get away with it.

So please announce on the DZ speaker you're going to break the rules by jumping a wingsuit before having 500 jumps, accept the immediate grounding, then silently make for Empuria. Be an example! :P
Johan.
I am. I think.

Learning to safely fly a wingsuit is actually really, really easy.

No, it's not..
Yes it is, Ask Sangi !
OK.

Sangi, please explain to me how learning to safely fly a wingsuit is really, really easy.

(popcorn, anyone? :))

OP, you get the point, I think.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Kinda like the camera thing. 200 jumps c license BS. I just bought a cookie helmet and as soon as my camera comes i'm jumping that SOB.

Cookie gear is very expensive, you should have put that towards jumps at this point in time.

All your jumps coming up you need strong focus, you got lots of skills to learn... whether it's learning the ropes of RW, learning to sit-fly, going on tracking dives etc. you can't truely focus on building these core skills while trying to obtain video footage.

I've just gone through this stage, RW is hard, learning to FF is hard, your video is going to be terrible and you won't be focused on building these fundamental skills... not to mention the real danger of jumping camera too early.

thats why im asking :P
it sounds odd to me too.

could be my translation that made it unlear.
if i should translate it word by word, it wont be much clearer.
the text uses the word locked, but i sure hope you dont have a lock as keylock on your wingsuit, so my guess is they mean fixed, as it does not have a cutsystem perhaps?
could that be it?
i have very litle knowledge about wingsuits, so dont ask me :D

thats why im asking :P
it sounds odd to me too.

could be my translation that made it unlear.
if i should translate it word by word, it wont be much clearer.
the text uses the word locked, but i sure hope you dont have a lock as keylock on your wingsuit, so my guess is they mean fixed, as it does not have a cutsystem perhaps?
could that be it?
i have very litle knowledge about wingsuits, so dont ask me :D
There are wingsuits which do not prevent you from reaching your toggles after opening. They may have armwings whch are not completely attached to the body, but that question would be more suited to the wingsuit forum I guess.

Some of the problems with flying a wingsuit are navigation, unzipping after opening because you can't reach your toggles without unzipping, and recovering from instability. Unzipping IMO is not even the biggest problem, so I do not agree with your rules. I would suggest at least 500 jumps for any wingsuit jump in Sweden, and at least 300 elsewhere :P (but maybe more - read my earlier post).
Johan.
I am. I think.

I will not advocate in a public forum breaking the rules. Any rules. They were written in blood,

Not this one.

http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/Detailed/297.shtml
http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/Detailed/410.shtml

Those two, at least, would have benefited from gaining more experience before donning a wingsuit.

If you disagree with that, kindly invite me to your planet. It must be a nice place. But a long way from this Earth.
Johan.
I am. I think.