devarona

Making your own jump suit

For a basic, kinda baggy suit, you can use a pattern for a basic pair of coveralls. Add 3-4 inches to the inseam length (for blousing) and close the legs off at the ankle. Add an inch or two to the arm length and close off the wrists too. Use a heavy duty zipper and don't forget to add some way to secure the zipper when it's up. Take a look at other suits to see different ways to close the ankles and wrists and secure the zipper.

You could also "deconstruct" an older suit and use that as your pattern.

Supplex is a fairly popular fabric for freefly suits. The four ply will wear a bit better than the two ply. If you need a slower suit, you can use a medium weight polycotton, or use two layers of supplex.

Good luck!

I'm in the process of building a tighter fitting suit. I bought two patterns at seattle fabrics. The first one is Jalie #992 which is a speed ice-skater suit and I also bought DK #80 a skiing stretch suit. Both Patterns look like they will work; however I'm going to try to copy my Merlin suit first and see how that goes. If you want a fast suit use a nylon like rip-stop on the front chest and legs. If you want something a little slower, use your lyrcra or Spandura all around. Use some cordura for butt and knee re-enforcement. I'm not sure exactly how I will add grips, I'll just shoot from the hip.

I'm not sure exactly how I will add grips,

A solid foam piece will work for the inside. Cut it down to the size pieces you want the grips to be. Cover it with fabric before you attach it to the suit, leaving a couple inches of fabric on either side of the grip. Sew it down on both sides, as close to the foam piece as possible and again a half inch or so out. Binding tape works both as reinforcement and as a way to cover any rough edges. You might want to do a couple practice runs before attaching them to your suit, and it will be easier to attach them if you do it before you close the arms and legs.

Attaching grips to stretchy fabric doesn't work real well. Most RW suits have grips attached to whatever non-stretchy fabric the front and legs of the suit are made of. Some RW suits have non-stretchy material across the back of the shoulders because having spandex back there can affect the grips.

Other fabric options for a fast front on an RW suit include zp and nylon taffeta; IIRC the taffeta is cheaper than zp or F111, and it's likely to be available at a local fabric store too.

Thanx a lot! ive never sewn a button in my life so im probably gonna screw this up anyways... im gonna buy the cheapest sewing machine there is and order the fabrics online... either way, im trying to go around the expensive custom made suits out there...

Thanx a lot! ive never sewn a button in my life so im probably gonna screw this up anyways... im gonna buy the cheapest sewing machine there is and order the fabrics online... either way, im trying to go around the expensive custom made suits out there...

NOOOO!!!!

Don't buy a cheapie. The frustration will far outweigh the cost savings.

Getting a decent sewing machine will be one of the best investments you can make in this sport.

And a decent one won't have to be expensive either.

I was in the local St Vincent DePaul store a couple months ago and they had 6 or 8 that were all $25 each (including the table). I almost bought one just to get another table so I don't have to switch mine back and forth. Singer, Brother, Kenmore and others.
Put another 50-75 into a good clean/tune up and you'll be set.

And since you don't know how to sew, get some basic training.
The best way is to find a little old lady who has been sewing all her life and will be willing to give you a couple lessons in exchange for lunch (and listening to all her stories about her grandkids).

Yes, I am perfectly serious about the little old lady.:P
It's what I didB|

Edit to add: I should also mention that GoodWill and St Vinnies are great sources for super cheap fabric. You can buy sheets, or blankets or shirts or pants or whatever for next to nothing. Cut them up into what you need for fabric.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo