JohnRich

Third-Party USPA Advertising

I received this insurance advertisement in the mail today: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-11/1349507/USPA%20Mailing.jpg

It's accompanied by a letter from USPA director Ed Scott, on USPA letterhead, saying that every insurance quote this company receives from a USPA member will results in a $5 donation to USPA.

What do you think of this kind of junk mail? Are you offended that USPA gives out your mailing address to other companies? Or are you okay with this as long as they make money off of it, to support member services?

Should we all submit a request for a quote, even if we don't want the insurance, just to get $5 for USPA? Should we get all our friends to do it too?

I would only get a quote if you actually are looking for insurance. It just so happens I am and if they quote lower than my present companies, they got the business.

These agents are simply business people trying to make a living in a very competitive industry and it wouldn't be ethical for me to take advantage of their promotion.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

When I got this in the mail, I called up the USPA and asked them if there was an opt out option for this kind of mail. The guy I talked to said no, but they were asked the same question by many other members and are looking into the possibility of creating an opt out list. I personally hate getting this type of mail and can't stand the fact that organizations that I send my money to send my this type of crap in the mail. I have plenty of insurance and don't need any more.

1. USPA doesn't GIVE out your mailing info... they rent it out.

2. Absoultely you can opt out of having your mailing info rented by USPA. I know that I saw that option on my annual reneal form last week.

3. I am truly astonished by the distress that this seems to provoke for some. This is a very common practice among associations and other firms. If you don't want to play....opt out. Otherwise... (well you can imagine what goes here).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

What do you think of this kind of junk mail? Are you offended that USPA gives out your mailing address to other companies? Or are you okay with this as long as they make money off of it, to support member services?

Should we all submit a request for a quote, even if we don't want the insurance, just to get $5 for USPA? Should we get all our friends to do it too?

I'm fine with it, as long as USPA checks the company out to be sure it's on the level.

In this case I called to get a quote and was troubled by all the questions. The information mining went on way to long, so I gave up. An insurance quote needs to be based on your driving history, and to some degree your credit history, but this interview dug into many other details of my life. I finally had it when they wanted detail about everybody else living in my shared house. Enough is enough. It's a rotten company that seems more interested in developing a data file than selling insurance, and I encourage folks to ignore the ad.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

1. USPA doesn't GIVE out your mailing info... they rent it out.

2. Absoultely you can opt out of having your mailing info rented by USPA. I know that I saw that option on my annual reneal form last week.

3. I am truly astonished by the distress that this seems to provoke for some. This is a very common practice among associations and other firms. If you don't want to play....opt out. Otherwise... (well you can imagine what goes here).

I'm on the opt-out list and got the ad too.
I think HQ thinks this is one of the incentive benefits of membership - like the Hertz rental coupon.
eg If USPA gets a cut then they can send you advertising regardless if you opt out on your renewal form.
BTW, I've never used the Hertz coupon because they are still more expensive - even with the discount.

Big red flags went off in my mind when I read that they would give $5 just for filling out a quote form.
That is data mining, confirmed by Tom. The first page of the form says "(Optional: for marketing or research only.)" twice.

USPA should stick to skydiving. It has hard enough time doing that right.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker