Eagleeye

# of jumps to become a paratrooper?

The jump school is 2-3 weeks and during the school a soldier will make 5 jumps. Normally a paratrooper will only make one jump a day but there can be exceptions. In order to stay current and recieve jump pay a soldier is supposed to jump at least once every 3 months. However a jump in January and a jump in June would meet the requirement.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

When I went through the Canadian Army Airborne Center - in the early 1981s, the Canadian Army required two weeks of push-ups and two days of jumping.
That normally included five or six static-line jumps from a CC-130 Hercules flying about 1,000 feet AGL. Only one jump was "bare." The second jump included rifle and snowshoes and all the rest of the jumps were done with rucksack, rifle and snowshoes. The rifle was a full-sized FN C1A1 (FAL in European parlance) firing full-sized 7.62 mm NATO ammunition).
Standards were similar when I went through the West German Army's Luftlande Lufttransporte Schule in 1986.

In the US.

Jump School is three weeks.
Week one is "Ground Week"
Week two is "Tower Week"
Week three is "Jump Week"

Att the end of the third week and your Five jumps your qualified. It used to be when you graduated you where a "Parachutist" and "Paratrooper" was a title left to those who actually trained to jump onto a battle field (SF, 75th RGR, 82nd ABN, the 173, the 509th, the 508th, 501st, etc), now all graduates are called "Paratrooper", a PC casualty of the early 90's.

Jump week usually goes day one 1 jump (Hollywood), day two 2 jumps (Combat Equipment one and Mass exit one), day three 2 jumps (mass exit one[smetimes wit hCombat Equipment] and one night with the whole package being the goal), day four chute shake out and clean up of TA's and day five Graduation. Of course weather and Fed Holidays do change this from time to time.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Paratrooper and the answers above do NOT relate to the guys you see exiting the tail of a C130 in the recruitment commercials. This is qualification to be delivered to the fight by a static line parachute from low level.

Last paratrooper drop by U.S.? Grenada?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

most likely we have troops jumping into spots in columbia on a weekly basis since we have a whole secret war going on in that country

Yeah...riiight AND in fact, I spearheaded that effort, yeah, thats the ticket. Actually, it it was about every two weeks we jumped. I even posted about it, along with pictures HERE. Please remove your tin foil hat.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

most likely we have troops jumping into spots in columbia on a weekly basis since we have a whole secret war going on in that country

Yeah...riiight AND in fact, I spearheaded that effort, yeah, thats the ticket. Actually, it it was about every two weeks we jumped. I even posted about it, along with pictures HERE. Please remove your tin foil hat.:D

You're just saying it happened to make us think it didn't happen; so it must have happened. Clever.

Freefall: well that is classified I am sure, but daily, maybe.

Matt

No, not really. I debriefed THIS ODA shortly after they got back from the box and helped them submit the paperwork for their star. The story was released in the interim and has circulated within the military community. Believe it or not, the paper work finally went through back in May 2009 and they were awarded their star in an awards ceremony in August. It was harder to get them their star than it was to do the actual mission. Most had PCS'd to other assignments and had to be brought back for the awards ceremony(see attached picture). Yes, there is video of the jump, so it did happen.;)

More about it HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi LD

Thanks for the pic that I never saw:ph34r:.

The look on the face of the guy with the maroon beret
is priceless:P

Fixed for ya
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The last mass (static-line) paratrooper drop was into the Kurdish region of Northern Iraq.
I suspect that Kurdish peshmerga (sp?) had "secured" the DZ long before American paratroopers arrived.

OTOH American, Canadian, etc. artillery spotters and forward air controllers frequently HALO or HAHO into Afghan mountains on a semi-regular basis, but being special forces types, prefer to leave the Taliban guessing about tactics.