gnatt

Using my own gear for AFF training???

Almost certainly not. Student gear is specialized, having features not usually found on sport gear.

Also, students jump larger, more forgiving parachutes - much larger than your 170.

Call the DZ you at which you intend to train and get their advice and information. You have plenty of time to jump your own gear so there's no need to be in a hurry about it.

Good luck and safe landings.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

No not a Troll...Just a newby asking a silly question. I was just trying to figure out,,if I do rent student gear, how long before they would let me jump my own stuff? 10 jumps 20, 30....???

Well, it doesn't have an AAD, so not until you get an A license without one.

Have no idea what kind of 170 it is. While size DOES matter, so does the type of canopy.

Are you 120 pounds or 190 pounds? That also makes a difference.

Too many factors left out for anyone to take your post seriously.

Have you ever made a jump? Why are you buying equipment for a sport you are not actively involved in?

And why are you not in contact with dz/instructors with these questions. Are you going to trust what people say on a skydiving forum?!?!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

when ur first learning ur bound to have some rough landings, if for no other reason use their gear so u can put grass stains and beat the hell out of their stuff instead of your own. i imagine most pple use student gear atleast until they get their A, 25 jumps, and some pple continue to rent well after 25 jumps jumping different containers and canopies to figure out exactly what kind of rig is best for them.

Having your own rig before uve even started skydiving is really a pretty funny idea.

Student gear is specialized, having features not usually found on sport gear.

Just so I know...what features are on student rigs that aren't usually found on sports gear?

The student gear at our DZ and my rig are identical in terms of "features", just wondering if I'm missing something...

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

That'll depend on lots of things. First, AFF rigs are special, as already mentioned. Then, when off AFF, you'll be wanting to downsize a bit probably, most people end up with a first rig with a 1.0-1.1 wingload (you didn't mention your weight, a 170 main/reserve combo might be suitable for someone weighing about 150 lbs, and only after properly downsizing), and the model (which you do also not mention) must be suitable as well plus generally you'll try to jump a few makes and models to determine which you like best (7cell vs 9cell, hard openings or soft, how it steers and flares, so in general if you like it a lot or not), also plenty of places will require you to have a AAD and/or RSL (you don't mention where you're at).

All in all, the rig you bought may not be suitable for you at all, may not be what you want, and worst case may not even be safe (how heavy are you? does the rig fit you right? how old is it? did you get it checked out by a rigger yet?).

Why the heck did you buy a rig before even jumping?!?!? Let me guess, "you got a good deal on Ebay"

B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

For AFF? Generally you have the ability to release the pilotchute from the left side too, something you'd never want on a sports rig. Plus student rigs often have main lift web adjusters, snap buckles, and they always have RSL and AAD (for freefall student rigs anyway). Some are convertible rigs (freefall/staticline), and/or have a ripcord/springloaded pilotchute, again not features you'd want on your own rig.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just so I know...what features are on student rigs that aren't usually found on sports gear?

Static line with rigging (S/L rigs), reserve-side deployment handle (AFF rigs), SOS handle, &c.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Truth is. My friend has given me his rig to see if it will work for me. I weigh 150 lbs. The main is a Saber 1 170. He wa the same size as me.

Then the rig might work for you, provided it fits you right, you actually like the sabre 1 (which is known for brisk-to-hard openings but otherwise is a decent first canopy), the rig is safe and in decent condition and you actually want a 170 (and are allowed one by your instructors of course) all of which you'll know by the time you're downsizing. You may want to invest in a AAD though, and may HAVE to depending on where in the world you live (you haven't said yet). Or you may find you don't even like jumping at which point all this is moot :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The student gear at our DZ and my rig are identical in terms of "features", just wondering if I'm missing something...

Longer steering lines so the canopy can't be stalled. A student model AAD. Non-collapsible pilot.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Longer steering lines so the canopy can't be stalled. A student model AAD. Non-collapsible pilot.

Most definitely. Don't get ahead of the curve too early, these things are there for a reason.

Also take into account the emergency handles, our DZ uses SOS silver + dummy, every DZ has there own system and a sport setup might not be appropiate till you're licensed (or converted).