freeflight

tehran dropzone?

Hi f-f,
Funny how not much has changed over there in 33 years, Skydiving wise anyhow!! 'Was there in '76 working for Leroy Grumman's Airplane Co. The Shah had a Royal Iranian Skydiving Club in Teharan but it was a very far cry from Skydive Perris!! All for show!! They had planes and rigs, and a "Club House" but skydives were few and very far between!! Myself and my wife Chris and Paul Ross and Lee Sewell from Bell Heli. fenagled a IIAF Huey to do a 4th of July demo for the Grumman-Bell 4th of july celib. in Isfahan in '76. We did several practice 4 ways till Paul tossed out his elbow on a bad ldg. Me, Chris and Lee did the demo. To this day I maintain that we hold the record for the largest freefall formation in Iran!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

You might well be right as civilian skydiving in Iran is few and far between. In 2005 I spent quite a while trying to make contact with any Iranian skydiver and eventually got to meet their FAI rep at his office in the Azadi stadium complex. To cut a long story short it seems that pretty much the only jumps they do are the odd demo and the occasional jump from a helicopter. General aviation in Iran is very restricted so there are very few aircraft to jump from. I was therefore surprised to see Dean at PA Aviation starting a DZ albeit one aimed at tandems and I really wished him well with his venture but nothing about the operation seems genuine or what it seems. The website doesn't feature any pictures taken in Iran and 'their' on the site clearly wasn't shot in the country. If a commercial business can't get of the ground then fun jumping isn't going to follow and your jump at Esfahan is likely to remain the largest formation for a while longer.