tumbleroll

MALFUNCTION: what would you do if...?

. your instructor gave you sound advice.
If you follow his/her advice, you will live longer.

I disagree. 1500 ft at terminal, waiting 2-3 seconds is a terrible idea. Pull now, period. Don't turn, don't track. Main or reserve, PULL SOMETHING!
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

. your instructor gave you sound advice.
If you follow his/her advice, you will live longer.

I disagree. 1500 ft at terminal, waiting 2-3 seconds is a terrible idea. Pull now, period. Don't turn, don't track. Main or reserve, PULL SOMETHING!

He didn't think much of this response! He said I'd have nowhere near enough time to track away from the group. He seemed to suggest that I should instead pull (the main!) straight away and deal with any consequences. Sounds crazy too me - a sure way of getting into a nasty mess!

This is what the OP said his instructor told him to do. I don’t see where he said anything about waiting at all.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

While we're on this subject, how many of you have experienced total malfunctions and had to pull silver at terminal. Well, consider this... have you ever practiced pulling the silver handle while falling flat and stable?

We all practice pulling our mains and using our bodies to compensate to remain stable, but have you ever done practice pulls for your reserve? Hmmm! Food for thought..........
B|B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

While we're on this subject, how many of you have experienced total malfunctions and had to pull silver at terminal. Well, consider this... have you ever practiced pulling the silver handle while falling flat and stable?

We all practice pulling our mains and using our bodies to compensate to remain stable, but have you ever done practice pulls for your reserve? Hmmm! Food for thought..........
B|B|

Me, for one. And yes.
Practiced this many times. First 14 times was before I got an A-license. Many times after.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You should discuss this scenario and your and his answers with your instructor. First of all think it over - why could your answer be a bad one and why you should do what he/she said. It is also interesting to think over how to "deal with any consequences". What can these be?
In many of the possible dangerous situations there can be more than one solution.
As for me I did go low (1600') once as a student and pulled my main. I was at terminal, solo, didn't have an audible and struggled stability problems. When I realized how low I got I did immediately what I was taught to do.
I sow two guys this year going too low and pulling their main. They both were solo jumpers. After pulling they AAD activated their reserve. It couldn't inflate (there was not enough airspeed), so they didn't have to deal with a two-out situation. Which may be worse is that a reserve opening into the opening main. That could cause an entanglement.
I'm not an instructor and I'm not quite sure if at 1500' in a 4-way it is better to pull your main or your reserve. What I'm sure about is that one has to make every effort to avoid such a situation.