FTP_07

Frustration......

Okay. So, how the hell do I get back to skydiving? I can't get a decent job that pays enough for me to be able to go jump. And I'm frustrated about this. I really need to go jump. I'm sick of watching videos of everyone else jumping and I can't because I'm not getting paid enough! I can't even get a decent enough job that will allow for me to jump every so many months (every 2 months as my license allows) let alone save up so I can get my own rig or do more than one jump when I can go jump - which hasn't been enough by my standards! Is there anyone else dealing with this?!

Not good at packing. Need a lot more practice.....figured I would have to do that on my own rig. Pretty sure other jumpers don't want someone brand new and wet behind the ears when it comes to packing, packing their rig......

see if they need help at manifest or scheduling; learn from the other packers techniques so that you can develop your skills
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Alright you two. I'll see what I can get done. Something has got to give - and it ain't gonna be me! LOL! I NEED to jump already. I'll see if manifest needs help, ect. I dunno though - Eloy seems like they have all the help they could possibly need/want. Thought about checking one of the smaller places though. I'll let ya'all know what becomes of it. And thanks for that last response on me being wrong. :) I hope I am.

WHAT?! Seriously?! I'm on it! Oh, and Andy - I thought I had to be licensed to pack? I mean, I have my 'A' for jumping but I thought I had to have a license to pack as well. Can you clear up any misunderstanding on that?

You need to either be a rigger or under the direct supervision of a rigger to pack a main that someone else is going to jump. That's the rule.

A lot of places let non-rated packers pack for the up-jumpers, student rigs and tandems with a rigger supervising them (how "direct" the supervision needs to be has been discussed to death).

A lot of DZs will trade jump tickets for pack jobs on the student and tandem gear.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I feel your pain.

I have a job that barely pays me enough to survive let alone skydive. I still find a way though. I try and save up as much as possible then jump every other weekend if not more. Its tough but youd be suprised how much extra spending you can cut back on to save more money for skydiving.

Last time i was at my DZ they let me pack the student rigs which helped me out more than they realize.

Where theres a will theres a way. Just bust your ass so you can skydive, its worth it.
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

WHAT?! Seriously?! I'm on it! Oh, and Andy - I thought I had to be licensed to pack? I mean, I have my 'A' for jumping but I thought I had to have a license to pack as well. Can you clear up any misunderstanding on that?

You dont need a rating to pack (at most dropzones anyway)

Hell you dont even have to be a citizen!:)
BASE 1384

Any one can pack a main parachute they're going to jump.

Any one can pack parachutes under the supervision (usually means they're somewhere on the drop zone) of an FAA rated rigger.

I've known a few 14 year old kids who packed parachutes for money and heard anecdotal reports of grade schoolers.

Well he was sure sought after by a lot of people.

He gave me better openings than I gave myself and no malfunctions on more than 1200 pack jobs for me.

He packed me in less than five minutes.

He still does a lot of packing. Easily 50 per week.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

He would be more than happy to give you pointers on packing and canopy flight.

His name is Nick. Just look for him the next time you see the PD tent at an event.

He's been the tour rep for them for the last three years. He started with them when he was 21.

And yeah..... I am proud of him.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I paid for my first 500 jumps, and first 2 rigs by packing, washing airplanes, and running for beer. BTW I was in high school. I paid for the next 1000 by teaching the FJC and being a jumpmaster for jumps only. there are lots of ways to skydive for free, and a little hard work. start by making a deal with the best packer at the dz. tell him you will give him half of your pay for the first 300 pack jobs. you will have no problem finding a willing teacher.

Hey everyone - Godziller here thinks I'm to 'fucking stupid to live through 100 jumps' just because I wasn't sure what to charge for packing. I had pm'd him to find out and that's what I got. Funny....but I've got over that. What the hell is this guys problem?