dzfrog

"medical" question

I just got back from Iraq 2 weeks ago and did my CAT. C jump today(passed with no problems). Any this is my question. Everyone jump I've done, including my first tandem I'm fine during the ride to altitude, exiting the aircraft, frefalling. BUT, when the chute deploys and I'm under canopy, I get this really bad nauseated (sp) feeling and today I actually started seeing stars on the way down.
I've been told that it might be that my leg straps are too tight, cutting off blood flow, but was wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

BUT, when the chute deploys and I'm under canopy, I get this really bad nauseated (sp) feeling and today I actually started seeing stars on the way down.
I've been told that it might be that my leg straps are too tight, cutting off blood flow, but was wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

Certainly many have experienced something like that. Only hit me once, but I thought I was at risk of passing out due to it.

Does it come up immediately, or does it build up during canopy flight? Ask your instructors if you can shift the leg harness slightly after opening to more of a seated position. (And ask for other causes)

As your reserve side jump master on this latest jump, I'm sorry I wasn't told about this condition at the time, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it soon. I do recommend running the issue by your Doctor.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Okay, here's my 2 cents worth. I've heard of leg straps restricting blood flow, but the nausea doesn't really fit in with that. Like everybody else has said, the best idea would be to see a doctor about this before your next jump.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I know Im a baby in the sport, but Ive been there too. My first 6 jumps were rough. They were also during the winter, which Im sure didnt help any. But I was under a lot of stress at the time, and it basically made me bulimic (no i wasnt actually, I am a total foodie and very happy with my weight, I just couldnt keep food down). Anyways, I took a month or so off and got my health in order and finished AFF. I know military docs suck (I was dealing with Navy ones during that time), but some do know what theyre talking about. Its possible you just picked something up while you were deployed and need a bit more rest.

Edit to add: and by rough, Im referring to the vomicky/dizzy feeling under canopy.

I just got back from Iraq 2 weeks ago and did my CAT. C jump today(passed with no problems). Any this is my question. Everyone jump I've done, including my first tandem I'm fine during the ride to altitude, exiting the aircraft, frefalling. BUT, when the chute deploys and I'm under canopy, I get this really bad nauseated (sp) feeling and today I actually started seeing stars on the way down.

It could be a simple lack of hydration problem.
You need to drink LOTS of water, esp this time of year.
Nausea (and even dry heaves) is one symptom of dehydration. Headache is the next most common problem.
If it gets bad enough you'll faint.

Fluids such as soft drinks & coffee actually dehydrate you because of the caffeine.
You need water or a sports drink with good electrolytes and potassium.
You might even need salt supplements if your blood pressure is always really low.

Make sure you have enough 'rest time' after the dirt dive to take in some water and cool down before getting on the plane.
Too many places schedule it so that you are out there working away and sweating a bunch and scurry you away to the plane without any chance to replenish the water. (This happens on student status as well as big-way record dives. It always diminishes the performances.)

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hey Jp,
Didnt say anything because I'm usually good well before landing. Just happens right after I go from 120mph, to full canopy. But this last jump it lasted to whole way down. I'm planning on being out there next Weds. to do CAT. D1 jump. well talk then.

It could be a simple lack of hydration problem.
You need to drink LOTS of water, esp this time of year.
Nausea (and even dry heaves) is one symptom of dehydration. Headache is the next most common problem.
If it gets bad enough you'll faint.

Fluids such as soft drinks & coffee actually dehydrate you because of the caffeine.
You need water or a sports drink with good electrolytes and potassium.
You might even need salt supplements if your blood pressure is always really low.

Make sure you have enough 'rest time' after the dirt dive to take in some water and cool down before getting on the plane.
Too many places schedule it so that you are out there working away and sweating a bunch and scurry you away to the plane without any chance to replenish the water. (This happens on student status as well as big-way record dives. It always diminishes the performances.)

I have gone without beer for the last year and have been trying to make up for it.

I am very much a noob when it comes to skydiving, so I'm no real help in regards to the leg strap issue.

However, what you are describing is something similar that I went through a few years back where sudden changes in body position caused me to faint. Orthostatic hypotension is something you may be familiar with. If you lie on a couch and then jump up to, say, answer the phone, you might get black spots in your vision or briefly black out entirely. I'm unsure if you've ever fainted before (?) but seeing stars and feeling nauseated are all part of that. It sounds similar to my own hypotension issues which were easily remedied. Definitely see your doctor, posthaste!

And congrats on passing your jump!

I have gone without beer for the last year and have been trying to make up for it.

Being a soldier myself i would suggest: what did the medics say when you had your post deployment physical? they should have said if you have anything that may aid in this happening i know i have developed several medical problems from my trips to the box. also.....take a knee, face out, drink water. lol had to throw that in.

Being a soldier myself i would suggest: what did the medics say when you had your post deployment physical? they should have said if you have anything that may aid in this happening i know i have developed several medical problems from my trips to the box. also.....take a knee, face out, drink water. lol had to throw that in.

dont forget to take motrin... that fixes anything in the army
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message