sasslife

Question for Canadian Jumpers

Hi,

I'm looking to relocate to Calgary in Canada some time next year. I know there are a few DZ’s there but what is the jumping scene actually like?

I couldn’t imagine they would be open over winter or anything else like that.

What DZ’s would you recommend?

I think all the DZ's in Alberta are shut down for the year. Around Calgary there are 3 DZ's, but I haven't jumped at any of them in a while so I'm not sure what the vibe is like.

There are a few Calgarians who make the drive up to Edmonton on a regular basis. Eden North is a great DZ just outside of Edmonton. They've got a Caravan for the jumping season (which ended yesterday there), a great crew of people and some of the best RW, Freefly and CReW people in Canada. Depending on what part of Calgary you're in, it's about a 4 hour drive.
I got nuthin

(Remi: I'm a little sensitive to that comment) :)

For Calgary, you have 4 to choose from;
Beisecker/Alberta Skydivers (182 & 205) not operational in the winter. Large UK military presence & influence. Approx 1 hour drive.

Innisfail/Skydive BigSky (182) not operational in the winter. Newest of the 4, but I hear it's a friendly place. Approx 2 hour drive.

Stony Plain/Eden North (Caravan/206/182) not operational in the winter. Largest of the group and best established with plenty of amenities and large core-group of jumpers with strong skills. Approx 3.5 hour drive.

Westlock/Edmonton Skydive (206/182) operates in the winter as weather allows. Approx 4.5 hour drive. Been a friendly group anytime I've been there.

British Columbia? It's a very large province with DZ's quite scattered. Be more specific about location, and I'll respond with some info.

John

South of Calgary there is also Vertical Extreme located in Vulcan (yes they do have a starship on a pedistal at the edge of town). Hutch is open in late April or early May with 2 182s.
Your best bet ;)is to visit us at Edmonton Skydivers starting in late March. We will be running a 182 on Steroids until late April when the King Air arrives.

Hi, hope you get some replies to your thread as I'm moving to Canada (somewhere in British Columbia) from the UK in April so want to know the exact same answers to your questions! :)

It depends what part of British Columbia you move to.
Half the population - of BC - lives in one valley, near Vancouver and that valley is served by two turbine DZs: Abbotsford and Pitt Meadows. "Abby" has a fleet of Cessnas and a Porter, while "Pitt" has a couple of Cessnas and flies a King Air on busier days.
Since I work at Pitt, I may be biased. For example, Pitt is closer to downtown (less than an hour off peak) and only twenty minutes from a commuter bus route.
If you move anywhere outside the lower mainland (aka. lower Fraser River Valley) you are limited to a few Cessna DZs that only operate on weekends: Prince George, Vernon, Kamloops and Whistler.

There are two civilian DZs on Vancouver Island: Victoria and Campbell River.

The jumping season in BC is longer than the rest of Canada, with some (eg. Pitt) remaining open weekends over the winter. While Pitt will be open "some weekends" over the winter, don't plan on doing any jumps during the Olympics because it is too close to the Olympic no-fly zone.