CobraRover

Nosebleeds whilst Skydiving...

Ive started getting nosebleeds after ive made a jump - when i say this, i dont mean i have blood pouring out of my nose, but after making a jump, every time i blow my nose for the next half an hour you can pretty much guarantee that there is gonna be blood in there! Can feel the pressure in the top of my nose when climbing to altitude.... quite curious to know if anyone else gets this or if im on my own here!

In my whole 22 years of living ive had about 2 nosebleeds.

The tip of my right thumb has also been numb for 4 days.

Stop masturbating and doing lines of coke. Should clear up in a few days.

I'm very anti drug. Never tried coke in my life and never will. I'll definitely take your advice on that first point though.

Can you clarify for me that that you provide this advice from first hand experience? Thanks

Can you clarify for me that that you provide this advice from first hand experience? Thanks

This is an internet forum...its good idea to remember that none of the advice here is from first hand knowledge. ;)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Ive started getting nosebleeds after ive made a jump - when i say this, i dont mean i have blood pouring out of my nose, but after making a jump, every time i blow my nose for the next half an hour you can pretty much guarantee that there is gonna be blood in there! Can feel the pressure in the top of my nose when climbing to altitude.... quite curious to know if anyone else gets this or if im on my own here!

The one time this happened to me was because I was skydiving while my sinuses weren't clear. I felt pressure in my head during the jump (first time that had happened), but I chalked it up to not having blown my nose, which I remedied after I landed. No blood.

I went up another time, and again felt pressure during the dive. And this time, I had blood in my phlegm. Lasted a week or two.

Now if I have a cold, I don't skydive. If I'm recovering or have even a little bit of a stuffy nose, I pop a Sudafed.

Do you feel pressure in your head during the jump? Or just on the climb to altitude?

The one time this happened to me was because I was skydiving while my sinuses weren't clear. I felt pressure in my head during the jump (first time that had happened), but I chalked it up to not having blown my nose, which I remedied after I landed. No blood.

I went up another time, and again felt pressure during the dive. And this time, I had blood in my phlegm. Lasted a week or two.

Now if I have a cold, I don't skydive. If I'm recovering or have even a little bit of a stuffy nose, I pop a Sudafed.

Do you feel pressure in your head during the jump? Or just on the climb to altitude?

Happened over the course of a few jumps in 2 days. I´m in good health, no cold whatsoever.

First day i was feeling no pressure on the climb to altitude, and the way down felt fine as well.

Second day (Today) i felt a lot of pressure round the top of my nose on the climb to altitude, and i was in some serious pain pressure wise in the head and ears on the way back down. From about 6,000 down to my pull altitude of 3,500 i must have had a face like a bulldog chewing on a wasp bearing the pain. Soon as i opened first thing i did was grab my nose and de-pressurise myself which made me feel a lot better lol.

I have bloody noses all the time, I have a vein super close to the surface skin in my nose. Usually get them in the winter/dryer months do to it being dry..

I've always wondered how bad it would suck to get a bloody nose under canopy or whatnot.. it happened once but luckily it must have stopped really quick, I only had a small speck of blood inside my Z1 visor.

I've thought about carrying a hankercheif with me, or possibly those cylinder shaped plugs that sports players use.. who knows

I have bloody noses all the time, I have a vein super close to the surface skin in my nose. Usually get them in the winter/dryer months do to it being dry..

Two comments:

1) If it's a dried out nose, try vaseline on a Q-tip and swab the inside of the nose. Keeps the tissue moisturized and then it won't bleed.

2) I had a severe nose bleed earlier this year. I consulted my ENT and he cauterized the offending surface blood vessel.

I used both methods and now, for the last 10 months, there have been no nose bleeds.

Hope this helps. Nose bleeds are nothing to sniff at. Get the problem fixed.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have had the same problem since I first started jumping. It happens on every other jump. Try not to release the pressure on the ride to altitude. It helps to keep the pressure the same as the ground since that's where you are going to finish your jump anyway.
Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

I've always wondered how bad it would suck to get a bloody nose under canopy or whatnot.. it happened once but luckily it must have stopped really quick, I only had a small speck of blood inside my Z1 visor.

About 6 years ago, I was doing a 2 way wingsuit jump and on jump run I got a bloody nose. I was wearing a Z1 helmet and decided to jump anyways. In freefall the blood pooled in the visor and was blown back into my face. By the time I pullled I could only see out of a silver dollar size portion of the visor. The liner around my mouth was so blood soaked that when I would try to breath in I mostly got blood. I spent most of the canopy flight almost choking on my blood.
I would highly suggest if you get a bloody nose prior to leaving the plane ride the plane down.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

In my whole 22 years of living ive had about 2 nosebleeds.

The tip of my right thumb has also been numb for 4 days.

I have had constant problems with nosebleeds my whole life.
They are not a big deal, when you get them in freefall, you clean off your goggles and face when your done, and go on with your life.
If they get to happen fairly often, you can look into getting the offending blood vessel cauterized. Your general practitioner should be able to help you with that.

As for the thumb issue. You think it is related to skydiving?

Nose bleeds can be caused by many things, dry and crusty, quick change from humid to dry, drugs, there are more that I can't think of. In your case what I am thinking is the change of altitude, the pressure that is built up when going to altitude and then changing altitude very quickly. Not sure though, I am not a doctor, nurse, EMT or anything that makes my name look fancy. I know that there are all of the above on this forum and could give you a great answer. My guess would be the pressure from going up and coming down very fast. Quick release of the pressure.
Stop looking at me

As for the thumb issue. You think it is related to skydiving?

Who knows, started off with pins and needles in my right hand under canopy. It´s still a little numb, but not that bad. I´ll leave it another 2 weeks and if it´s still the same i´ll go see a doctor.... im not really one to fuss, only been to the doctors about 4 times my whole life.

And to the person who said it could be when you de-pressurise on the way up, you may have a point with that one, think its only happened when ive done that :S

Cheers for the tips