Question_Mark

Should You Get A World Record for Nothing?

So apparently a 4 way CRW record was set at this year's USPA National Championships. Awesome. Nice job team.

Well, turns out that the "team" included an alternate who was not checked in, and physically was not on the dropzone during the entire event where the record was set. By not checked in, it means this person never showed a repack card, ID, USPA card, or filled out a waiver for the Nationals.

Now this team argues that this person should have their name included on the world record because of the simple fact that they'd paid for the event online and were listed on the team. Don't forget, this person was not present and not on the jump when the record was set.

Should this not checked in, not on the dropzone, not on the jump person be awarded a world record?

If you think the rules say "yes", do you think that's right?

As I recall, no one on the bench has ever gotten listed on FAI world records, even though they were part of the overall "team" that sought the record, even if they jumped on non-record attempts during the "team" effort, so i don't think their request will get much traction with the FAI... though it may elicit a few chuckles.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

I don't think that the alternate would be listed on a World Record. The World Record folks would be the ones who actually performed the feat.

USPA National Championships, however, are a different story. The alternate is part of the team, and as such, is awarded a medal for the team's performance. It's actually possible for a team to turn in a world record jump in one round of competition, and still not place in the competition. This is unlikely, but possible. Every year, dozens of Alternates get medals in events that they did not jump in. An alternate's job is to be there if needed. They get a medal whether they jump or not. It's rare that an alternate who is not even at the competition receives a medal, but it has happened. This is certainly not limited to CRW.

Kevin K.