surfrgrl1

Horseshoe from Blown Toggle

I’m not usually one to post online, but I had an experience a few weeks back that I was convinced by a few friends might be important to share.

Until a few weeks ago I never really appreciated the seriousness of blown riser covers and/or toggles in freefall. I always knew it meant openings were no fun, especially with a katana, but I never understood the gravity of it.

I would get the occasional blown riser cover in freefall, but it was never frequent enough to really warrant me urgently looking for a new container. I’ve put 900+ jumps on my very freefly-friendly container and I was already looking into getting a new one this season. Over the last few months, the blown riser covers had become more frequent. I had 3 over a 2 month span which resulted in a toggle out in freefall and fun openings.

On the 4th blown riser cover, things didn’t go so well. On the jump, I was head-down, so the blown toggle traveled down. It made its way back to the point where I felt it whipping against the back of my knee while I was tracking away. I pitched and immediately felt my pilot chute get sinched off (mesh side up) by the whipping/lassoing toggle behind my back (see attached frame grab). I knew there wasn’t much I could do, so I cutaway. However, there wasn’t enough drag to dislodge the 3rings and pull everything away from me. At this point, I also felt the pin had been extracted, as I felt the bag was out of the container. I started manually yanking at risers to disconnect. After a few tries, I was getting pretty low so I opted to fire the reserve. I was expecting to see an entanglement and was very relieved to see the reserve opening clean, although the main d-bag had left with the extracting reserve. When I looked at the reserve opening frame x frame in the video it appears I was extremely lucky.

Anyhow, if this convinces anyone to replace a container that is getting too broken in or to just be more careful in general, then it served it’s purpose. A horseshoe was definitely not the worst I imagined could happen from a blown toggle, and I hope it helps others realize the importance of having solid riser covers. I’ve personally seen toggles out in freefall at least a dozen times on other people on a wide variety of container types and sizes, and on all of the standard freefly specific rigs, so this is not something that is container-specific. I just wanted to make people aware that this is a possibility.

And one more thing - I want to thank my rigger for giving me one of the most beautiful reserve openings I’ve ever seen!

I had a riser cover open on me a few weeks ago in the middle of a freefly comp. My jump buddy and I simultaneously decided the jump was over, as my risers were traveling down my shoulder (we were HD). Flipped to a sit, put it back where it should be, and pitched a bit higher than normal just in case. Everything worked out, but it was definitely a new one for me. Might be time to have the rigger replace the covers just in case.

That pic made me shudder. Ick.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Thank you for posting about that!

I hope that you, and everyone else that reads about this, realizes that these things happen not because of riser covers coming open, but because of toggles becoming unstowed. If toggles remain stowed, having a riser cover come open will usually not cause any problem at all!

Relying on a riser cover to solve a toggle stowage problem is not a good idea. Relying on a rig to be "freefly friendly" is not either, because most people don't think about the toggle/riser systems when calling a rig that.

Many toggle/riser systems just don't work. (Oh, and do I need to say anything about excess steering line stowage?)

I would get the occasional blown riser cover in freefall, but it was never frequent enough to really warrant me urgently looking for a new container... Over the last few months, the blown riser covers had become more frequent. I had 3 over a 2 month span which resulted in a toggle out in freefall and fun openings. On the 4th blown riser cover, things didn’t go so well...

And what might we learn from this?

Don't ignore things that aren't correct!

Explain to knowledgeable people what is happening, and seek information and advice. Then do something about it!

Were these riser covers held shut by velcro? Stiffened tabs?
What holds the toggles to the risers? Velcro? Snaps? Elastic?
How is the loose steering line stowed at the riser?

It looks like some simple, cheap preventive maintenance, could have kept you from experiencing this frightening malfunction. You probably don't need a whole new rig. But you do need a new mindset.

I'm glad you survived it.

Riser covers held shut by stiffened tabs.

New Risers (100-150 jumps on them, purchased brand new from rig manufacturer less than a year ago), toggles held by elastic top and tuck-tab bottom.

Excess brakeline stowage could be designed better (it is a loose ribbon on the back of the riser) and generally upon opening it is flapping in the breeze. I discussed my concern w/ manufacturer before I purchased the new risers and they said they never had a problem w/ this method of stowage. My last set of risers did not have excess brakeline stowage and I had sewn elastic keepers on the back of the risers and did not have a problem with the excess brakeline coming loose on openings.

...generally upon opening it [excess brake line] is flapping in the breeze. I discussed my concern w/ manufacturer before I purchased the new risers and they said they never had a problem w/ this method of stowage. My last set of risers did not have excess brakeline stowage and I had sewn elastic keepers on the back of the risers and did not have a problem with the excess brakeline coming loose on openings.

