DigitalDave

Wearing a suit or not ?

Gloves every time now.

I'd like to wear gloves but I'm concerned about not being able to feel the hackey well enough. I haven't researched it yet, but I'm guessing there are some very thin polypropylene or goretex gloves that don't inhibit movement or tactile sensations too much.

Anyone got a particular glove they can recommend ?

Gloves every time now.

I'd like to wear gloves but I'm concerned about not being able to feel the hackey well enough. I haven't researched it yet, but I'm guessing there are some very thin polypropylene or goretex gloves that don't inhibit movement or tactile sensations too much.

Anyone got a particular glove they can recommend ?

Been discussed a lot of times.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=gloves&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50

I use gloves year-round. I just bought a nice lighter-weight pair from Under Armour that I'll wear year-round, and I have a pair of ice climbing gloves that I got at REI that I'll wear when it's colder (similar to the ones linked below though the styling looks like it's changed a bit since I got them 4 years ago).

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/search/results/pid1202496-Men-s-Pursuit-Glove/1202496-001

http://www.rei.com/product/787063

I've found I prefer them to be tight enough to stay on securely without any bagginess (which means I might wear a smaller size than I would for gloves that I wear for everyday use). Also, velcro or some other closure at the wrist really helps - I made that mistake once and bought a pair that just had elastic at the wrist and tried tucking them under my jumpsuit wrist - sure enough, the gloves were slipping down my hand. I was able to pull them back on (noticed it very early in the skydive) but I'd really hate to be dealing with flapping fabric at pull time. Those got retired immediately.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I find that I don't care to wear a jumpsuit. I prefer short sleeves in freefall.

I also don't care to wear one. ;) Don't need the short sleeves either. No problem with material getting in front of the handles.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I find that I don't care to wear a jumpsuit. I prefer short sleeves in freefall.

I also don't care to wear one. ;) Don't need the short sleeves either. No problem with material getting in front of the handles.

In the cold at altitude, you shouldn't have a flapping problem, either.

I'm not a skygod, but at 12 jumps i knew that wearing a suit was a good idea for a lot more reasons than getting scraped up.

And seriously, if he can't figure out after 12 jumps what type of things can go wrong with street clothes in freefall, then yea, he probably learns things the hard way.

Sarcasm can be a good learning tool for those who just don't get it the first time around.

I'm not a skygod, but at 12 jumps i knew that wearing a suit was a good idea for a lot more reasons than getting scraped up.

And seriously, if he can't figure out after 12 jumps what type of things can go wrong with street clothes in freefall, then yea, he probably learns things the hard way.

Sarcasm can be a good learning tool for those who just don't get it the first time around.

Sarcasm may be a good learning tool but your post had nothing written to learn from.

Don't wear a suit.

You apparently need to learn things the hard way.

Where was the lesson?

Yep, no skygod attitude there. :S As you have stated, at 12 jumps everyone should know ever reason to wear a jump suit like you apparently did. Give me a break! I'm sure everything you know you just knew. You never had to ask questions, right?

Lighten up Francis.

See if we hadn't tempted you with beer you wouldnt have lost the chunk out of your ankle, and if you and I werent 6 foot too much you wouldnt have become step meat on that dive, hahaha, But yes a suite does help save your ass when it comes to hard things and skin, Oh and it was your fault the jump went wrong when your arm got banged up hahaha
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

If you are wearing a Tshirt or something.. tuck it in.. belt it down, whatever you gotta do to keep it in place.... imagine reaching back for your hackey and it not being there because your shirt is covering it, or your shirt came up and is covering your handles. Only time I don't wear a jumpsuit is on high altitude hop and pops. If you want to jump without a suit try this:

Get a package of tshirts or whatever.. cheap ones.. at the bottom of the shirt cut 2 holes in the front and 2 in the back.. about the size of a quarter.. then run a belt or drawstring through the holes and the belt loops on your pants / shorts. That is what I did and it works...
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Get a package of tshirts or whatever.. cheap ones.. at the bottom of the shirt cut 2 holes in the front and 2 in the back.. about the size of a quarter.. then run a belt or drawstring through the holes and the belt loops on your pants / shorts. That is what I did and it works...

That seems like a lot of work to avoid wearing a jumpsuit. There are many legitimate reasons for wearing one that have already been mentioned. Legitimate reasons for not wearing a jumpsuit are more difficult to find.

I've jumped without a suit before and ended up pulling my shirt down under canopy. Not a great idea. Not quite as bad an idea as jumping with a grass skirt which I saw this summer. At least he found the freebag after it was all over.

-Michael

Seems a little overkill...

I tuck my shirt into my pants before putting the rig on and have never had it come out; even sit flying.

I rarely wear a suit.

Overkill? If you have your mind made up you dont want to wear a jumpsuit, do you really think there is such a thing as being too safe in the sport?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

The biggest problem I have with people who insist on not wearing suits is that they're usually 50 jump wonders who already know everything. They "don't need" suits because they want to "fly with their bodies". They haven't got a clue about the suit helping everyone else on the load fly so much better. You can't tell 'em a fuckin' thing either, because they aleady know it all. Then they flail around, go hundreds of feet low, ruin the dive for everyone else, and go totally missing at breakoff time, when everyone else is wondering where the hell they are and when they'll dump. I won't jump with people who pull that shit anymore. If you want to belly dive, get with the program and wear a fucking jump suit. That or go fear flying.....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !