Kursk

Tips on how to finance Skydiving.

I found that having a job was the answer.

I didn't know you're a Republican ?! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Damn you Twardo you took the words right out of my mouth! Except I would have been warned and/or banned for it[:/]

To the OP dont go into debt for skydiving! Start saving and goto school. When you save enough for your A lic. then get your A. Then work through the rest.:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

My advice, if you have a job keep it, and if you in school stay in school, in the long run it will benefit you greatly and you'll jump more. Or if you don't have a job and are not going to school, learn how to pack and start packing best way to get money, i mean really, how else could a 17 year old like myself get enough money to get around 120 jumps over the summer and his own gear.

Okay so i caught the skydiving bug last month when I went for my first tandem jump at Skydive Arizona in Eloy,AZ. I want to go balls to the walls into this fantastic sport; however, it's not cheap to get into so I've been told. For my A-license alone it's going to cost about Four thousand dollars then you add in the rig which is another 5-6 thousand. So in total I'm assuming i need about 8-10 thousand to get into the sport completely. I would like to know what type of methods some of you used to finance. I was thinking about taking out a student loan because of the low interest rates. I have excellent credit last time i checked it was a 760 credit score. Sorry for rambling just looking for some tips thanks guys BLUE SKIES

Turst me. STAY IN SCHOOL. I am not going to lie. It's going to suck huge ones while you're there because you so badly want to skydive but you can't really afford to jump head deep all the way in to it. I tried off and on through school to put in a few jumps here or there to just barely stay current, but it's really not worth it. I still hung around the local dz a lot, and I am sure there was crap said a lot of times about hanging out and not jumping, but it was totally worth it to wait. Get out, get your degree, your grown up job, and then you'll have all the funds you need to get all your spiffy gear, travel, and jump wherever you want. You will be a comfortable weekend warrior instead of just working for jumps and living on the dz. (not that it's a horrible thing if that's what you choose to do).

I got the bug when I was still in high school and for a moment I seriously considered not going to college and instead living on the dz and working/jumping full time. 7 years later and now I am on the flip side and all I can say is that from my experience-- I'm glad I went to school.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Would you put your career on hold for the sport should have been my real question

NO!

I've been where you are.

1st jump 1 month into freshman year of college. First few years were slow jumping-wise and paid for by packing... it's harder to do that at Eloy vs. the smaller DZ where I was, but it can be done. Or, you can go to a smaller place for awhile where I guarantee you'll be able to supplement some income there if you have good work ethic.

Once I graduated, I hit it balls-to-the-wall. Definately the better way to go. If you delay the career, you will delay the jumping further later, when you're broke, rather than now.

I know it sucks, but nursing school will be over before you know it. I promise... I can relate more than you think, as I am in school again, for nursing (old career of engineering had good pay but horrible environment). I've had to put off jumping almost entirely for a year already and have a year to go yet, and it sucks a whole lot. but it'll end and I can go balls-to-the-wall again in 2011.

I know how much it sucks to not do everything you want right now, because in '05-'07 I was doing 200-300 jumps a year, on a good 4-way team, lots of tunnel camps, travel to boogies, nationals, upgraded gear, got coach and AFF ratings, and LOVED it... and now I'm stuck hardly jumping for 2 years and working/in school 7 days a week. but that will pass for me and it will pass for you. Get through school.

When you're done hopefully I'll see you at Eloy... I live in Tucson.

Blue Skies.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."