So your aftermarket method was better than the manufacturer's. That is not surprising. Good job on your (or your rigger's) design.

Hopefully everyone is reading and learning from this. Again, thank you for your posting and answers.

I have had toggles out in freefall many times, but they were all 12 or 14 years ago when the term 'freefly friendly' didn't exist, and almost everything was held together by velcro.

The obvious solution is not to ignore gear problems. If something happens once, that's fine. If it happens twice, you should look into it. Three times is a serious problem that needs to be resolved before you jump the rig again. Knowingly going in to freefall, especially the higher speeds of freeflying, with a rig that has a track record of not performing properly is retarded. Mnay people don't like to think about this aspect, but freefly speeds are often in excess of the placarded deployment speeds on many canopies. An accidental deployment could really ruin your day.

That said, if you do have a toggle out in freefall, there are ways to mitigate the damage. For a left toggle, grab the thing before you dump. Hold it out to the side as the canopy sits you up, and try to hold it about shoulder level after that to simulate the brake setting for a clean deployment.

The right toggle is the real bitch. All you can do is be sure you are falling straight down, with no forward movement at all, and pitch the PC rearward as hard as you can. As for the deployment, just hope for the best.

These techniques are only to be used well above your hard deck. If you have a toggle out, deal with the problem immediately, as every foot of altitude is your friend. Of course this information is in no way a replacent for using the proper gear, maintaining is well, and not ingnoring anything odd that happens more than once.

The first revision of them didn't work so great, but they came out with a MOD for that version and revised them quite a bit since the first rigs were made with them. I have a rig with the first version and have not yet modded it (extra magnets) and my dz has rigs witht he newere version which I like much better.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

. For a left toggle, grab the thing before you dump.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment or concept, I wouldn't want to do it unless there was something I could easily see and grab.

I figure most of the time stuff would be whipping around somewhere above my shoulders or back, that I can't see well, so I'm not sticking a hand in to get wrapped up by spinning brake toggle and line -- especially when there's a good chance I'm going to have to jettison that canopy.

Over the last few months, the blown riser covers had become more frequent. I had 3 over a 2 month span which resulted in a toggle out in freefall and fun openings.

3? That boggles the mind. I would suggest that you change your priorities. It sounds as if your present priorities put you in great risk.
Take care,
space

If a "blown toggle" is your riser cover coming off and toggle coming undone and flapping around in the air with you, I'd sure as shit be calling up my rig manufacturer to have it fixed ASAP if that ever happened to me.

Properly functioning gear shouldn't be falling apart like that. This isn't the early 90's when gear wasn't designed for freeflying.

Damn. [:/]

I had two blown toggles in back to back jumps back in May. First one I didn't realize it and tried docking on a formation, second one I saw it and just stayed back. Managed to fix the issue after that.

While I knew the opening was gonna be funky and I'd be in a dive until I popped the other toggle, I never thought about PC or D-bag entanglement. :(

I'll save ya'll the trouble. :P

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Just curious about magnetic riser covers. Do they work that well? Anyone have them? Are they more likely to prevent this problem?

I have a new Vector container with mag riser covers, and I'll never get another container without them. This is my third container, the Vector 2 I originally owned had velcro, and it worked OK. The Voodoo I had after that had stiff riser covers, and they were ALWAYS coming undone. Mag riser covers are the bomb.

Also, I have the Tru-lock toggles, and I think that would have also prevented the problem that the original poster described. USPA just sent out an email about two new incidents of this type - I suppose that the OP was one of those incidents. But I'm glad she posted anyway, because that picture is awesome!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Just curious about magnetic riser covers. Do they work that well? Anyone have them? Are they more likely to prevent this problem?

I have a new Vector container with mag riser covers, and I'll never get another container without them. This is my third container, the Vector 2 I originally owned had velcro, and it worked OK. The Voodoo I had after that had stiff riser covers, and they were ALWAYS coming undone. Mag riser covers are the bomb.

Also, I have the Tru-lock toggles, and I think that would have also prevented the problem that the original poster described. USPA just sent out an email about two new incidents of this type - I suppose that the OP was one of those incidents. But I'm glad she posted anyway, because that picture is awesome!

I just bought a used vector 2 as my first rig. The velcro seems pretty good. The student rigs I was using had worn out velcro that opened way too often. There were a few student rigs with tuck tabs, but they come open too. It seems to be the concensus that as long as you keep the velcro fresh, it'll hold pretty darn good on a vector 2.

This rig is a “top tier” freefly rig manufactured in the last 7-8 years. I want to stress that I have seen over a dozen toggles out in freefall on just about every single “freefly” specific rig on the market. Rigs that are all considered “synonymous” with freeflying and specifically designed for it. Rigs probably just like yours.

Believe me, if I had even remotely thought that this could have happened from a blown toggle, I would have rectified the situation IMMEDIATELY, meaning grounded the rig until I had fixed it.

However, as I believe, and so do many other people who have contacted me since this incident, that we all tolerate things that aren't necessarily perfect with our gear. And that level of tolerance really depends on where we are with experience, how much $ and time we have, and where we weigh out the risk / reward. I’ve seen people freefly in rigs with a lot more imminent dangers than riser covers that blow.

Yes, this isn't the 1990's anymore, and fortunately we do have better gear. But let's be honest, we're still not perfect. If we were, companies wouldn't have to come up with new and different ways of covering risers in freefall (magnetic riser covers) and they wouldn't have to modify them when they did. Riser covers can blow. No matter how well you maintain your rig or how new your rig is. It can happen. And if the stars are aligned just right, this can happen too.

Many people have contacted me since the beginning of this saying that they had never considered this a possibility and since they have had similar problems, they can relate. I think this is worth quite a bit and I’m glad I wrote about it.

This thread has served its purpose for me. I wanted to ensure that nobody else would experience the same because they weren't informed this was a possibility. And I don't even mind taking heat and being called "retarded" and "daft" for what hindsight says should have been a no-brainer.

But let’s be honest. How many of you when you think “blown toggle” think horseshoe? How many of you even thought this was a possibility? I know I didn’t, but it sure does make sense after the fact. I’m just glad that I was able to think about it after the fact.

My only hope is that people understand now that this is a possibility, and they don’t go away from this thread thinking that it’s entirely a gear maintenance issue. Riser covers can blow no matter how well you maintain your gear. And if the stars are aligned just right this can happen the first time they blow. I consider myself on the moderate to moderate-high end of anal when it comes to gear maintenance. And I consider several of the other people who I’ve seen with toggles out in freefall to be equal or better.

I think if we’re aware as a community that this is a possibility, we can better prepare ourselves for the situation if we ever face it. But if we go away from reading this with the thought that “this can’t happen to me because..”, this thread is really a waste of bandwidth!

My suggestion based on my experience with this situation: deal with it immediately (which I did), try to manually extract risers post cutaway if they do not release (try twice as with everything else in skydiving), and as a last resort know where you must pull your reserve regardless of where you’re at with releasing the risers and pull it.

I hope that I have at least given the information needed so that we can better prepare as a community for this rare (but serious) malfunction.

Exactly what she has learned, and why she has posted. Hope that OTHERS now learn from her experience of it, and her consideration, willingness (and yes guts) to post about it, without now having to have their own as a result as well.

Those that want to LEARN from others experiences (and yes, even sometimes mistakes) - KUDOS to you!

Those that just want to pig-pile on with slings and arrows of critisism, in some cases just to "hear your own voice(s)" - well then, I think you already know where I'm heading with that. ;)

THANK YOU surfrgrl1 for having the consideration of your community in mind, and for having the GUTS to endure its sometimes callous and clearly UNTHINKING slings and arrows that pure plain & simple ol' "keyboard courage" (more like cowardice) emboldens some to sling.

Something GOOD to come from all this, is that I am absolutely SURE you have caused someone to think maybe even just a bit more about their gear, and hopefully as a result now, made a positive difference...

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Those that just want to pig-pile on with slings and arrows of critisism, in some cases just to "hear your own voice(s)" - well then, I think you already know where I'm heading with that. ;)

If that were the case, I'd let you slide, but it wasn't, so I won't.;)

I read her letter. I get that she finally figured it out. My comment was meant to stress that it shouldn't have taken a potentially fatal incident to teach that lesson. Her rig warned her repeatedly of the danger.

Any rig taken into a freefly environment must be absolutely bullet proof when it comes to staying together. It was one of the first things we learned about freeflying when it began, mostly by watching some really scary videos. My guess is she knew the importance of that each and every time it happened....and each and every time she got back on the plane with that rig - until she got spanked.

So no, my eloquent friend, I was not pig-piling or speaking to hear my own voice. Those horrible slings and arrows may just drive the point home to the next skydiver - when your rig speaks, you would do yourself favor to listen.

Nice writing, though. Poetic. Are you a Thespian by chance?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Are you a Thespian by chance?

No, I just play one on T.V. ;)

Actually Chuck - you are not one of the one's I was referring to as pig-piling on. Nor, speaking merely to hear your own "voice". Your points are well taken, and I think - even acknowledged even as well, by the O.P.

Lots of this thread, which no longer exists - has been thankfully since, chopped by some of the mods. Those in particular who are (or were) the offenders though, still know who they are. You know that you are not one of those. But thanks for playing! B| FWIW.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone