tumbleroll

The 'fear' ...

The 'fear' ... does it ever go away or just it diminish into the background over time?

The first time I ever jumped (a tandem) I was absolutely terrified. I was 100% determined to see it through, but I was in an total stupor for the entire time - all the way and up and all the way down.

The next couple of jumps weren't much better, but the truth is, over the following months, as I continued to jump, the fear receded into the background - replaced by butterflies in the stomach, and eventually by a more subdued tingling anticipation.

Anyway, I took a month off jumping recently, and upon making my first descent after this layoff, I was suprised to find that I became quite nervous on the way up! This led me to wonder - all of those people who have made 100s and 1000s of jumps over many years, do they ever get pangs of fear? Or have they now conquered this primal (yet completely natural and understandable) emotion, and is this fear entirely gone and never to return?

Interested in views! :o

I was scared shitless for most of my first 70 or 80 jumps, but when I got to the door, I was fine. Still have some jitters an a jump that is new, bigger way, or after a layoff of more that a week or so. And still have a healthy respect for what can go wrong on each jump.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

The 'fear' ... does it ever go away or just it diminish into the background over time?

The first time I ever jumped (a tandem) I was absolutely terrified. I was 100% determined to see it through, but I was in an total stupor for the entire time - all the way and up and all the way down.

The next couple of jumps weren't much better, but the truth is, over the following months, as I continued to jump, the fear receded into the background - replaced by butterflies in the stomach, and eventually by a more subdued tingling anticipation.

Anyway, I took a month off jumping recently, and upon making my first descent after this layoff, I was suprised to find that I became quite nervous on the way up! This led me to wonder - all of those people who have made 100s and 1000s of jumps over many years, do they ever get pangs of fear? Or have they now conquered this primal (yet completely natural and understandable) emotion, and is this fear entirely gone and never to return?

Interested in views! :o

It's not "no fear", it's "know fear". Fear is good. Fear minimizes stupidity. At least it should.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I believe there are two types of fear

The first type, which is the type that you are speaking of is the good type of fear. The type of fear that puts knots and butterflies in your stomach on the way to the DZ and especially on the way to altitude. This is the type of fear that keeps you thinking. It keeps you from doing stupid things and most importantly it keeps you from being complacent. This fear WILL go away with time and currency. And this is the time to watch out for, because when this type of fear goes away you will become complacent. You’ll stop reviewing your EP’s. You’ll start doing things that you normally wouldn’t do. This is widely thought to be the most dangerous time in the sport and most people get there around 200-300 jumps or so.

The second type of fear is the type you get when something goes horribly wrong, and you either become paralyzed with fear or you can’t think rationally. This is very, very bad fear. This is when you need to use your EP’s that you’ve drilled into your head over the course of your skydiving career. I think some people don’t get this fear, but you never know until it happens to you. That’s the thrill of you first reserve ride if or when you get one. You never know when it’s coming.

What you're describing is very typical. As you've experienced first-hand, currency has a lot to do with settling down the butterflies (and lack of currency with an up-tick in anxiety). For most people, the more frequently you jump, the less pre-jump anxiety you tend to feel.

I just got my A license and have 28 jumps. I think the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life was make the second jump as the first one completely blew my mind.

On my 6th jump, I really contemplated whether or not skydiving was even "fun". I have to say that after about 12, I realized that I would have been upset my whole life if I hadn't pushed through it.

Nowadays, I am not really scared anymore but just plain excited. It's the only thing I can think of that is 100% pure fun. I am addicted and would sell my left testicle for a good complete rig. Anyone need some more balls?

I have seen that a jumper's fear can change over time and events. Usually it is just the way you describe including the spike after a period of not jumping.

I have seen one jumper who suddenly couldn't get back in the plane (despite >500 previous jumps). This jumper got over it with lots of support and is back having fun in the air.

I have seen folks change based on bad (or at least scary) episodes on jumps. I know of one jumper who has completely stopped following a very scary episode.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Interested in views!

Here's my take:

Fear is nothing to be afraid of...B|...use it as a motivational tool.

Primal fear - that regarding imminent danger of death, triggers the flight or flight response ~the stay alive so you can fuck thing, it's how we keep from becoming extinct.

Primal fear usually, is what you feel right before you go in...;)

The type of fear we deal with most often today, is in fact the fear of the unknown.

You were afraid when you first started riding a bike, driving a car, dating a girl/boy etc. ~and all that went away as you became confident in your abilities...changed the unknown to a known.

The best way to deal with that in this instance, is to become extremely confident is yourself and your gear.

Know your procedures inside and out...KNOW what to do in every eventuality, and practice procedural reaction until it actually becomes second nature.

Understand your equipment...it's a basic thing that more and more I see put on the back burner.

Once you completely understand how & why a parachute system works, you have a whole lot more confidence in what to do and why...if it doesn't work.

The more informed you are, the more 'resources' you have to draw on...the more organized you are in you thought processes.

The more organized you are in your thought processes for a given task or set of tasks....the more confident you are in your ability to see them through.

And of course currency is important, it's the continuing confirmation of your abilities...the confidence. ~(seeing a pattern here?)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I believe there are two types of fear.

Oh, there are lots more ways than that to have fear. There's deep fried fear, BBQ fear, fear creole, coconut crusted fear, fear scampi, fear cocktail, fear salad, stuffed fear, fear alfredo, . . .
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I had 35 jumps before I got pregnant, so then I took a break from skydiving, I still went to the dz all the time throughout my pregnancy just to stay connected to the sport I love. But the fear that came with that first re-currency jump after the little one was born was almost as intense as my aff level one fear. After a couple of jumps that cotton mouth fear began to fade into the background again. Recently I jumped at a different dropzone out of a little bity c182 with rental gear that I wasn't as familiar with, and that intense fear/anxiety once again made its appearance known...but a couple jumps later and I was fine once again.

My girlfriend is still doing her static line progression and mentioned how scared she was on the way to altitude, I told her that I think in this sport there is a healthy fear which breeds respect and therefore safety.

Plus, that fear is what makes that adrenaline start pumping!
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen